How do you feel about Fire Walk With Me?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

How do you feel about Fire Walk With Me?

Love it
69%
Like it
17%
Dislike it
14%
Hate it
No votes

Total votes: 58
crazyscottishguy
RR Diner Member

Re: How do you feel about Fire Walk With Me?

Post by crazyscottishguy »

I truly love this movie. To me it's always associated with feelings of nostalgia, loss, despair and hope. The film is one indescribable and tremendous soul-shattering experience. 8)
Hank_Jennings
Roadhouse Member

Post by Hank_Jennings »

I love FWWM. When I first saw it, I was stunned by the tone of the film, & wasn't quite used to the fact that it didn't have any subplots featuring characters cut from the film. I still thought it was a very good film, & I really loved the performances from Sheryl Lee & Ray Wise.

I watched it a second time, & absolutely loved it even more. My "complaints" I had before (I didn't really think the film was flawed because of this, but I wasn't used to the style, thats all), weren't a problem for the second viewing. I've now seen it more times since then, & it is now my favourite film (has been for quite a while, actually). It is such an emotional experience when I watch it, & I love the beautiful photography, & the darker tone. I like it more than the TV series.

Personally, I always thought Lynch was right to make a prequel, because I never cared for any of the post Laura Palmer stuff in the series. I did love the final episode for the real abstract mind blowing style of it, but most of the stuff that happened before (& after the wrapping up of Laura's murder), just bored me.
GeekBoyEric74
RR Diner Member

Post by GeekBoyEric74 »

I love FWWM. But my relationship to this movie is weird, because I got my hands on the shooting script several months before the movie came out and devoured it. I remember I got it at the Fangoria Weekend of Horrors convention in early 1992, and then I found a corner to myself somewhere at the con and read it from cover to cover. So when the movie first came out, I loved it but kept thinking how I missed every single scene that was cut. I could not look at the movie objectively really, at least not then.

Now it's 16 years later, and I just see the movie as the movie, not what might have been, except a few key exceptions ( I'll get to that later ) I love the Deer Meadow sequence, because it's the flip side of the Twin Peaks pilot; unlike in Twin Peaks, where Laura's death shatters the town, in Deer Meadow no one cares about Teresa's death. The Sheriff's Dept. and Hap's are the ugly flip side of the Twin Peaks police and the Double R Diner. So I love that weird dichotomy.

I was very happy with the return to the Laura Palmer storyline. I felt once her murder was resolved the bottom fell out from under the series, and it didn't feel like Twin Peaks again until the last 5 episodes or so, and then never nearly as good as it was in the begining. Laura to me was the most fascinating character on the show, even if she wasn't really on the show in the strictest sense.

Still, as a fan of the show, I felt there were some glaring omissions. I don't just mean characters either. Audrey was one my favorite character on the series, but her omission wasn't glaring to me because she and Laura were not friends. Same goes for Ed, Nadine, Pete, the Sherriff's station gang, and even the Briggs family. I did feel that some of Laura's activities that were documented in the series as having happened before her death ( like her visit to Josie Packard, her tapes to Dr. Jacoby, Johnny Horne, her final visit to Harold Smith to write her final Diary entry on the night of her death ) all of these things SHOULD have been in the movie, or at least reffered to, and were not. Considering how well everything else matched up, that to me was always lame, and kinda lazy of the screenwriters. And as I mentioned earlier today in another thread, the omission of the first Palmer family scene really hurts the final film in my eyes.

But at the end of the day, the movie is a wonderful coda to the series, and it just continues to entrance me every time I watch it.
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

GeekBoyEric74 wrote:II did feel that some of Laura's activities that were documented in the series as having happened before her death ( like her visit to Josie Packard, her tapes to Dr. Jacoby, Johnny Horne, her final visit to Harold Smith to write her final Diary entry on the night of her death ) all of these things SHOULD have been in the movie, or at least reffered to, and were not.
I always wanted to see her damn cat... :)
Simbabbad
Roadhouse Member

Post by Simbabbad »

"Fire Walk with Me" is actually what got me into Lynch. I've seen Elephant Man and Dune before, but even though I liked them, it wasn't ground breaking for me. "Fire Walk with Me" was, and I didn't even know the series at all !

The funny thing is, when I bought the first tape of the series to know more about Twin Peaks, I thought it was terrible and confusing (the pilote episode was missing and it wasn't mentionned anywhere), and the tone was too different for me.

Of course, a few years later, I saw the series from the very start and I got hooked from the pilote episode to Leland's death, and now I love it, but back then I thought the movie was vastly superior to the series (and I still like it better).

It's just deeper, to me.
appleavengergrl

Post by appleavengergrl »

One of my most favourite movies of all time. It didn't have what I call the extended episode feel other series movies have, it's really a movie in its own right. For most part people I know who saw it really liked it. I read a version of the shooting script which has all the characters but from what I recall, little to none of the humour of the show. I don't think that was intended at all, really FWWM is aimed at getting at the core of Laura's world which was dark and filled with pain. Of course we know what happened to her, but seeing it is another story. We get snippets of the murder in the show, but to witness the scene in its entirety is absolutely bone-chilling and something that will never leave you. After seeing it I had much more of an affinity with Laura and Sheryl Lee is absolutely spellbinding in the part. The script is worth a viewing if you can find it it answers a lot of questions people had and creates many more as well. I would love to see the full version, but I still have a huge fondness for the movie as it is. The casting of hitherto unseen characters such as Desmond and Stanley is spot on, I'm a secret Chris Issac fan now even though his acting wasn't anything brilliant. Harry Dean Stanton was born to play Carl. Yes I too am I dismayed by the replacement of Lara Flynn-Boyle with the unremarkable Moira Kelly, a major draw back in this movie. I heard Lara's mother wasn't thrilled with her taking part, probably due to the nudity. Kelly doesn't totally destroy the movie, she just throws it out of kilter since we're used to Flynn-Boyle as Donna. Her face is almost as iconic to the show as Sheryl Lee's. In a way though I am glad the other characters don't get that much of a look in since we've been with them through out the show, and quite frankly I was really tired of Lucy and Andy by the final episode. I watched this when I was 15, right after I first saw the series, since I thought it would have some mention of Cooper escaping the Black Lodge. The script seems to imply Coop and Laura end up trapped in there forever, while the film, with the angel coming for Laura, implied to me that Cooper gave up his chance to go for Laura to be free. That's my take on the final scene, I may be way off.

Still an amazing film, one that I come back to again and again.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

now now, we all know truman and mike rescue coop from the lodge :wink:
human germ
Roadhouse Member

Post by human germ »

enjoyed it; i own the dvd. the musical score is masterful.

i loved the quote from the obnoxious guy at the police station who'd said, when asked if there was a phone availiable, [i'm paraphrasing here as i cannot remember the exact words]' {there's a phone here}; it's got a little ring'. i've even used that quip as a signature on another bbbs...
done bun; can't be undone