Missing Pages - Annie

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

PeaksCarnivaleLost
Roadhouse Member

Missing Pages - Annie

Post by PeaksCarnivaleLost »

re-watched FWWM last night -- saw something that seems whacked so i am hoping someone can let me know where i am wrong.

Laura discovers pages of her diary have been torn out -- and then gives the diary to Harold for safekeeping.

Later on --- Annie says "Good Dale is in the Lodge, etc" , "Write it in your diary".

Now if i am correct, this phrase was supposedly part of the torn out pages that were found in "The Return". How can this be possible?

I believe there were multiple diaries (if not no biggie here) but the Harold Smith version was specifically mentioned as the source of the missing pages.

Can someone please confirm or let me know where i went horribly wrong? It's was so easy to spot but yet i never heard this potential plot hole mentioned before.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Missing Pages - Annie

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

The Harold/diary thing has been a mess since FWWM, where Laura implies she is leaving her diary with him never to see it again, despite Episode 16 showing diary entries written 2/22 and 2/24. You’re right, it’s even more problematic that apparently two of the four pages torn out by Leland/Bob were written AFTER the diary was at Harold’s (not only the Annie one, but also the “I know it isn’t Bob” entry as well, which had to have been written on 2/24). I guess we can surmise that since Laura clearly went back to write a bunch more entries at Harold’s, Leland followed her and broke into Harold’s to steal more pages. I prefer that to a third diary, personally, but it’s convoluted no matter what.
PeaksCarnivaleLost
Roadhouse Member

Post by PeaksCarnivaleLost »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:The Harold/diary thing has been a mess since FWWM, where Laura implies she is leaving her diary with him never to see it again, despite Episode 16 showing diary entries written 2/22 and 2/24. You’re right, it’s even more problematic that apparently two of the four pages torn out by Leland/Bob were written AFTER the diary was at Harold’s (not only the Annie one, but also the “I know it isn’t Bob” entry as well, which had to have been written on 2/24). I guess we can surmise that since Laura clearly went back to write a bunch more entries at Harold’s, Leland followed her and broke into Harold’s to steal more pages. I prefer that to a third diary, personally, but it’s convoluted no matter what.

ok cool. I haven't read this section at all in a while and figured it was fleshed out already.

Thanks for the prompt reply! i can move on to more interesting issues in S3.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

The more I think about it, it’s not SO egregious, maybe. The pages we see Leland tear out in FWWM are presumably the pages Hawk finds by the train car. At some point later, Leland discovers where there diary is by following Laura and goes back, perhaps even after Laura’s death, to make sure his tracks are fully covered. Since he knows the diary exists, it would be pretty negligent NOT to do this, and it explains why these pages are separate from the ones Hawk found in S1.

There’s also the possibility I still like that Gerard/Mike actually hid the pages when he was in the stall. The only reason we’re assuming the pages came from Leland is because Hawk assumes it. But it makes equal sense that Mike would steal/hide the evidence to keep the hunt for Bob in-house among the spirits without law enforcement interference (this would also explain Mike mis-ID’ing Ben as Bob in Episode 14 which, while an awesome scene, has no explanation except as a piece of misdirect).