Criterion edition 10/17/17

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Re: Criterion edition 10/17/17

Post by eyeboogers »

SpookyDollhouse wrote:Lil word of caution about this release: Criterion's had compression problems with some of their titles the past 3 years, Mulholland Drive being one of them. (Macroblocking artifacts abound) They're cramming the movie, deleted scenes, and extras from the 10th boxset disc onto one disc. Could be looking at potential artifact city which is a shame. Why they couldn't spread it out across 2 discs like CBS did is beyond me. Criterion is all about film preservation and still they have issues like this. :?
Recently Criterion have released single disc - but dual layer, blu rays for long films. One example is "Barry Lyndon". Let's hope that will be the case here as well.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Is Criterion using the CBS transfer? These look identical to me.
900__twin_peaks_fire_walk__CI-180720212830617942_blu-ray__.jpg
900__twin_peaks_fire_walk__CI-180720212830617942_blu-ray__.jpg (213.88 KiB) Viewed 21231 times
900__twin_peaks_fire_walk__CI-78486212830617942_blu-ray__.jpg
900__twin_peaks_fire_walk__CI-78486212830617942_blu-ray__.jpg (212.02 KiB) Viewed 21231 times
900__twin_peaks_fire_walk__CI-38841942430617943_blu-ray__.jpg
900__twin_peaks_fire_walk__CI-38841942430617943_blu-ray__.jpg (216.71 KiB) Viewed 21231 times
900__twin_peaks_fire_walk__CI-132179401630617945_blu-ray__.jpg
900__twin_peaks_fire_walk__CI-132179401630617945_blu-ray__.jpg (217.65 KiB) Viewed 21231 times
Full review here: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film6/blu-ray_ ... lu-ray.htm
Last edited by Agent Sam Stanley on Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Snailhead wrote:Do we know if the "Moving Through Time: FWWM Memories" doc is going to be included on this? It'll be a big missed opportunity if it isn't.
Doesn't look like it. Would have loved to revisit it as well. Guess it wasn't in the cards.
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

eyeboogers wrote:
SpookyDollhouse wrote:Lil word of caution about this release: Criterion's had compression problems with some of their titles the past 3 years, Mulholland Drive being one of them. (Macroblocking artifacts abound) They're cramming the movie, deleted scenes, and extras from the 10th boxset disc onto one disc. Could be looking at potential artifact city which is a shame. Why they couldn't spread it out across 2 discs like CBS did is beyond me. Criterion is all about film preservation and still they have issues like this. :?
Recently Criterion have released single disc - but dual layer, blu rays for long films. One example is "Barry Lyndon". Let's hope that will be the case here as well.
I think you mean double-disc releases and not single; Barry Lyndon is a double-disc release with the movie on a single double-layer BD50 disc, and the extras on another. FWWM, extras and all, are being placed on a single dual-layer BD50 disc.
Last edited by SpookyDollhouse on Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:Is Criterion using the CBS transfer? These look identical to me.

900__twin_peaks_fire_walk__CI-180720212830617942_blu-ray__.jpg

900__twin_peaks_fire_walk__CI-78486212830617942_blu-ray__.jpg

900__twin_peaks_fire_walk__CI-38841942430617943_blu-ray__.jpg

900__twin_peaks_fire_walk__CI-132179401630617945_blu-ray__.jpg

Full review here: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film6/blu-ray_ ... lu-ray.htm
They are the same transfer, but different encodes. Criterion's, despite being crammed with the extras, is slightly larger in size with a healthier bitrate. Don't take DVDbeaver's screencaps as gospel but it appears there are some nasty compression artifacts on the CBS disc. This is the opposite of Criterion's Mulholland Drive which had compression problems. Kudos to Criterion for stepping up their encode game!
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

SpookyDollhouse wrote: They are the same transfer, but different encodes. Criterion's, despite being crammed with the extras, is slightly larger in size with a healthier bitrate. Don't take DVDbeaver's screencaps as gospel but it appears there are some nasty compression artifacts on the CBS disc. This is the opposite of Criterion's Mulholland Drive which had compression problems. Kudos to Criterion for stepping up their encode game!
IDK, some people in the Bluray.com forums are saying the Criterion transfer looks "softer" and the CBS compression looks better.
I was never able to notice these compression issues everyone talks about, so whatever the case might be I'm totally fine with the CBS PQ. And I never had any issues with the audio sync. So apart from the two new interviews (in which I'm sure they're gonna tell the same stories we already know) there's nothing for me in the Criterion edition.

But those who had the audio issues in the CBS set should def get this for that alone.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

SpookyDollhouse wrote:
eyeboogers wrote:
I think you mean double-disc releases and not single; Barry Lyndon is a double-disc release with the movie on a single double-layer BD50 disc, and the extras on another. FWWM, extras and all, are being placed on a single dual-layer BD50 disc.
No I mean what I wrote, the film is on a dual layer blu-ray disc.
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
SpookyDollhouse wrote: They are the same transfer, but different encodes. Criterion's, despite being crammed with the extras, is slightly larger in size with a healthier bitrate. Don't take DVDbeaver's screencaps as gospel but it appears there are some nasty compression artifacts on the CBS disc. This is the opposite of Criterion's Mulholland Drive which had compression problems. Kudos to Criterion for stepping up their encode game!
IDK, some people in the Bluray.com forums are saying the Criterion transfer looks "softer" and the CBS compression looks better.
I was never able to notice these compression issues everyone talks about, so whatever the case might be I'm totally fine with the CBS PQ. And I never had any issues with the audio sync. So apart from the two new interviews (in which I'm sure they're gonna tell the same stories we already know) there's nothing for me in the Criterion edition.

But those who had the audio issues in the CBS set should def get this for that alone.
The softness is likely due in part to a lack of applied sharpening, the CBS looks like it was over-sharpened a tad. The compression issues I've referred to are macro-blocking, sometimes it's really noticeable and other times not. It makes grain look clumpier and when you pause, you can see the blocking.
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

eyeboogers wrote:
SpookyDollhouse wrote:
eyeboogers wrote:
No I mean what I wrote, the film is on a dual layer blu-ray disc.
They've always been issuing dual-layer discs for longer films though? That's been a common thing for years. If it's bigger than 25GB it's gotta go on a dual layer. That's why I thought you were talking about double disc sets since you mentioned Barry Lyndon. Even the CBS disc is dual layer which isn't any different. What Criterion is doing with FWWM is putting the film and all extras on one disc, CBS spread it across two; using a single disc is where things can potentially get messy in regards to encoding when you fit all extras and the movie on it.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

SpookyDollhouse wrote: The softness is likely due in part to a lack of applied sharpening, the CBS looks like it was over-sharpened a tad. The compression issues I've referred to are macro-blocking, sometimes it's really noticeable and other times not. It makes grain look clumpier and when you pause, you can see the blocking.
I've never noticed anything like that in my CBS disc but I'm glad people who did are getting the film with a superior compression, and of course with the audio fixed.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Even though there is no comparison to the CBS set, here's an excellent Criterion's FWWM review from BluRay.com (most reliable Blu Ray website):

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Twin-Peak ... 19/#Review
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

underthefan wrote:Even though there is no comparison to the CBS set, here's an excellent Criterion's FWWM review from BluRay.com (most reliable Blu Ray website):

I love Angelo, but I anticipate that this interview will be him telling the same old stories of how he & Lynch work again. Meh.

The Sheryl Lee one is very exciting though.

The Lynch/Zabriskie/Wise/Lee feature seems to be listed as ten minutes shorter than the Entire Mystery version, and doesn't appear to be titled. Is it possible that they removed the "in-character" interviews? That would be tragic and silly.
trismegistus
Roadhouse Member

Post by trismegistus »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
underthefan wrote:Even though there is no comparison to the CBS set, here's an excellent Criterion's FWWM review from BluRay.com (most reliable Blu Ray website):

I love Angelo, but I anticipate that this interview will be him telling the same old stories of how he & Lynch work again. Meh.

The Sheryl Lee one is very exciting though.

The Lynch/Zabriskie/Wise/Lee feature seems to be listed as ten minutes shorter than the Entire Mystery version, and doesn't appear to be titled. Is it possible that they removed the "in-character" interviews? That would be tragic and silly.
Perhaps they are just cutting the part out where they watch deleted scenes on the MacBook. I really hope that's the case if it is shorter.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:The Lynch/Zabriskie/Wise/Lee feature seems to be listed as ten minutes shorter than the Entire Mystery version, and doesn't appear to be titled. Is it possible that they removed the "in-character" interviews? That would be tragic and silly.
That's probably exactly what they did. Maybe they thought it was smarter to include the in-character interviews on the Season 3 blu-ray release and are placing it there?
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

In-depth review of the differences here: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p ... tcount=282

Bummed about the Palmer family interviews being cut, even though I suspected it with the shorter runtime. :(

Is anyone that had sync issues able to verify if they're the same or better with this Criterion release once they get it?