Criterion edition 10/17/17

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

User avatar
Mr. Reindeer
Posts: 1555
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: Criterion edition 10/17/17

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:17 pm

This ended up being a pretty superfluous release. I love watching Sheryl and Angelo talk about this world, but neither contributes much of substance that we haven’t heard in countless other interviews (Angelo has a couple of anecdotes that are new to me, such as the recording of “The Black Dog Runs at Night,” but it’s mostly the same old stories). I wish they’d talked more about FWWM specifically, especially Sheryl. Her clips from the sorely-missed Moving Through Time feel way more on-point than this interview.

Chopping off the beginning of BTW is blasphemy, and renders the title (which still appears onscreen) and the opening exchanges (about six people being at the table and about “loosening things up”) meaningless and nonsensical.

While it’s great to see the once-maligned FWWM get its due by becoming part of this prestigious collection, this release is perfunctory after the comprehensive Entire Mystery. I wish Criterion had given LH or TSS the slot instead.
User avatar
Fred
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:06 pm

Re: Criterion edition 10/17/17

Postby Fred » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:46 pm

Is the Criterion edition available in the UK, for DVD region 2?

Thanks.
User avatar
Agent Sam Stanley
Posts: 998
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:04 pm

Re: Criterion edition 10/17/17

Postby Agent Sam Stanley » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:15 pm

Mr. Reindeer wrote:While it’s great to see the once-maligned FWWM get its due by becoming part of this prestigious collection, this release is perfunctory after the comprehensive Entire Mystery. I wish Criterion had given LH or TSS the slot instead.



My exact thoughts. And if Lynch decides to release a new cut of FWWM with the MP edited back in this edition will be even more pointless.
Fanedits: Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me: Extended Blue Rose Cut / Blair Witch 2: Recut / Sinister: Recut

Please sign my petition for the release of the Director's Cut of Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2
User avatar
SpookyDollhouse
Posts: 313
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:22 pm
Contact:

Re: Criterion edition 10/17/17

Postby SpookyDollhouse » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:24 pm

Mr. Reindeer wrote:This ended up being a pretty superfluous release. I love watching Sheryl and Angelo talk about this world, but neither contributes much of substance that we haven’t heard in countless other interviews (Angelo has a couple of anecdotes that are new to me, such as the recording of “The Black Dog Runs at Night,” but it’s mostly the same old stories). I wish they’d talked more about FWWM specifically, especially Sheryl. Her clips from the sorely-missed Moving Through Time feel way more on-point than this interview.


Hey, at least we got a slightly better video encode and lossless theatrical audio!

Chopping off the beginning of BTW is blasphemy, and renders the title (which still appears onscreen) and the opening exchanges (about six people being at the table and about “loosening things up”) meaningless and nonsensical.


And on that note, it's because Criterion refuses to use double discs unless absolutely absolutely necessary and cuts corners whenever possible. Their video encodes every now and again show this, thankfully not here by the grace of god. Unfortunately Mulholland Drive wasn't lucky.

While it’s great to see the once-maligned FWWM get its due by becoming part of this prestigious collection, this release is perfunctory after the comprehensive Entire Mystery. I wish Criterion had given LH or TSS the slot instead.


Bro it's all about licensing. Disney owns The Straight Story and they are notorious for holding movies close to their chest. I bet on that being a Disney Movie Club barebones disc before handing it off to Criterion, but crazier things have happened! That said Lost Highway and Elephant Man are good bets to be coming anyway so worrying "why one over the other" doesn't matter, because nothing is taking anything's place if they planned it already.

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:While it’s great to see the once-maligned FWWM get its due by becoming part of this prestigious collection, this release is perfunctory after the comprehensive Entire Mystery. I wish Criterion had given LH or TSS the slot instead.



My exact thoughts. And if Lynch decides to release a new cut of FWWM with the MP edited back in this edition will be even more pointless.


I'm pretty sure at this point that ship has sailed. He hasn't changed his tune, no need clinging to what-ifs.
User avatar
Agent Sam Stanley
Posts: 998
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:04 pm

Re: Criterion edition 10/17/17

Postby Agent Sam Stanley » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:09 am

SpookyDollhouse wrote:
I'm pretty sure at this point that ship has sailed. He hasn't changed his tune, no need clinging to what-ifs.


Actually he did, Sabrina Sutherland said he is now open to the idea.
Fanedits: Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me: Extended Blue Rose Cut / Blair Witch 2: Recut / Sinister: Recut

Please sign my petition for the release of the Director's Cut of Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2
User avatar
SpookyDollhouse
Posts: 313
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:22 pm
Contact:

Re: Criterion edition 10/17/17

Postby SpookyDollhouse » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:48 am

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
SpookyDollhouse wrote:
I'm pretty sure at this point that ship has sailed. He hasn't changed his tune, no need clinging to what-ifs.


Actually he did, Sabrina Sutherland said he is now open to the idea.


Really?? Good lord did I miss that. Saying he did change his mind, I don't know how I feel about it.

Return to “Fire Walk With Me (1992)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest