Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Post by Metamorphia »

Troubbble wrote:
sylvia_north wrote:Like that Deming/Lynch whacking the lens thing they invented by accident...
Never heard about this. What effect did they create by doing that?

Is that how they did the crazy, out-of-focus POV effect in Mulholland Drive, possibly?
They started using it in Lost Highway. They pull it out on special occasions :p It's basically removing the lens mid-shot, so it creates a crazy visual distortion and lets light streak in from the top and sides.
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Post by KyleRickards »

docLEXfisti wrote:Great episode, especially after EP12. Hearing James' song from 20 years ago was nice, I am sure JM cannot pull it off anymore this high though ;) But it was a pretty nostalgic moment.

.) Mr.C scenes were awesome, even recognized the dude from Elvira and Dr. Quinn. Accountant bit was hlarious as well.

.) Norma and her empire, who would have thought? And not together with Ed who it still bothers? Sad. I loved their romance in the original show.

.) I already said it, I feel a romance with Jacoby and Nadine coming on. Such a lovely scene that was. Probably my favorite scene of the entire episode.

.) Tom Sizemore is a fantastic actor, I really believed his remorse. But I have seen his nipples enough times. They jump at me in every scene he's in ;)

.) Dougie and Janey-E scene was lovely as well, at the back yard and in the car - I wonder how Lynch will resolve this once Coop snaps out of it.

.) Sarah scene was disturbing, she's a total drunk. So sad nobody looked after her in all these years.

All in all a good Episode. I'd say really good if I hadn't seen EP14 today that Sky put up by mistake. And man, it's all I can think about....
Hey man

You seem a really nice guy but please stop talking about Episode 14, it's not fair on the rest of us, raising expectations.

K

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dreamy Audrey
RR Diner Member

Post by Dreamy Audrey »

Did you notice the sign "Frame straightening" which is placed exactly above Ed's weird reflection? And right now, we are talking about a frame in this scene that has been edited or "straightened"...

By the way, I noticed there are a few "doubles" in this scene. Ed and his reflection, the car passing by twice, two gas pumps, a weird double lamp, two red bottles and two black bottles grouped together.
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Post by KyleRickards »

yaxomoxay wrote:
Taperecorder wrote:
Jacob wrote: - I loved the ending and I agree with LostintheMovies : it was better to have Ed scene after James's song, because the beauty of Ed looking at the road is precisely the deception and the melancholy.... nothing happened. And that's the point, I guess.
You should watch that Big Ed scene again. Something DOES happen. Something HUGE!
Agreed!
It took me a while, but when I saw what was happening...!!

I'm lost?

Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

I can imagine reflections play a featured role in a story about doppelgängers. I love that even this show, so at odds with traditional TV structure, still attracts an audience who enjoy the surface story as much as others who obsess over the more hidden secrets, just like the first 2 seasons. It's a neat trick by DL and MF.

Remember that Ed's reflection is not the first time we've seen a reflection manipulated in post production. His extremely faint doppelgänger contrasts nicely with Richard's very prominent and scene-stealing doppelgänger who resided in Miriam Sullivan's door for a time.
There's your roast beef and cheese.
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

That's really all that happens. A jump of the cup, and Big Ed's bearing, between frames. Sorry about the quality.
Last edited by Novalis on Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
Dreamy Audrey
RR Diner Member

Post by Dreamy Audrey »

boske wrote:
Dreamy Audrey wrote:
writersblock wrote:I pretty much agree that Episode 14 is the one that was leaked - all I was saying was that it is possible that someone might utter a phrase in more than one episode - in fact I am pretty surprised it hasn't happened more often than it has considering the nature of some of the scenes we have seen,
They probably mainly chose significant phrases that occur only once on purpose, and "Case Files" was an exception.

About Ed:
I thought there was something unsettling about Ed's last scene and it reminded me of the Double R ending scene of Part 7, but didn't notice the reflection the first time and when I read about it, I thought it might be an editing error. But it can't be an error, because we can see both Ed and his reflection in the same shot and their movements don't match. The actual Ed is not moving the soup jar at the same time that his reflection in the window is moving the soup jar. How is something like that possible if it isn't intentionally edited? And in the reflection shot there is a slight cut/edit where the jar is at first in Ed's hands and then on the table. What would be the purpose for that cut, when it would be easier to cut the shot at the beginning or end?

And when you watch the moments before and after that, it starts with Ed placing the jar in front of him on the table, removing his hands from it, as if to show us that he isn't moving. Then he is looking at something straight ahead and he slightly moves his head as if he noticed something. There is a cut and we see his reflection in the window, hence we know he was looking at his reflection. We can see that the jar in front of him is not moving, whereas the reflection in the mirror is still eating. Then after a few moments, the jar in the reflection "glitches" and is on the table where it should be, as if it's noticed that is was being watched and was correcting it's position. Then there is another cut back to Ed's face who looks confused/unsettled/thoughtful as if he noticed something was wrong. Look at his eye movement. He moves his eyes to the right as if he was thinking, then his eyes quickly move towards the jar in front of him, back to the direction where the reflection is and again to the jar, and then he begins to slightly move the jar in his hands - maybe because he wants to see what his reflection is doing when he moves or maybe because he wants to match his movements to the reflection or maybe he just wants to pretend everything is in order. At that moment we can hear a weird sound that seems to indicate something creepy is going on, and then he continues eating.

Another weird thing: during the "glitching" reflection it seems like the same car is passing the window twice because it is making the exact same sounds, usually not every passing car sounds the same. Ed could also be confused about seeing the same thing twice. It is even weirder that the reflection glitches while the car is in the picture because if the shot was sloppily cut, the moving car would should glitch as well, but it doesn't. The only thing that seems edited is Ed's moving reflection.
Yes. But also pay attention to the second car: it first moves out (or is it the first car that moves out of frame twice), then moves in, and then finally disappears. It could be sloppy editing for sure.
I'm not sure what you mean, I didn't notice anything sloppy about the car except that it's passing the window twice. The reflection glitches in a way that the cup jumps from one place to another as if something was cut out or pasted over the actual image. If the edit had been for the entire frame, the car should jump from one place to another as well, but it seems to move fluently, which indicates that only the reflection was edited.
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Post by KyleRickards »

Ragnell wrote:
sewhite2000 wrote:Sigh.

People went insane about the flashing windows on the airplane. People went insane over the glitch as Tammy walks down the hall toward Gordon's motel room door. People went insane over the changing patrons in the Double R. People went insane over an apparent glitch in the movement of the head or the way the blood sprayed when Evil Coop killed Hastings' wife. People went insane over Miriam's last name being different on the envelope than in the closing credits.

How many of these have ever been referenced again or turned out to have any significant meaning in the show?

Why, then, is everyone sure that a little oddity in Ed's reflection is The Most Significant Moment in Television History?
Because Ed reacted to it.
I didn't see that?

Mistertom
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mistertom »

This may have been mentioned before and forgive me if I ramble on I just woke up and was literally thinking about twin peaks the second I opened my eyes...

Doesn't Audrey's husband resemble the man in the photograph with mr c ? The one in front of the glass box .. what If charlie is the anonymous billionaire who has been working with mr c all of these years to keep Audrey out of it ? Like out of The entire loop .. does she remember or even know she has a son ? (Assuming Richard is hers)

Is mr c aware of the relationship Cooper had with Audrey so he's working with charlie to keep her away from twin peaks? So many questions haha.. I hope if the series's doesn't clear some of this up that mark frosts final dossier will do Just that. Fill us in on the 25 years we missed.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

Dreamy Audrey wrote:
boske wrote: Yes. But also pay attention to the second car: it first moves out (or is it the first car that moves out of frame twice), then moves in, and then finally disappears. It could be sloppy editing for sure.
I'm not sure what you mean, I didn't notice anything sloppy about the car except that it's passing the window twice. The reflection glitches in a way that the cup jumps from one place to another as if something was cut out or pasted over the actual image. If the edit had been for the entire frame, the car should jump from one place to another as well, but it seems to move fluently, which indicates that only the reflection was edited.
Yes, the reflection.
beyondthesea

Post by beyondthesea »

I feel very tired today, and I've partially racked my brains to try and figure out why farm boss walloped Mr. C before the arm wrestle. "This is for the Kindergarten teacher".

The one that Richard tried to kill, yes? So why wallop Mr. C.

I have a feeling someone is going to point out that I have clearly missed something. Please don't internet-bully me though.
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Post by KyleRickards »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Fenn has been freaking phenomenal. Knocked it out of the park this week. And the writing...every line in that scene is a perfect Lynchian enigma. The Ghostwood reference is really intriguing. At this point in the season, I didn't think we'd ever hear a reference to Ghostwood. I still think we probably won't hear the project literally referred to, outside of this weird non sequitir, but it was a nice callback.

The arm wrestling was predictable (we all knew Mr. C would win), but the accountant made the scene. I kept giggling at him in the background among all these burly outlaws, even before he had his line. I love the implied backstory that this nebbish dude misguidedly thought he could win at arm wrestling and would have an army of thugs to do his bidding, only to end up as an indentured slave, presumably cooking the books.

The Sarah wrestling-loop is the first time I've given serious consideration to the time-displacement theories; I'm pretty sure it's way too late in the game to introduce that sort of plot element (especially with this show's pacing), but who knows. Definitely, a weird, unsettling scene. As much as Kyle has been killing it and DougieCoop is the emotional core of the show, Sarah is the MVP of the season as far as I'm concerned. Would love to know what fight she's watching, if there are any boxing experts out there, and how/if it ties in with the Henry Cooper/Douglas Jones theories floated elsewhere.

Speaking of Kyle, he has one of the most heartbreaking moments in the entire series in this one. After Janey-E says, "I love you so much," DougieCoop mouths the words, "So much" -- not a sound comes out. It's an enormously powerful, sad thing to me, and I can't pinpoint why.

Big Ed killed me. After that scene from TMP, all I wanted from the new show was for Ed & Norma to find happiness. Glad McGill is being given some subtle emotional material instead of the comedic mugging he was asked to do for much of season 2 with the "Super Nadine" crap. I can't be the only one who thought he was going to commit suicide by burning down the gas station, right? I'm still not 100% convinced that he wasn't considering it, at least for a second. He's always struck me as a clinically depressed guy hiding behind a "strong silent type" exterior.

I've got to say, since Andy & Lucy have all but disappeared, the comedy on the show has been working for me like gangbusters. The offscreen fiasco during the Fusco scene was hysterical (and reminded me of DKL's Comic Con video). As far as I can decipher, a female prisoner is pissing on the floor, gets her hands on a knife, and calls the cops "Twinkies"...she is then tazed.

Pretty sure that was Mike's hand placing the ring on the podium, right? Interesting that Strobel didn't get a credit, but Sheryl Lee continues to have the most unearned weekly credit possibly in TV history. (I adore Sheryl and wish we were seeing a LOT more of her, but it's absurd that she has been in one new scene all season and received credit on 13 episodes).

Another inconsistency between TP:TR and TSHoTP: Norma says the Double R has been known as such for 50 years, but according to the chronology in TSHoTP, Marty Lindstrom opened the diner in 1938.
Interesting how DougieCoop can't say I love you but can repeat other things... (happened twice now I think)

Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

sewhite2000 wrote:
ScarFace32 wrote:
Electric Tree wrote:I'm staying in the "there's nothing to the final Big Ed scene except a guy who's mulling over his life and losses" group. People are looking for (and apparently finding) something that isnt there.
But how can that reflection be an editing mistake?
How? I don't know. How were the airplane windows and the motel door and the head of the woman who was just shot and the envelope with the wrong and everything else that people keep saying has Cosmic Significance and HAVE NEVER BEEN MENTIONED AGAIN? Were those mistakes, or were those INCREDIBLY SIGNIFICANT EVENTS that are all going to ve revealed in the final five episodes? People are going nuts about a couple of seconds of Ed's reflection when there is zero history in the show that you need to freeze frame to catch significant events. People want to show how incredibly clever they are, but I really don't think Lynch and Frost have any interest in the freeze-frame game.
Uhh, I saw the glitch in Eds reflection upon first viewing, and don't think freeze frame will help, as it is a disruption in fluid motion that draws your attention to it. I think the problem is most people are watching it on screens that are not properly calibrated. I also noticed many of the slow motion, repetitious, and glitchy "mistakes" upon first viewing, and found others easy and obvious to see when they were pointed out. The airplane windows practically shouted out at me, I'm curious how you reconcile things like Tammy walking the hall in slow motion and the masked airplane windows with your hypothesis that these are mistakes? (I suppose you may beleive DL just didn't get a take with Tammy walking slowly enough down the hall, so he figured no would would notice if he messed with physics and slowed down time).

Its a slippery slope you are on, as you could extend your argument to support the idea that Sarah's TV loop was just an editing mistake as well. Maybe that is what you think? It's Ok if you do, I'll respect your interpretation although I won't agree with it. Be nice.
Last edited by Deep Thought on Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
There's your roast beef and cheese.
Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Post by Troubbble »

beyondthesea wrote:I feel very tired today, and I've partially racked my brains to try and figure out why farm boss walloped Mr. C before the arm wrestle. "This is for the Kindergarten teacher".

I have a feeling someone is going to point out that I have clearly missed something. Please don't internet-bully me though.
He actually said "This is *from* the kindergarten teacher."

He was responding to the comment the Doppelganger made minutes before, about their club being akin to a kindergarten or nursery school.
beyondthesea

Post by beyondthesea »

Troubbble wrote:
beyondthesea wrote:I feel very tired today, and I've partially racked my brains to try and figure out why farm boss walloped Mr. C before the arm wrestle. "This is for the Kindergarten teacher".

He actually said "This is *from* the kindergarten teacher."

He was responding to the comment the Doppelganger made minutes before, about their club being akin to a kindergarten or nursery school.
Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.

Thanks for the explanation.