How Lynch Got Bowie for FWWM

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

How Lynch Got Bowie for FWWM

Post by bosguy1981 »

I remember Bob Engels told a story about how David Lynch had an assistant who was a big David Bowie fan, and she was the person who suggested to Lynch that Bowie might be right for Philip Jeffries. Just came across this short video on YouTube that was posted today and has a really cool story about how Bowie was finally approached about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNdQ4AutyOQ
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Re: How Lynch Got Bowie for FWWM

Post by Jerry Horne »

Was it removed?
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

Jerry Horne wrote:Was it removed?
RATS! Apparently, it got yanked. I hope it gets re-added, because the woman interviewed did a great job telling the story. Incase it never gets re-added, here's the story:

The woman interviewed in the YouTube worked in the 90's as a music journalist, I believe. (I can't remember her name but let's say her name is Susan). Susan's company passed out free tickets to see Morrissey in concert and she got the two tickets. She decided to invite her friend Debbie, who worked for David Lynch at the time. At first, Debbie seemed uninterested and didn't really know who Morrissey even was, but Susan convinced her to go.

Suddenly, during the encore, the two women were surprised to hear Bowie's voice! He walked out on stage as a surprise guest with Morrissey. After they performed, Susan and Debbie went backstage to meet them. Debbie said, "I'm going to go talk to them" and went over to have a conversation with Bowie. When she returned to Susan, Debbie said, "You won't believe this, but we've been trying to contact Bowie about taking a role in Fire Walk With Me. We've left several messages with his management but they never return our calls." Debbie told Bowie about this backstage at the concert and "Bowie did a triple-take" when he heard this. Debbie could tell that Bowie was very upset that his management didn't tell him about this. Susan said "Bowie was very kind to Debbie but you could tell he was upset and wanted to get all the facts straight."

Thanks to that random meeting, Bowie got in touch with Lynch and the rest is history!
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

That's so interesting, thanks for sharing this! I'd never heard this story before. For some reason I had always been under the impression that Bowie, as a fan, asked about having a small role in the film; I didn't realize they had pursued him.
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

I'm so bummed this was taken off YouTube. I don't know what media company put it together but the woman's on-camera interview recollection of the story was intercut with cool little drawings of all the parties she was talking about (Bowie, Morrissey, Lynch, herself, and this Debbie person). Sound familiar to anybody? Maybe it's still alive on this company's website but just not on YouTube?

I shared it with a friend who loves Bowie (but not into Twin Peaks) and we both kept texting each other about what a cool story it was and what a great storyteller the lady was in how she recounted it. At the end, she was smiling, and saying how it was so amazing to think that if she hadn't got those Morrissey tickets, or if Debbie didn't answer her phone that night, or this or that, that maybe Bowie never would have been in the movie. You never know.

Oh, and there was music playing underneath this YouTube video that was somewhat reminiscent of Audrey's Prayer, so it made the retelling even a little more cool for a TP fan.
Johnsusername
Roadhouse Member

Post by Johnsusername »

That's such a great story - thanks for sharing (as a massive Morrissey and Bowie fan i'm extremely jealous of these people haha).
blueangel

Post by blueangel »

This counts as one of the greatest gifts that we have recently gotten whilst everyone was celebrating Twin Peaks being back, sad that it was taken down. Thank You for posting it though.
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

blueangel wrote:This counts as one of the greatest gifts that we have recently gotten whilst everyone was celebrating Twin Peaks being back, sad that it was taken down. Thank You for posting it though.
You're welcome! I'm so bummed that all this time later, this video still hasn't resurfaced. I usually check YouTube for any new "Twin Peaks" videos on a daily basis so I probably would have seen it if it had been back. Not to overhype it, but for a little 3 minute video, it was really one of my favorite Twin Peaks behind-the-scenes nuggets I've ever seen. Top 5 for me along with Lynch's early tellings of how Frank Silva was seen in the mirror reflection during the pilot shooting and then became BOB. I guess because it involves Bowie, who I love, it's extra thrilling to me. But it was just a great story and the woman who told it was so endearing and you could tell that years later when she thinks about it, she's still tickled that she was inadvertently involved in this fated meeting of Lynch and Bowie. :D

But I really wish you could hear HER tell the story!
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Debby Trutnik?
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

Yes, I think that's the Debby who went up and talked to Bowie. But the person telling the story in the video is Debby's friend, who got the tickets in the first place. Unfortunately, I have no idea what her name was or where she worked as a music writer.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

I'm assuming nobody remembers the name of the You Tube account that posted it?
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

Yesterday I was listening to the splendid album Low by David Bowie. It struck me that especially the B-side (rather the last 3 tracks: Art Decade, Weeping Wall & Subterraneans) of that album could be a soundtrack to our beloved Red Room in TP.

This, of course, is a coincidence but it made me wonder how Lynch and Bowie got together to do FWWM. The answer is more or less in this topic. I would love to see that deleted video on Youtube. Still no one that has found it?
"Your log and I are on the same page."