Post by Jerry Horne »

There are several versions of the script out there. Here is one of them:

http://www.lynchnet.com/fwwm/fwwmscript.html
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Re: The Script

Post by claaa7 »

thanks for posting. i have glanced at the script before but never really sat down and read a considerable chunk of it.. it's interesting because it proves how close David Lynch follows the word on paper; if you combine "FWWM" and "Missing Pieces" there's really only small changes in the dialouge and a few minor scenes that i've seen so far. it's amazing what a fantastic atmosphere is created around these words, which in the wrong hands would be pretty mundane stuff, with solid directing, editing, musical scoring, etc.

if you look at the scripts of movies by Stanley Kubrick for example the script only seems to be a very, very loose formula to start building from. it's interesting to see how different two of my favorite directors work from paper to film.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

on the other hand, the final episode of Twin Peaks is the exact opposite of following the shooting script to a "T" so maybe he really liked what Engels had put down for him (as Lynch doesn't physically write anything himself from what i understand).
Cde.
Roadhouse Member

Post by Cde. »

The biggest change is the addition of the angels, which are necessary. The ending here is more and more darkness piling up with each new scene, and an ambiguous, doom laden final shot. A very evil vibe to end on.
claaa7 wrote:on the other hand, the final episode of Twin Peaks is the exact opposite of following the shooting script to a "T" so maybe he really liked what Engels had put down for him (as Lynch doesn't physically write anything himself from what i understand).
That's his process with Frost, but Lynch gets first credit here even though Engels name comes before his alphabetically, so I'd be very surprised if he didn't write anything himself.
Lynch has to physically put things down on paper sometimes, or else there'd be no script for Blue Velvet, Wild at Heart or Mulholland Drive. Even Inland Empire had pre-written scenes, if not a whole completed script.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

Cde. wrote:The biggest change is the addition of the angels, which are necessary. The ending here is more and more darkness piling up with each new scene, and an ambiguous, doom laden final shot. A very evil vibe to end on.
claaa7 wrote:on the other hand, the final episode of Twin Peaks is the exact opposite of following the shooting script to a "T" so maybe he really liked what Engels had put down for him (as Lynch doesn't physically write anything himself from what i understand).
That's his process with Frost, but Lynch gets first credit here even though Engels name comes before his alphabetically, so I'd be very surprised if he didn't write anything himself.
Lynch has to physically put things down on paper sometimes, or else there'd be no script for Blue Velvet, Wild at Heart or Mulholland Drive. Even Inland Empire had pre-written scenes, if not a whole completed script.
i just finished the script, you're right that it's relentlessly dark without the inclusion of the angels or really any sort of hope at all... i'm glad it's out there for us to read. i doubt the scene with Truman and Josie was filmed. i can't imagine Ontkean doing that monolouge about fish eye haha..

i'm not so sure that Lynch puts very much things down on paper when it comes to writing scripts.. i'm not basing that only on Mark Frost's working process but also from a documentary about Lynch in the '80s, an interview with Lynch about writing "Wild at Heart", etc. he has an assistant that writes it down for him, putting the words down on paper while he dictates them for him/her. that's what i meant by Engels likely being the hand that physically wrote out the words
Cde.
Roadhouse Member

Post by Cde. »

claaa7 wrote:i'm not so sure that Lynch puts very much things down on paper when it comes to writing scripts.. i'm not basing that only on Mark Frost's working process but also from a documentary about Lynch in the '80s, an interview with Lynch about writing "Wild at Heart", etc. he has an assistant that writes it down for him, putting the words down on paper while he dictates them for him/her. that's what i meant by Engels likely being the hand that physically wrote out the words
Huh, interesting stuff. He's very lucky to have that; the brain can go in different directions when the body is left to wander and not tied down in front of a machine.