the Missing Pieces

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Re: Twin Peaks: The Missing Pieces - analysis/thoughts etc

Post by Jasper »

People escape with whatever type of high suits them, and I think what suits them is partly or largely based on individual biology. For many, cocaine creates an intense feeling of euphoria, so I don't think it's odd that a troubled person would choose it.

Also, with regards to what Joel said about successful people, cocaine fits with Laura's absurd number of activities.
bluefrank
Roadhouse Member

Post by bluefrank »

Am going to post this here, in the hope that some fellow Peakies, might take something from it.
The Lynch/Twin Peaks/Mulholland Drive aspects, are situated towards the latter part of the post body. The other stuff is dependent upon your knowledge/experience of the other media & personnel involved.

There is some good stuff in there, even if I say so myself. Everyday that goes by...I am more and more certain about the 'unique genius' that David really is...he never fails to blow my mind! My mind was originally blown, back in the mid to late 80's...and here I am today, still the same!

Riding Kubrick, Spielberg & Lynch's 'Rotating' Wheel of Fortune
http://subliminalsynchrosphere.blogspot ... ating.html
Some will think I am mad, mentally ill, schizophrenic even...but I don't care. Fear is the mind killer...so I act accordingly.

I hope that I might break through, even if it's just one person from this board. David's work can be hard to penetrate, and you Dugpa guys will know him and his work, better than most. I would love for some Dugpa feedback, either here or via my blog.

Thanks for your time.
Valaquen
Roadhouse Member

Post by Valaquen »

I recently watched a fan-edit of FWWM with the Missing Pieces restored (clocking in at around three and a half hours). For me, it was even better than the release version, which I thought was pretty damn masterful already. The only material I didn't appreciate was Shelley and Leo at home and Andy and Lucy's little bit near the end, once Truman leaves the station. So, there's not a lot I'd discard! I'd even like to see more - some hint of Shelley and Bobby's relationship, for instance, but, like the Horne family, I don't think those are absolutely necessary for this story.
Jasper wrote:I think that's right, and there's also the line in the script from Mrs. Tremond, "Why not be composed of materials and combinations of atoms?" That could indicate that these spirits gain some semblance of physicality by arriving partway in our dimension, through possession of humans (and owls) or otherwise. Also through the use of electricity as a medium for travel.
For what it's worth, I asked Michael J. Anderson about the Man From Another Place and if he was afraid of Bob, etc. He answered: "The Man from Another Place was not a material being. MFAP could see inside Bob and so was effected by him. Only the fear in others could cause MFAP to feel fear."
LostInTheMovies wrote:I'm wondering what people make of Laura's use of the ring at the end of the film, where it suddenly seems to switch meaning and take on a more positive, active function.
The ring could be an 'amoral' or 'neutral' power; it may have allowed Laura's journey to the 'Waiting' Room and her subsequent salvation at the end of the film.
Rami Airola wrote:Yeah, I think the CHROME line is a way to say that things like mirrors can reflect them.
I think it's before Teresa's death, because Jeffries was surprised to see the year 1989 in the calendar.
Laura died in 1989 and Teresa a year before, in early 1988. I'm sure it's a mistake, because when Philip disappears again Cole gets a call telling him Chester Desmond is missing, which surely didn't take a year to occur.
james
RR Diner Member

Re: Valoquen

Post by james »

But, the Shelly and Leo scene is in the 1992 cut of the film. There is an alternate take of that scene in the deleted scenes - I don't know how this fan edit integrated that?
Valaquen
Roadhouse Member

Re: Valoquen

Post by Valaquen »

james wrote:But, the Shelly and Leo scene is in the 1992 cut of the film. There is an alternate take of that scene in the deleted scenes - I don't know how this fan edit integrated that?
You're right, the Leo and Shelley scene comes after Laura's painting/dream sojourn in the theatrical cut. I merely forgot about it!
mangobanan

Post by mangobanan »

Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but here is a little note from a Norwegian TP fan: The Norwegian phrase that the Palmers are practicing is actually mistranslated. "Hyggelig å møte dem" means "nice to meet you" (literally word for word), not "How are you". :)
Clueless
Roadhouse Member

Post by Clueless »

mlsstwrt wrote:
I haven't seen this mentioned before but did anyone think it was interesting that Laura's drug of choice was cocaine? If you're looking to escape, to feel numb, then opiates or alcohol would seem more suitable. Not that I, cough, know anything about illicit drugs of course.
Note that Laura always uses before her sexual exploits. She takes a hit before meeting James in the janitor' s room, before the party in the Pink Room and while preparing for the cabin foursome with Leo and Jacques. She uses because she is traumatized by sex, but like many victims of sexual abuse she feels compelled to relive the experiences in a manner where she is confident and the aggressor. (The same reason that shell-shocked soldiers feel that going to the gun range helps reduce their panic attacks.) She's needs stimulants like cocaine, or aphrodisiac-confidence boosters like alcohol to psyche herself for these experiences. Think opiates would make her sleepy and listless and not really conductive for the sexually charged experiences she is compelled toward.

To bring the discussion back to Missing Pieces: what do you think the significance of the physical fight with the Dear Meadow police? Does it lead further credence to the idea that Desmond's disappearance was due to the police? We also find out that Cliff Howard was trying to sell baby laxatives to Bobby- how much did he know about the connection between Banks and Laura?

I almost think one of the big connections we are missing, and that Laura is hinting at in the Two Worlds interview, is the connection between the Ring, MIKE, Phillip, Deer Meadow, Banks and Cliff Howard. We can reasonably assume that if Cable and Howard were cocaine dealers they may have been selling to Banks, so they had a reason to make the case unsolvable. I think the fact that Howard was killed by Bobby has more significance and consequences than meet the eye.

Also the line from the electrition about Hap's diner being visited by the FBI in the 50's. Probably had something to do with the lodge spirits.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

You know, I was struck watching this again how similar - almost weirdly so - it felt to Lynch's Inland Empire, particularly in the confounding building of internal logic and narrative mechanism through extreme non-sequitur visuals and dialogue (namely the convenience store scene, the added scenes with Gerard and his half-seance, the ring). Before the Missing Pieces I always saw IE as a progressive evolution of his 90s/00s films but it seems like something was burning right back as early as FWWM. Interesting anyway in light of S3, because I think what we're going to get is something very much like FWWM if you added some of the more soapy parts of the MP (the hilarious scene with Andy and Lucy, the mill scene etc).
Johnsusername
Roadhouse Member

Post by Johnsusername »

I finally got around to watching the Q2 fan edit of FWWM and...thought it was amazing. I know I know - it's not Lynch's vision. FWWM is one of my favourite films of all time and I agree that an artist's work shouldn't be tampered with. But saying all that I loved it. 3.5 hours of FWWM? Yes please! And it's still stuff that Lynch filmed - for one reason or another never made the final cut. I probably wouldn't have put everything in there (Ed/Norma, Shelley/Leo, Andy/Lucy) - but the extra footage of the Bowie section of the Teresa Banks section, wow, loved it :) And the extra scenes in the Palmer household really reinforced how normal they might have looked on the outside but what a nightmare it was inside.

I can't wait to watch it again :D
bluefrank
Roadhouse Member

Post by bluefrank »

Johnsusername wrote:I finally got around to watching the Q2 fan edit of FWWM and...thought it was amazing. I know I know - it's not Lynch's vision. FWWM is one of my favourite films of all time and I agree that an artist's work shouldn't be tampered with. But saying all that I loved it. 3.5 hours of FWWM? Yes please! And it's still stuff that Lynch filmed - for one reason or another never made the final cut. I probably wouldn't have put everything in there (Ed/Norma, Shelley/Leo, Andy/Lucy) - but the extra footage of the Bowie section of the Teresa Banks section, wow, loved it :) And the extra scenes in the Palmer household really reinforced how normal they might have looked on the outside but what a nightmare it was inside.

I can't wait to watch it again :D
Agreed, (although it's not strictly canon) it's a 3.5 hour Lynch film and it's Twin Peaks - how can anyone not be happy with that? I thought the Q2 edit was superb. When I first put it on, I could hardly contain my excitement about the 3.5 hours that were to unfold. It's now my preferred way of watching FWWM. The same is also true of Spice Diver's Dune (Redux) 3 hour epic - I love that version too. I certainly won't be filing either of these edits under the tag of Judas Booth or Alan Smithee! :)
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Re: the Missing Pieces

Post by Snailhead »

I also really enjoyed the extended cut of FWWM. I was hesitant at first, since I didn't like the Northwest Passage fan edit at all (though I admire the work that went into it), but this one was a success. My only gripe was that I wish they'd put in the shot of Cooper talking to Diane - I think that scene is highly underrated and gives Coop a much needed moment of levity.
ciapdrulan

Post by ciapdrulan »

Snailhead wrote:I also really enjoyed the extended cut of FWWM. I was hesitant at first, since I didn't like the Northwest Passage fan edit at all (though I admire the work that went into it), but this one was a success. My only gripe was that I wish they'd put in the shot of Cooper talking to Diane - I think that scene is highly underrated and gives Coop a much needed moment of levity.

I agree for the Diana/Coop sciene, but I reall don't know where it could be put. The only pace is before Cooper entering Gordon's office, but in this case it'd ruin the entrance with the music. And if it was put after, it'd ruin the dramaturgy...
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

ciapdrulan wrote:
Snailhead wrote:I also really enjoyed the extended cut of FWWM. I was hesitant at first, since I didn't like the Northwest Passage fan edit at all (though I admire the work that went into it), but this one was a success. My only gripe was that I wish they'd put in the shot of Cooper talking to Diane - I think that scene is highly underrated and gives Coop a much needed moment of levity.

I agree for the Diana/Coop sciene, but I reall don't know where it could be put. The only pace is before Cooper entering Gordon's office, but in this case it'd ruin the entrance with the music. And if it was put after, it'd ruin the dramaturgy...
That is true, I didn't think of it that way.
Driftwood
RR Diner Member

Post by Driftwood »

the 3 hour cut is nice to have but I don't like that the extended cut has the music from the theatrical cut of the convenience store scene just stuck on top the missing pieces version. the missing pieces version is more terrifying as is, with just the electricity sounds and weird noises. the theatrical cut is more dreamy and glitchy. they should of picked one or the other instead of trying to combine them.

also like someone already pointed out the dates are screwed up in the jeffries scene. chet disappears in 1988. originally coop shows up investigates finds nothing, then it moves on to laura and 1989 and then it goes back to philadelphia and jeffries. you can tell in the jeffries scene that all the mentions of chet desmond are dubbed in. but other than the timeline it's still nice to see the jeffries scene layed out close to how it originally was in the script.

Man I really wish any of the earlier scripts of fire walk with me would have showed up out there somewhere by now. I've wanted to get a look at those almost as badly as I did the missing pieces.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

LostInTheMovies wrote:
james wrote:
LostInTheMovies wrote: I don't think the performance is intended to be particularly subtle (which isn't to say it's not complex) - I'd compare to silent-film acting in many ways. More about power than nuance. Lee's expressive range is incredible. As for looking 17, eh, nobody in the town of Twin Peaks really looks their age, do they?! No wonder they all stop going to high school a few episodes in...
i agree completely with this, i think her performance is the opposite of subtle, which is not to say that it is not good or in some way complex.. one thing is for sure, it took a lot of guts and heart (or should i say blood, sweat and tear) out of Sheryl Lee to play that part like she did. and to think that she wasn't even an actor when Lynch found her, just a beautiful face.

as for not looking 17, that kind of bugs me but i noticed that American movies and series do this all the time for some reason.. European shows are much better at actually letting 18 year olds playing 18 year olds, or having a 15 year old amongst the cast, etc. i think the main reason is that they know that they are going to be "subtly" play on these "kids" sexuality so better play it safe and hire a 25 year old instead. of course in countries like Sweden and France the age of consent is 15-16 but that's neither here nor there.

the only one i think reasonably could pass is Phoebe Augustine as Donna... definitely not Lara Flynn Boyle. overall i think Phoebe Augustine made for a better Donna in many ways, at least the way in how her character was SUPPOSED to be.

i recently saw FWWM for the first time in an (almost packed) theater (what an experience, what a dream come to life) and since i got the Blu-Ray set recently i decided to watch "The Missing Pieces" this morning. I bought the Blu-Ray box recently but no Blu-Ray so a download would have to do, but it was HQ, and i do own it so i think that is OK (but we all have our own moral compasses). anyway, i woke up about 6 this morning and I had a late day at work so i didn't need to go out of bed for about 2 hours. So I put on my Koss phones, the curtains were still closed and no light, and put on The Missing Pieces and put my laptop right close to my face with my KOSS headphones on. beautiful experience!

i had before seen it once but after that i've only seen it as part of Q2's FWWM fan edit, incorporting everything (almost) back into the film.. that is an interesting experience to have made at least once IMO, but "FWWM" and "The Missing Pieces" as separate entitites works a lot better imo. Lynch did a great job on this art film, outtake film, or whatever to call it. i like how he put everything in chronological order, if you have seen the movie you have no trouble watching it as a standalone and there are so many INCREDIBLE scenes here that works miracles on their own, while they would take away a lot of momentum from the actual film. and we must be very thankful that he presented them in the best possible quality and really went to work on the edit, adding some cool digital visual and effects (these are few but put to good use), and really treating this material as he would've done a proper movie.

imagine how different this footage would have been if he just had thrown this out there the way the "Wild At Heart" deleted footage was added to the Lime Green Set. apparantly that was a workprint, and the only existing copy. i'm glad we got to see it anyway, but wow what i would give for a version of that material to be found in pristine quality and remastered and put out in the same way as "The Missing Pieces".

we've actually got LOADS of deleted scenes from Lynch films.. very thankful to be a Lynch fan that way. Stanley Kubrick had all his miles of unused scenes destroyed. the film was the final statement.. but i love to be able to see some extra stuff like this. so we have:

* "Eraserhead" - from what I understand basically two very short scenes that were found somewhere that was on the Lynch 2000 DVD but even if you own that you can't watch it as it was connected to DL.com. i would love to see this. How long might these scenes be?

* "Dune" - probably at least an hour worth of material excised from the final cut has been released, most of it in pristine quality but badly in need for editing due to incredibly bad/unreasonable cutting, soundtrack problems, etc. i once again use this opportunity to mention my thread in the David Lynch / Mark Frost forums on why it's a good thing to watch "Dune" in Black & White and while the Spicediver fanedit honors David Lynch's true vision much more than the theatrical cut.

* "Blue Velvet" - after many years, Lynch found, remastered, redited and rolled out 50+ minutes worth of beautiful deleted scenes. A dream come true for any "B.V." fans and some of the scenes are just WOW. this is like the little brother of "The Missing Pieces"

"Wild At Heart" - Lynch found a workprint of the 3+ hour movie lying around and was amazed, saying "it was like being back on those roads with Lula and Sailor again". and it really is, i think there's like an hour of deleted scenes, lots of totally axed storylines, new apperances from Jingle Dell and all kinds of stuff. The quality is very shaky so it's not really watchable more than once or twice for the curiousity value imo. I'm still thankful we have it!

"Twin Peaks" / "Twin Peaks: FWWM" - Some small scenes here and there from the series, nothing to spectacular although there's a few good ones from the pilot (the gazebo for example haha). FWWM we of course know and love as the best outtake reel ever released.

"Lost Highway" / "Mulholland Dr." / "The Straight Story" - of course with "M.D." we have a bad second-second-grade copy of the bothed pilot which has a few random new scenes and some alternate takes. not much to write home about.. what's really interesting is the addition of Betty's line "...and now I'm in this dream place"! during the house visit. Otherwise i don't think there's been anything releaed from these three movies, correct?

"Inland Empire" - here good ol' Lynch took a different approach as the deleted material wasn't really deleted at all, but rather presented as its own outtake movie that stand by and compliment the movie (very much like The Missing Pieces does to FWWM). since "Inland Empire" already is so damn confusing it adds a lot of questions whether this stuff should be seen as canon or not. I know it's not possible to buy it on the European market (R1 DVD only). Some of it is quite interesting and has a nice mood, and some of it is extremely tedious. a really mixed bag that I count completely apart from the true "Inland Empire" experience.