Part 11 - There's fire where you are going (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Taperecorder
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 11 - There's fire where you are going (SPOILERS)

Post by Taperecorder »

This:
DamnFineCreamedCorn wrote:I can appreciate why fans disappointed by The Return might hope for another season, but I doubt it's likely and I wouldn't even want it. I'm just enjoying this miraculous gift of 18 hours. Every story needs to end, and after 25 years Twin Peaks is getting one crafted by its co-creators. That's more than I ever expected and all I want.
Perfect.
-
As above, so below.
-
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

On a Season 4: I honestly think part of why David Lynch wouldn't even comment on the likelihood of another season yet is.... leaks! Meaning, I think -- so far so good, nobody has violated the NDA, and no script pages leaked, and no episodes have leaked. But god forbid that were to happen before the end of the season, I think he'd be devastated and it could put him off doing another series with Showtime.

Maybe it would be less devastating now, so late in the season, but I think he wants to see if the secrecy would continue to hold as the season went on.

On a Woodsmen thought: Wouldn't a Jurgen Prochnow cameo be cool at this point? Even if he doesn't speak. Who knew the Woodsmen would be such a big part of this new season. I love it.
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

bosguy1981 wrote:Wouldn't a Jurgen Prochnow cameo be cool at this point? Even if he doesn't speak. Who knew the Woodsmen would be such a big part of this new season. I love it.
I agree, it's cool, and since we know the Jumping Man actor will be in the Return, I'd love to see Prochnow even as an extra, just for a wink at the audience from the show's creators.
Seeing Gersten reminded me how I'd have liked to know what became of Harriet Hayward. Her character cracked me up even though she was entirely in earnest in her dreamy way (not unlike Candie, venturing off-the-subject from Donna's imploring her to cover for her, immersed in her poetry composition).
Also Hank Jennings, whom I have no idea whether Chris Mulkey will be in the cast or not. His character had a fair amount of exposition in TSHOTP, and he'd been a Bookhouse Boy. Jennings was given a sentence that could be coming to a close, no? Wasn't it 25 years in prison?
"Fool me once... shame on me!"
MysteryMan14
Roadhouse Member

Post by MysteryMan14 »

Framed_Angel wrote:
bosguy1981 wrote: Also Hank Jennings, whom I have no idea whether Chris Mulkey will be in the cast or not. His character had a fair amount of exposition in TSHOTP, and he'd been a Bookhouse Boy. Jennings was given a sentence that could be coming to a close, no? Wasn't it 25 years in prison?
He was knifed in prison in 1992.
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

The Gazebo wrote:
Framed_Angel wrote:If the Woodsmen are mere agents to carry out some higher bidding
Like you, I'm still not sure what the role of these Woodsmen are. I suppose they could be creepy in isolated encounters, but they still feel a little too abstract.
Let me know if y'all have seen this old cigarette ad Lynch made some decades ago or if it's been mentioned in another thread. I haven't been familiar with commercials Lynch worked on but finally seeing this, there's a ridiculous amount of similarity, from the old fashioned gas station to the flashing light effects and even the way the two men move dance-like as we saw with the woodsmen in Part 8: https://youtu.be/vor65mNB8Uk
docLEXfisti
Roadhouse Member

Post by docLEXfisti »

bosguy1981 wrote:On a Season 4: I honestly think part of why David Lynch wouldn't even comment on the likelihood of another season yet is....
Didn't he already comment positively on a Season 4?
sycamore
Roadhouse Member

Post by sycamore »

TheGum wrote:I still like the theory of Dougie's boss finally referencing his opponent- Cooper on his big boxing poster, they've been dancing around that, particularly this week, I was just waiting For him to say "that fight when I bested COOPER!"
It's not Bushnell Mullins who fought someone named Cooper in the ring ... Muhammad Ali fought Henry Cooper on the very same day that's listed on the big 'Battling Bud' poster:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3628&p=88274#p88274

Henry Cooper was one of only four boxers to ever knock Ali down and the only one to ever seriously hurt him. (google it)

My theory is still this: Bushnell Mullins was on a 4-round undercard in some other city on the same day that Muhammad Ali faced Henry Cooper. Mullins mentions the Ali-Cooper fight to DougieCooper in one of their conversations, then all the memories start flooding back!
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

docLEXfisti wrote:
bosguy1981 wrote:On a Season 4: I honestly think part of why David Lynch wouldn't even comment on the likelihood of another season yet is....
Didn't he already comment positively on a Season 4?
Nope. Everything we've heard so far is just "nevver say never". Even Kyle MacLachlan said something among the lines of "if it happens, I'd be happy to join" iirc.

Let's talk about this again in September - as we might be in for a closer then.
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

sycamore wrote:Muhammad Ali fought Henry Cooper on the very same day that's listed on the big 'Battling Bud' poster:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3628&p=88274#p88274

Henry Cooper was one of only four boxers to ever knock Ali down and the only one to ever seriously hurt him. (google it)

My theory is still this: Bushnell Mullins was on a 4-round undercard in some other city on the same day that Muhammad Ali faced Henry Cooper. Mullins mentions the Ali-Cooper fight to DougieCooper in one of their conversations, then all the memories start flooding back!
Would love this theory to be right. Power of the name and all that: possess your true name and possess your true self. Only time will tell.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

Framed_Angel wrote: Seeing Gersten reminded me how I'd have liked to know what became of Harriet Hayward. Her character cracked me up even though she was entirely in earnest in her dreamy way (not unlike Candie, venturing off-the-subject from Donna's imploring her to cover for her, immersed in her poetry composition).
I still hold out hope we'll get a glimpse of Harriet as the English teacher for some of high school characters (if there are any this season), or maybe as an eccentric opinion columnist for the Twin Peaks Gazette. Her scene is one of my favorite bits from the pilot... also her Laura poem from 8 is genuinely haunting.
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

Overall, I take this as very good news, and proof of what I'd been hoping -- that the streaming numbers show that The Return is doing much better than people here have claimed:
Still, 2 million total viewers is a higher number than expected, just as one-third of the viewership coming from streaming is a higher ratio than we could have assumed. That’s good news for Showtime’s young OTT platform, and good news for the show overall. To boot, the linear ratings are climbing, ever so slightly.
:D

I don't see why this wouldn't make Showtime think that a Season 4 would do even better.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

Cappy wrote:
Framed_Angel wrote:Seeing Gersten reminded me how I'd have liked to know what became of Harriet Hayward. Her character cracked me up even though she was entirely in earnest in her dreamy way (not unlike Candie, venturing off-the-subject from Donna's imploring her to cover for her, immersed in her poetry composition).
I still hold out hope we'll get a glimpse of Harriet as the English teacher for some of high school characters (if there are any this season), or maybe as an eccentric opinion columnist for the Twin Peaks Gazette. Her scene is one of my favorite bits from the pilot... also her Laura poem from 8 is genuinely haunting.
Funny how your takeaway was that her destiny would be to make a living from her literary interest, and I could totally see her as a journalist too. MY impression in that pilot scene with Donna was that it seemed loaded with meaning beyond the immediate, but I couldn't discern exactly what. While I found her poem recitation kind of corny**, the refrain does echo other phrases we'd come to know such as "Laura is the one" (with the poem's "It was Laura"). As for the scene in her bedroom composing her other poem: I've always been struck by the weirdness of the room. Two closed doors side-by-side next to her bed. Maybe one led to a closet and the other to a bathroom, it still looked weird and it's one of many Lynch scenes where the doors or doorways have some strange presence out-of-proportion to their usual purpose.

** I can't discount the corny aspect of the poem in the overall context, which was a family gathering and seemingly typical stunts offered by the youngsters like a poetry reading and a piano piece played. It was in keeping with a traditional family setting even as it gave way to a not so typical experience where the guest Leland breaks down mid-song and collapses!
firefly2193
Roadhouse Member

Post by firefly2193 »

Panapaok wrote:
firefly2193 wrote:People on this forum used to talk about $80 million and figures around that area. That number could be complete nonsense. Having seen the show, I'm not convinced it was that high.
It is that high. It has been confirmed that the budget is on par with Showtime's other big dramas, which all have less episodes than TP. It has many locations, many sets built, a ginormous cast and tons of visual effects. There's also what I'm sure was a very big paycheck to Lynch, Frost and Maclachlan. It's a super expensive show for Showtime.
Yeah fair enough, I believe it. Just initially hard to believe it had 2/3 of the budget of something like Game of Thrones, given the general gulf in special effect quality between the two shows. Part 8 felt to me like a $4.5 million dollar episode, the others less so. Hopefully there's some incredible work on that level in the final third of this show.
ProjectBlueBook

Post by ProjectBlueBook »

David Dastmalchian on Twitter:
Major Briggs
RR Diner Member

Post by Major Briggs »

Doubt he knows anything substantial about it...