Missing Pieces - Ear-y audio

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

StrangerDanger
RR Diner Member

Missing Pieces - Ear-y audio

Post by StrangerDanger »

Re: FWWM - Missing Pieces

Anybody tried reversing audio from the scenes starting at 14:17, 46:49 & 47:57? Not necessarily at those specific times, but in the scenes starting at those times (some of them at those specific times).

I'm talking about:

"I am the arm, and l sound like this - [HOLLERING]"

Scanning the telegraph mast - [FAINT HOLLERING]

MFAP waving hand across formica table - [FAINT HOLLERING]

Convenience Store Meeting - [FAINT SYNTHETIC HOLLERING AFTER "FROM PURE AIR" IS SPOKEN, AMBIENT HOWL THROUGHOUT ENTIRE SCENE IS SAME BACKWARD-FORWARD, JUMPING MAN'S OCCASIONAL SCREECH IS SAME BACKWARD-FORWARD, BOB'S & MFAP'S GUFFAWING TOWARD THE END IS SAME BACKWARD-FORWARD]

Reversing these parts is interesting. I've recorded them to Audacity via my computer. If it's okay with folks and you want it, l can upload to Soundcloud or Picosong or something. Alternatively, l've given you the time markers - you can record those parts yourself, looking out for the things l've mentioned.

Record into Audacity, splice out what you don't need, then reverse the whole lot.

Additionally, for the hollering, play at an insanely fast speed, the result is a cross between the famous kettle boiling sample used in early hip hop / dance music (when reversed), and the Roland Alpha Juno "hoover" sound (when played forward).

There's more to the hollering, but it takes a misspent youth to understand ... l'd rather not be explicit haha (forum rules).

Notice the preponderance of palindromic sounds pertaining to the Black Lodge. Also the name "BOB" and the phrase "WOW BOB WOW". Similarly, the concept of magic squares and their ancient association with demonology. Lynch and Frost are geniuses (genies?) of the highest order.
leeeET's ROCK!
[ I've permanently left the forum ... Dugpa is a dodgy name, plus l'm too busy. Keep the :?: :idea: ]
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Re: Missing Pieces - Ear-y audio

Post by claaa7 »

i'm sorry but i don't really understand the point. why sampling and reversing the audio of the hollering? it's pretty clear that it is there in all those scenes, what it means is up for debate but the audio doesn't hold any further mysteries to be unraveled.
StrangerDanger
RR Diner Member

Re: Missing Pieces - Ear-y audio

Post by StrangerDanger »

claaa7 wrote:i'm sorry but i don't really understand the point. why sampling and reversing the audio of the hollering? it's pretty clear that it is there in all those scenes, what it means is up for debate but the audio doesn't hold any further mysteries to be unraveled.
The other stuff is also profound, e.g. the "palindromic" sounds, how they relate to things going round in circles, and the concept of magic squares in demonology (l'm not too clued up on the latter).

As for the hollering, maybe you might recognise the sounds if you have had the right experiences? Taps nose.
leeeET's ROCK!
[ I've permanently left the forum ... Dugpa is a dodgy name, plus l'm too busy. Keep the :?: :idea: ]