FWWM sequels

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

dreamshake
RR Diner Member

FWWM sequels

Post by dreamshake »

My understanding is DL planned on making two sequels to fwwm to complete the story. have any story details made it to the public? I know bob engels has spoken about possible season 3 ideas like the planet of creamed corn or sheriff truman driving backwards through corn fields to rescue cooper.
Valaquen
Roadhouse Member

Re: FWWM sequels

Post by Valaquen »

Don't quote me on this, but I'm sure I read somewhere, a long time ago, they were intended to explore Philip Jeffries and the Blue Rose unit. I think that's why Lynch included them in FWWM; he'd planned to take those threads and weave something larger. I suppose he eventually got to explore more of that in The Return (Jeffries, Judy, 'the Zone', etc.)
dreamshake
RR Diner Member

Post by dreamshake »

I've remember that too but I can't find a source for it.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

I'm pretty sure this is a long-standing myth. While it's true that Engels has referred to 'multiple ideas for movies being teased out' I don't think the context was initially alluding to a trilogy, or multiple movies, just that there were ideas thrown out there and what ended up being made was FWWM. I've never been able to track down a source for the supposed series of movies that were planned--I don't think they ever were. The closest I got was Frank Silva saying that if FWWM did well (and it didn't) then more would probably be on the way. So it was more organic than the myth supposes.

I think the idea of a trilogy came because of misinterpreting Lynch receiving a CIBY three pictures deal. That happened around FWWM time, and it was a big news piece. But that wasn't that he was doing three TP pictures--what happened with that was that many years later Lost Highway was the first of those pictures, then the studio took back its contract, and Lynch had to sue them.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

According to Room to Dream, Ronnie Rocket was initially intended to be the first film on DKL’s three-picture deal with Ciby-2000. DKL ultimately decided to do FWWM instead, then Francis Bouygues passed away. They made LH as number 2, and then they tried to renege on the contract, leading to the lawsuit.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:According to Room to Dream, Ronnie Rocket was initially intended to be the first film on DKL’s three-picture deal with Ciby-2000. DKL ultimately decided to do FWWM instead, then Francis Bouygues passed away. They made LH as number 2, and then they tried to renege on the contract, leading to the lawsuit.
Thanks again for the clarification! I gotta read Room to Dream soon. :)
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

AXX°N N. wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:According to Room to Dream, Ronnie Rocket was initially intended to be the first film on DKL’s three-picture deal with Ciby-2000. DKL ultimately decided to do FWWM instead, then Francis Bouygues passed away. They made LH as number 2, and then they tried to renege on the contract, leading to the lawsuit.
Definitely! BTW, as Bowisneski (and the Twin Peaks Unwrapped podcast) have uncovered, Lynch’s chapters in the text book and audiobook are entirely different beasts. While they cover much of the same material and anecdotes, the audiobook was done off the cuff rather than reading from the page...so the wording and details are often different, and he occasionally wanders off and talks about stories that aren’t in the book (or skips over stories that ARE in the book!).
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
AXX°N N. wrote:
Definitely! BTW, as Bowisneski (and the Twin Peaks Unwrapped podcast) have uncovered, Lynch’s chapters in the text book and audiobook are entirely different beasts. While they cover much of the same material and anecdotes, the audiobook was done off the cuff rather than reading from the page...so the wording and details are often different, and he occasionally wanders off and talks about stories that aren’t in the book (or skips over stories that ARE in the book!).
Woah! :o Thank you for that. I was going to listen to the audiobook anyway, because Lynch has such a way of saying things, so I'm excited that I'll be getting a whole different experience than a recitation.
dreamshake
RR Diner Member

Post by dreamshake »

thanks for the answers yall. gotta pick up room to dream.
TheAlien
RR Diner Member

Post by TheAlien »

It would've been really interesting to see what Lynch and Frost would've produced back then, if they had the right support and funding. Going back to the point in time where The Return didn't exist, there was a lot on the table narrative-wise and much that still was never brought up again (both in the original series and FWWM)
For I am I: ergo, the truth of myself; my own sphinx, conflict, chaos, vortex—asymmetric to all rhythms, oblique to all paths. I am the prism between black and white: mine own unison in duality.
― Austin Osman Spare
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

TheAlien wrote:It would've been really interesting to see what Lynch and Frost would've produced back then, if they had the right support and funding. Going back to the point in time where The Return didn't exist, there was a lot on the table narrative-wise and much that still was never brought up again (both in the original series and FWWM)
I would have loved to watch those, especially since FWWM expanded the Twin Peaks Universe
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

TheAlien wrote:It would've been really interesting to see what Lynch and Frost would've produced back then, if they had the right support and funding. Going back to the point in time where The Return didn't exist, there was a lot on the table narrative-wise and much that still was never brought up again (both in the original series and FWWM)
Would have been great with more films. But if I'd had the choice then waiting for the 25 year payoff and Lynch and Frost having reconciled in the "meanwhile" was the better alternative to keeping things going in the mid 90's.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

eyeboogers wrote:
Would have been great with more films. But if I'd had the choice then waiting for the 25 year payoff and Lynch and Frost having reconciled in the "meanwhile" was the better alternative to keeping things going in the mid 90's.
To each his own, I guess. Myself, I would kill (well, practically :) ) to have the continuation/expansion of the TP universe back then, coming from creators' mindsets as they were back in the first half of the 90's instead of the tepid mess that is The Return. Alas, it wasn't meant to be. Still, one can dream ...
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

I liked the return, but I still have the nagging feeling that a continuation in the 90s would have been great. Something about the style of the return still makes it hard to square with being in the same universe to me.

Of course, back in the day Kyle would have been out probably, so it would have been very different.
TheAlien
RR Diner Member

Post by TheAlien »

Initially, the mysterious introduction of Jefferies (and Chester Desmond's disappearance too, to a lesser extent) really opened the floodgates in a way but the big gap between FWWM and The Return really closed off many possibilities, from my perception.
The movie sequels or even further seasons if FWWM had initially gotten a far more enthusiastic reaction when it premiered, would have really been something possibly more grander, as FWWM was really reaching for something it wanted to arrive at.
Regardless, what we got with The Return remains many of my favorite parts in all of David Lynch's career, so I can't really complain about that! :P

The looming question of 1991 Jefferies remains though (in alternative history, where S3 and many of Lynch's 90s films never happened...)
For I am I: ergo, the truth of myself; my own sphinx, conflict, chaos, vortex—asymmetric to all rhythms, oblique to all paths. I am the prism between black and white: mine own unison in duality.
― Austin Osman Spare