The weird scene at the end of episode 16

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Azemaria Jones

The weird scene at the end of episode 16

Post by Azemaria Jones »

I just saw the episode 16 for the first time since long, and have a question:

What is that broken car at the end of the episode? When Albert ask where Bob is now, the camera focus on Cooper and then one see that scene with the car, then the camera run very fast towards a bright light and an owl appears. It is a vision of Cooper?
4_8_15_16_23_42
Ben Linus suporter.
motoko
Roadhouse Member

Re: The weird scene at the end of episode 16

Post by motoko »

Always wondered about that car myself, but never thought too deeply on it. Sorry, no theories here. Anyone else?
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

poetic license from the director -most likely Frost or Lynch even gave it a second thought.

And personally the first time when I cringed that the show was going downhill -the first of many unneeded special effects that in my opinion keepen the show.

My friend just watched the series for the first time -tearing through the first episodes lightning fast and was so into it -he got to this one and called me up complaining.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

I agree with everyone on this. That's a pretty self-indulgent bit there, and considering how shoddy the FX are (when the obviously green-screened owl comes flying in), I wish they'd left it out. I also think that lightning bolt outside the Roadhouse looks silly in the same episode, but maybe it looked ok back in 1990...
Last edited by TheArm on Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
JFK
Roadhouse Member

Post by JFK »

no, back then it looked just as fake and unneeded as it does now.
james
RR Diner Member

Post by james »

I do think the whole scene inside the Roadhouse is a bit silly, it seems too forced and obviously 'otherworldly.' Especially the music that was used, which features that familiar chime sound - I am not keen on that either. The Roadhouse scene to me seems to be similar to the later Owl Cave scene and stand as an ill-judged excursion into plain silliness that should have been avoided. I don't know who was writing these things but putting the supernatural right into a real world setting in Twin Peaks always felt wrong.

Otherwise, I quite liked the other supernatural /fantastical elements in this episode - sadly these were left out of a lot of later episodes - I don't think that direction towards more pedestrian stories benefitted the show.
The Magician
Roadhouse Member

Post by The Magician »

All of my friends (or 6 of them, specifically) that I have recently converted into being Twin Peaks obsessers are convinced that episode 16 is the best episode. I am not convinced (14, 28 and 29 get my vote), but it is certainly one of the best. The end sequence is terrifying, and all of my friends recoiled in horror at the owl. It is a shame many of you are too jaded to appreciate it.

I think the wrecked car was just to show that BOB is hiding somewhere out there in the depths of the woods, in areas that no one has stepped foot into for quite sometime, waiting for the right time to emerge...
Sometimes things can happen just like this. *snap*

J'ai une âme solitaire.
james
RR Diner Member

Post by james »

Ah come on, it wasn't directly showing that BOB was an Owl! As for Lynch's 'complex vision' of what BOB was, I think you're seeing more than there is to see there. What's wrong with a bit of fun and playfulness in the series? How in the preceding episodes or in general was Lynch's vision of BOB complex as opposed to just vague?
DigitalGhost
Roadhouse Member

Post by DigitalGhost »

james wrote:Ah come on, it wasn't directly showing that BOB was an Owl! As for Lynch's 'complex vision' of what BOB was, I think you're seeing more than there is to see there. What's wrong with a bit of fun and playfulness in the series? How in the preceding episodes or in general was Lynch's vision of BOB complex as opposed to just vague?
Couldn't agree more.
"Look at the light climbing up the aerial"
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

I don't like it for the simple fact that visually it is cheap, hokey and just plain ugly -like most of the episodes to follow.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

By the way, the only episode to categorically state that Bob is an owl is the Lynch-directed episode 9. That's not the real problem with episode 16. The Devil is usually in the details, but this time he's actually in the cheap and glaring video effects. And in bad writing, like in the Roadhouse and sheriff's station scenes.
"Who's the towhead? Those drugs are LEGAL!"
james
RR Diner Member

Post by james »

Audrey H surely not every episode after this is cheap/tacky? I don't agree with that. There was just a lot of fluctuation in tone and the stories were all over the place and never really took form again. I actually liked this 'cheap' visual effect. Didn't look that bad to me. I'd rather have this than the door knob thing with Josie - now that was just plain daft.
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

Episode 9 has an owl superimposed over BOB's head. How much clearer can one actually get? (I mean, of course, in a more vague sense. I never meant to say that Bob is an owl, just that he and the owls represent the same thing. Which is the pretty obvious meaning of the scene.)
"Who's the towhead? Those drugs are LEGAL!"
james
RR Diner Member

Post by james »

My view was that this scene doesn't go against anything Lynch has shown us in preceding episodes, though. It doesn't imply anything specifically. It does have a horror film feel to it, but Twin Peaks always had an element of that, so its in-keeping with things that have been there from the start. Even though the roadhouse scenes earlier in the episode are too 'magical' in feel for my liking, I liked the ending regardless of the special effects being not up to big budget standards. Obviously Twin Peaks was not a show that needed or could afford amazing sfx.
Pete Martell
RR Diner Member

Post by Pete Martell »

DonnaNotYou wrote:James, I don't think the fact that I don't think BOB is a spirit that flies around in an owl means I'm "seeing more than there is" to see. :lol: .)
He clearly stated that even though Bob isn't 'part-owl',it doesn't mean he is more complex that he seems to be.Although,i must admit interpretations are flying over Bob's true identity.
Also,we can see that you need to laugh a lot :roll:
Evenreven wrote:By the way, the only episode to categorically state that Bob is an owl is the Lynch-directed episode 9. That's not the real problem with episode 16. The Devil is usually in the details, but this time he's actually in the cheap and glaring video effects. And in bad writing, like in the Roadhouse and sheriff's station scenes.
Evenreven wrote:Episode 9 has an owl superimposed over BOB's head. How much clearer can one actually get? (I mean, of course, in a more vague sense. I never meant to say that Bob is an owl, just that he and the owls represent the same thing. Which is the pretty obvious meaning of the scene.)
DonnaNotYou wrote:evenreven, I don't even know what the argument is you're trying to push. I said I don't think BOB is a spirit that flies around in an owl & you say "Lynch stated BOB is an owl" then you say you "never meant to say BOB is an owl". Seems you're just following me around & arguing with anything I say.
:shock: Don't mess with idiots,cause they'll bring you to their own level and emerge winners due to experience.