Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

HagbardCeline
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Post by HagbardCeline »

Yeah, I'm not too hung up on the differences of the bathroom either. There are so many explanations that it's not a hill worth dying on for me. It's entirely possible they used the exact same bathroom for that scene and it's different. In the time since TP originally aired bathrooms in municipal buildings have had all sorts of re-designs forced on them (most for good reasons!), such as baby changing tables and handicapped access.
thunderclap82
Roadhouse Member

Post by thunderclap82 »

polishq wrote:Everyone, stop arguing about restrooms. I have something more important!

In the S2 finale, how did they get Cooper back into his room at the Great Northern if the key was still trapped in the Lodge??
They asked the front desk to open it?
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

HagbardCeline wrote:Yeah, I'm not too hung up on the differences of the bathroom either. There are so many explanations that it's not a hill worth dying on for me. It's entirely possible they used the exact same bathroom for that scene and it's different. In the time since TP originally aired bathrooms in municipal buildings have had all sorts of re-designs forced on them (most for good reasons!), such as baby changing tables and handicapped access.
We shall see ! (Well, we probably won't see the restrooms ever again)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pixletwin
Roadhouse Member

Post by pixletwin »

This is like a bad meme.

"No problem watching a show with magical floating dimes, logs that talk, or FBI agents that float out from power sockets. But can't believe it's the same bathroom."
guildnavigator
RR Diner Member

Post by guildnavigator »

The restroom scene from season 2 was not shot in Washington, that was all shot in California. The bathroom in the new episode is on location at Dirtfish.

and maybe Gerard pried those screws out and shoved them back in, leaving them stripped and more likely to rattle out over the years.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Getting away from bathroom stalls for a moment...

Did anyone in Ep. 5 notice that after Norma told Shelly she would have to stop being an enabler (or something like that), Shelly said something to the effect of 'you and me both' or something like that.

Is Norma enabling someone? Assuming Hank is dead, as it says in the book, could Norma have a child? Or is Norma helping Ed out?
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

Is it possible that it wasn't Gerard that put those pages there? I remember Leland making at least one stop at the Sheriff's station before he was discovered. He could have stopped off in the restroom. Maybe Leland did it on his own, or Bob did it for a similar reason as putting the letters under the fingernails.
Endangered_Wulf
Roadhouse Member

Post by Endangered_Wulf »

Interesting. Maybe Ben and/or Jerry have something to do with those 'hidden bathroom pages' ?
"Fire is the devil, hiding like a coward in the smoke" -Margaret Lanterman The Log Lady
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

mtwentz wrote:Getting away from bathroom stalls for a moment...

Did anyone in Ep. 5 notice that after Norma told Shelly she would have to stop being an enabler (or something like that), Shelly said something to the effect of 'you and me both' or something like that.

Is Norma enabling someone? Assuming Hank is dead, as it says in the book, could Norma have a child? Or is Norma helping Ed out?
It was in reference to helping Becky out of a bad relationship because both Shelly and Norma have been there and understand the longer you stay, the more complicated it is to leave.

Remember the circumstances Donna got the diary pages from Harold Smith in the envelope he left for her, about the shared dream? No one really talks about the Mrs Tremond who gives it to her that replaced the inhabiting spirits. It's almost as if those pages manifested. She just, found it in her mail the morning after Harold died-- NOT the morning before he died, and it wasn't stamped or mailed.

The letter and pages appeared, and a completely different house and resident appeared. Here, we have more pages, manifesting, not necessarily a person to blame it on. To need to have a person accountable for them to just appear there, in a obviously hard to dismantle without damage door.
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Post by yaxomoxay »

pixletwin wrote:This is like a bad meme.

"No problem watching a show with magical floating dimes, logs that talk, or FBI agents that float out from power sockets. But can't believe it's the same bathroom."
That's not it. We know about the weird stuff, but we also know the meticulous attention to detail in Lynch's works. As far as S3 it seems that nothing is left to chance.
Yet, for a pivotal scene (I mean, we're talking about the missing pages of Laura's diary, a mystery that was introduced in the pilot also solving a mystery which began on The Return's pilot by one of the most beloved characters which is now sadly gone !) there are so many "inconsistencies"?
Yes it's a restroom, and it is quite possible that it's nothing, but I wouldn't dismiss it so easily just because the one armed man allegedly was in the same stall 25 years ago. If the pages were not inserted 25 years ago (and they look quite well preserved), or if this is not the same stall/restroom as it would appear from the environmental circumstances, who put them there? And why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by yaxomoxay on Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

sylvia_north wrote:
mtwentz wrote:Getting away from bathroom stalls for a moment...

It was in reference to helping Becky out of a bad relationship because both Shelly and Norma have been there and understand the longer you stay, the more complicated it is to leave.

Remember the circumstances Donna got the diary pages from Harold Smith in the envelope he left for her, about the shared dream? No one really talks about the Mrs Tremond who gives it to her that replaced the inhabiting spirits. It's almost as if those pages manifested. She just, found it in her mail the morning after Harold died-- NOT the morning before he died, and it wasn't stamped or mailed.

The letter and pages appeared, and a completely different house and resident appeared. Here, we have more pages, manifesting, not necessarily a person to blame it on. To need to have a person accountable for them to just appear there, in a obviously hard to dismantle without damage door.
But if she did not check her mail box the day Harold died, then she would not find the pages until the next morning. So I do think Harold left the pages for Donna.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Harold leaving the pages has always been fascinating to me because the implication is that he went outside.
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

mtwentz wrote: But if she did not check her mail box the day Harold died, then she would not find the pages until the next morning. So I do think Harold left the pages for Donna.
If she didn't check her mail the day he died, she might not even have EXISTED the day he died. That he just got over his condition, wandered outside in final act of defiance, and left the letter there would be pragmatic, but you have inhabiting spirits and random house and a new person just appearing there. Is the idea of it being supernatural that easy to rule out?

Sure it'd be fascinating if he went outside. Know what else is fascinating? Everything about that house and the new Mrs Tremond. AND the signifcance of the dream. Either Harold was supernaturally clued in but that's less likely than the Tremond activity having something to do with it.

The Return is going to understandably force us to question past things we took for granted, or dismissed.
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

OK, talking about meticulous detail, specific to Episode 6... On the Theories thread, Jerry noticed on the back of Lorraine's wall, is some cardboard box with what looks like a camera taped to it. The box appears to be the same type as seen in Episode 1 in the NY Glass Box room. Coincidence? Same boxes from the prop department? Or a clue of a connection? This surely doesn't look like some random item!
box.JPG
box.JPG (39.19 KiB) Viewed 8578 times
Last edited by wxray on Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

I am wondering more why she has that on the wall and what the heck is protruding from it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk