Criterion edition 10/17/17

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Diane
RR Diner Member

Re: Criterion edition 10/17/17

Post by Diane »

I wonder if this will fix the audio sync issues.
Diane
RR Diner Member

Post by Diane »

Also, this says 4K transfer...and I was just reading a conversation about 4K players. Do you need one of those to view this Blu-ray? I have no idea what 4K is.
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

Diane wrote:Also, this says 4K transfer...and I was just reading a conversation about 4K players. Do you need one of those to view this Blu-ray? I have no idea what 4K is.
The movie was transferred at 4k, and it's being transferred to Bluray from there like the old disc. It's not a 4k disc, you won't need anything new.
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Lil word of caution about this release: Criterion's had compression problems with some of their titles the past 3 years, Mulholland Drive being one of them. (Macroblocking artifacts abound) They're cramming the movie, deleted scenes, and extras from the 10th boxset disc onto one disc. Could be looking at potential artifact city which is a shame. Why they couldn't spread it out across 2 discs like CBS did is beyond me. Criterion is all about film preservation and still they have issues like this. :?
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

A new interview with Badalamenti has been added.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

Does Criterion plan on releasing any of his other movies that haven't gotten proper BD releases in the United States (Elephant Man, Straight Story, Lost Highway, Inland Empire)? It's out of whack when trashy horror movies that are mostly reviled get shiny new BD releases in the U.S., when one of the more respected directors still has some movies that haven't gotten U.S. Blu-ray releases. I'm not much of a "buyer" of discs since I still have Netflix DVD/Blu-ray mail service, but I should get on buying some of these in case they go out of print. I already missed the boat on Wild at Heart, which is highly priced, although I understand the European version has an hour of deleted material (correct?). Of course with Inland, the BD quality probably wouldn't benefit the film, but I got a TV a over a year ago that can turn off overscan (previous one couldn't), and found when I rented the DVD that it had a line down the rightmost edge of the screen, something that had been hidden by overscan -- very distracting.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Mistertom
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mistertom »

I wish criterion would just do an entire david lynch film collection release
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

IcedOver wrote:Does Criterion plan on releasing any of his other movies that haven't gotten proper BD releases in the United States (Elephant Man, Straight Story, Lost Highway, Inland Empire)?
We don't know yet.
It's out of whack when trashy horror movies that are mostly reviled get shiny new BD releases in the U.S., when one of the more respected directors still has some movies that haven't gotten U.S. Blu-ray releases.
Which movies are you speaking of? Maybe you revile them but horror buffs are after pretty much everything, me included. :D
So far I haven't noticed anything get a release lately that's been panned as a waste of time as far as the genre goes.
I'm not much of a "buyer" of discs since I still have Netflix DVD/Blu-ray mail service, but I should get on buying some of these in case they go out of print. I already missed the boat on Wild at Heart, which is highly priced, although I understand the European version has an hour of deleted material (correct?).
Wild at Heart's deleted scenes have so far only been released by Lynch directly in his Lime Green dvd set as a bonus feature.
Of course with Inland, the BD quality probably wouldn't benefit the film, but I got a TV a over a year ago that can turn off overscan (previous one couldn't), and found when I rented the DVD that it had a line down the rightmost edge of the screen, something that had been hidden by overscan -- very distracting.
Inland Empire on Blu-ray benefits from a lack of DVD compression; the whole movie gets to breathe, especially audio. So technically you'd be seeing closer to source than the DVD. Totally worth it in my book if you like the movie.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

SpookyDollhouse wrote:Which movies are you speaking of? Maybe you revile them but horror buffs are after pretty much everything, me included. :D
So far I haven't noticed anything get a release lately that's been panned as a waste of time as far as the genre goes.
I don't begrudge any movie getting an upgraded release. However, when, say, a public domain movie like Metamorphosis (1990) (which I actually kind of like) gets a Blu-ray release, yet some of a very respected director's work still hasn't gotten that treatment, it doesn't quite make sense. I even recall that the distribution company was hesitant to release a widescreen DVD of Lost Highway years ago, yet Bachelor Party in the Bungalow of the Damned had no such trouble. Perhaps the rights to Elephant Man,
Straight Story, Lost Highway are locked up by Paramount, Disney, and Universal, respectively, and they just don't want to make that release. I'm sure Criterion or a genre company would gladly release these films.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

The lack of an Elephant Man release is surely baffling. Sadly, it makes sense that TSS isn't a priority for Disney, and I think Criterion might be our only hope. :/
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

IcedOver wrote: I don't begrudge any movie getting an upgraded release. However, when, say, a public domain movie like Metamorphosis (1990) (which I actually kind of like) gets a Blu-ray release, yet some of a very respected director's work still hasn't gotten that treatment, it doesn't quite make sense.
It sure does make sense, different things simply come up at different times. These third party companies have legal issues to tangle through, and sometimes that's just what happens. You got bigger companies too who sit on specific catalog releases because they feel others would fare better financially.
I even recall that the distribution company was hesitant to release a widescreen DVD of Lost Highway years ago, yet Bachelor Party in the Bungalow of the Damned had no such trouble.
The rights to Lost Highway went to Universal, and like I said above they chose not to release it because they figured it wouldn't do so well. That's almost always the reason outside of rights issues. Bungalow of The Damned has nothing to do with this as it was released by its own production company so I don't get bringing it up at all? Independent production companies releasing their own movies doesn't take away from any other release happening.
Perhaps the rights to Elephant Man, Straight Story, Lost Highway are locked up by Paramount, Disney, and Universal, respectively, and they just don't want to make that release. I'm sure Criterion or a genre company would gladly release these films.
The only one of these I see a problem with release is Straight Story, Disney keeps tight hold of their properties. I'd say a release for the others is a lot more likely and probably in the pipeline. But like I said, they don't just suddenly release these things or license them out for immediate release. These things get scheduled and that can take awhile. It's just how the business works.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

SpookyDollhouse wrote:
IcedOver wrote:Does Criterion plan on releasing any of his other movies that haven't gotten proper BD releases in the United States (Elephant Man, Straight Story, Lost Highway, Inland Empire)?
Inland Empire on Blu-ray benefits from a lack of DVD compression; the whole movie gets to breathe, especially audio. So technically you'd be seeing closer to source than the DVD. Totally worth it in my book if you like the movie.
totally agree, Inland Empire was marvellous on Blu-Ray.. i wouldn't think it would make that much of a difference, but it truly did, in fact more than a lot of movies.
Mr. Reindeer wrote:The lack of an Elephant Man release is surely baffling. Sadly, it makes sense that TSS isn't a priority for Disney, and I think Criterion might be our only hope. :/
too bad.. The Elephant Man looks stunning on BR.. Lost Highay is a travesty though, and i really hope we will get a TSS sooner or later.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:The lack of an Elephant Man release is surely baffling. Sadly, it makes sense that TSS isn't a priority for Disney, and I think Criterion might be our only hope. :/
Straight Story wasn't even a priority for Disney when they originally released it. It could have gotten a semi-wide release as a family film, and would have done pretty okay, I believe. Instead they just hid it away in crappy art house theaters. They let the presence of Lynch's name dictate that it only be an art house movie when it was very accessible to a wider audience. I went to it in a broken-down old art house multiplex. They couldn't even get the projection ratio correct so that it wasn't partially playing on the curtains on the side; about 20% of the image was on the curtains. The projection was dark and ugly to boot. Still, I went to it three times in that theater, then a few months later it got a better release for one week at a regular multiplex. Then back in '13/'14, a local indie theater showed all his movies on DVD or BD projection, but they showed Straight Story in 35mm, which was great. It's a travesty that that film hasn't gotten better treatment over the years. As far as Elephant Man, that is totally mystifying since that was a critical and commercial success that has continued to be respected. Don't know why Paramount hasn't done a BD release in the U.S.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

Do we know if the "Moving Through Time: FWWM Memories" doc is going to be included on this? It'll be a big missed opportunity if it isn't.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

Is this the exact same transfer as was included in the BD set?
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!