FWWM sequels

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

baxter
Great Northern Member

Re: FWWM sequels

Post by baxter »

Yes, that closing of possibilities is a nice way to put it. I guess it really opened other possibilities as well, so we should be thankful for that.

I still enjoy FWWM as the peak of Twin Peaks, it somehow feels perfect in every way to me. The Return is a different beast that I really enjoyed, but it's almost a different show. Having said that, Lost Highway felt totally different to me at the time than FWWM, so maybe a 90s continuation would have drifted elsewhere in terms of feel.
bowisneski
RR Diner Member

Post by bowisneski »

Thanks to the Twin Peaks Unwrapped book, available here, we finally have at least one of the quotes regarding a sequel. David Bowie to the Detroit Free Press 9/12/1991
There's a sequel he's already written, and my character re-emerges in Part 2 in quite grand proportions, so he wants to introduce me in this one.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

bowisneski wrote:Thanks to the Twin Peaks Unwrapped book, available here, we finally have at least one of the quotes regarding a sequel. David Bowie to the Detroit Free Press 9/12/1991
There's a sequel he's already written, and my character re-emerges in Part 2 in quite grand proportions, so he wants to introduce me in this one.
Oh, what could have been then, and what could have been if Bowie had not fallen ill when Twin Peaks was finally returning.
stro

Post by stro »

My reading was he signed a 3 picture deal with the company that produced FWWM, not that he signed a deal to make 3 Twin Peaks movies. I have little doubt there would have been another movie had FWWM done well, but I don't know why anyone reasonably could have expected it to do well enough to garner a sequel: The series dropped off in popularity so hard it went from number one to cancelled in in two seasons, and David Lynch movies are not known to be big money making endeavors.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

stro wrote:My reading was he signed a 3 picture deal with the company that produced FWWM, not that he signed a deal to make 3 Twin Peaks movies.
You are correct. Lost Highway was the second film on the contract with CiBy 2000, and then he ended up in a lawsuit with them so the third film never materialized. The “TP trilogy” thing is one of those rumors that keeps coming up but doesn’t seem to have any basis in fact.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Lost Highway was the second film on the contract with CiBy 2000, and then he ended up in a lawsuit with them so the third film never materialized.
Did The Straight Story not end up as the final movie? I know Disney was involved too, but its listed under CiBy 2000 productions on Wikipedia?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciby_2000
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jonah wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:Lost Highway was the second film on the contract with CiBy 2000, and then he ended up in a lawsuit with them so the third film never materialized.
Did The Straight Story not end up as the final movie? I know Disney was involved too, but its listed under CiBy 2000 productions on Wikipedia?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciby_2000
Nope, guess this is another instance of “you can’t trust the Internet”! I believe the credits say it’s a Picture Factory Production (another company Lynch had at the time) in association with Les Studio Canal+ (with whom DKL would also work on MD and IE) and Channel Four Films (a UK company, no clue how they got involved). And of course distributed and “presented” by Disney. No CiBy! I think he was already suing them at that point.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

It's weird because they're also listed on the film's Wikipedia page and on IMDB too:
https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?comp ... 1&rtm_sr=1

What happened with the lawsuit in the end?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jonah wrote:It's weird because they're also listed on the film's Wikipedia page and on IMDB too:
https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?comp ... 1&rtm_sr=1

What happened with the lawsuit in the end?
I’m assuming the Wikipedia editors used IMDb as their source.

I think the CiBy lawsuit occurred after the head of the company died, and the executives now in charge claimed Lynch was in breach of contract and refused to pay him millions they owed him. They eventually settled the case, presumably meaning they paid him some if not all the money. This info is from Room to Dream, which is a great source of info on this kind of minutiae.

Not directly related, but fun trivia: Picture Factory was a company Lynch’s assistant Neal Edelstein convinced him to set up to produce other people’s films. However, Lynch immediately lost interest, and Picture Factory only ended up on The Straight Story...and allegedly the pilot version of MD, per the Internet, although I haven’t verified that (EDIT: Verified, the Picture Factory logo appears at the end of the MD pilot). One of the scripts sent in was for The Ring, which Edelstein ended up producing himself when Lynch didn’t want it. Needless to say, that worked out pretty well for Edelstein, and he didn’t have to be an assistant anymore!
Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Thanks for all the interesting info - and cool that both MD and The Ring starred Naomi Watts.
Henrys Hair
RR Diner Member

Post by Henrys Hair »

This is one of those rumours that I've heard repeated so often I've no idea where I first heard it. Does anyone have a copy of Kenneth C Kaleta's book on David Lynch? It was published early 90s and was one of the few easily-available books solely about Lynch around that time. I don't have a copy anymore but wondered if the FWWM sequels are mentioned in it. I've checked The Complete David Lynch (from 2001) which says FWWM 'did not perform well enough to warrant the sequel/spin-off that Lynch had promised if Fire Walk With Me proved successful' - although I'm sure the sequel(s) rumour had been circulating long before the book was published.