Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

firefly2193
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Post by firefly2193 »

vicksvapor77 wrote:I'm not sure why everyone thinks the Shelly and Becky scene was out of order. Shelly's elbow was bruised and red from where she flew off the car. I think it is supposed to take place after the other stuff. He's probably holed up with Gersten and hasn't come home, as she mentioned.

Because Bobby says they received the stuff from Betty/Major Briggs "today". I guess the only other explanation is that it was in fact the Bobby/Hawk/Truman scene that was shown out of order, and actually occurred, in timeline terms, in a later part than that in which it was shown. Would that work?
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Framed_Angel wrote:
tlk wrote:Image
In case no one has posted this yet.
who's that? was it from the diner scene w/ Big Ed, Bobby, etc~
It's Tom Sizemore from Heat.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

firefly2193 wrote:
vicksvapor77 wrote:I'm not sure why everyone thinks the Shelly and Becky scene was out of order. Shelly's elbow was bruised and red from where she flew off the car. I think it is supposed to take place after the other stuff. He's probably holed up with Gersten and hasn't come home, as she mentioned.

Because Bobby says they received the stuff from Betty/Major Briggs "today". I guess the only other explanation is that it was in fact the Bobby/Hawk/Truman scene that was shown out of order, and actually occurred, in timeline terms, in a later part than that in which it was shown. Would that work?
I would have to watch the episode again with Bobby and his mom but I think the diner scene with Bobby in part 13 is probably supposed to be that night, after Bobby gets off duty for the day.

The Shelly and Becky scene is totally unrelated to the other diner scenes, they don't even play next to each other in the episode.
kafa81
RR Diner Member

Post by kafa81 »

Framed_Angel wrote:Question for parents (I don't have children):

Do gym sets today no longer have swings and slides, like they used to?

Sonny Jim's new set had mostly climbing structures. From which to dangle, otherwise -- cling and grasp, make your way across, drop, bounce. Repeat.

Also felt it a *little* off, that he's playing with it at night. Sure, it's still new so it's still exciting to play. It was a nice way to lend a dreamlike quality as with any string-lights- evening's festivity.

A repeat viewing of Sonny Jim going through the apparatus, again and again, made me think of a hamster or gerbil in its contraption -- sans swings or slides -- also evokes for me a monkey in a cage.

I thought Sonny Jim was using his gym but going through it on a loop...or from start to finish and then finish to start...if you get what I'm saying... :?: :)
douglasb
RR Diner Member

Post by douglasb »

I think I've read the whole thread yet no mention of the ridiculous screen at The Farm? Another Lynch dig at the home video experience (who needs what is basically a 20 foot security camera feed)?
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

douglasb wrote:I think I've read the whole thread yet no mention of the ridiculous screen at The Farm? Another Lynch dig at the home video experience (who needs what is basically a 20 foot security camera feed)?
We would have experienced a certain kind of fucking sadness if they were watching it on their phones. :lol:
Skip Bittman
Roadhouse Member

Post by Skip Bittman »

CBS earnings boosted by 'Twin Peaks,' Final Four

CBS Corp. CBS, +1.41% revenue beat analyst projections in a Monday report, which the company credited to content like the "Twin Peaks" reboot and the NCAA basketball tournament. CBS reported net income from continuing operations of $397 million, or 97 cents a share, on sales of $3.26 billion, up from profit of 82 cents a share on sales of $2.98 billion in the year-ago quarter. Analysts on average expected adjusted earnings of 97 cents per share on revenue of $3.1 billion, according to FactSet. CBS Chief Executive Leslie Moonves said in the announcement that the new "Twin Peaks" show "boosted OTT subscriptions dramatically" for the Showtime streaming service, and the company said ad revenues were helped by the semifinals and finals of the NCAA men's basketball championships.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/cbs-ea ... 2017-08-07

This. Is. Good.
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

sewhite2000 wrote:Sigh.

People went insane about the flashing windows on the airplane. People went insane over the glitch as Tammy walks down the hall toward Gordon's motel room door. People went insane over the changing patrons in the Double R. People went insane over an apparent glitch in the movement of the head or the way the blood sprayed when Evil Coop killed Hastings' wife. People went insane over Miriam's last name being different on the envelope than in the closing credits.

How many of these have ever been referenced again or turned out to have any significant meaning in the show?

Why, then, is everyone sure that a little oddity in Ed's reflection is The Most Significant Moment in Television History?
Because Ed reacted to it.
ravingnightmare

Post by ravingnightmare »

Skip Bittman wrote:CBS earnings boosted by 'Twin Peaks,' Final Four

CBS Corp. CBS, +1.41% revenue beat analyst projections in a Monday report, which the company credited to content like the "Twin Peaks" reboot and the NCAA basketball tournament. CBS reported net income from continuing operations of $397 million, or 97 cents a share, on sales of $3.26 billion, up from profit of 82 cents a share on sales of $2.98 billion in the year-ago quarter. Analysts on average expected adjusted earnings of 97 cents per share on revenue of $3.1 billion, according to FactSet. CBS Chief Executive Leslie Moonves said in the announcement that the new "Twin Peaks" show "boosted OTT subscriptions dramatically" for the Showtime streaming service, and the company said ad revenues were helped by the semifinals and finals of the NCAA men's basketball championships.

This. Is. Good.

Let's hope this means another season.
Skip Bittman
Roadhouse Member

Post by Skip Bittman »

"CBS earnings boosted by Twin Peaks" is definitely the sort of phrase you want to hear when getting ready to negotiate for more.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

This. Is. Good.
This is great news!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
sycamore
Roadhouse Member

Post by sycamore »

This. Is. Good.
Very yrev good! Hey everyone that can, keep your subscriptions for at least a few months after Twin Peaks ends. Showtime is banking on our continued subscriptions. If they see a huge drop off right after part 18, they'll figure that Twin Peaks got their numbers up for a few months but there was no retention. No retention is way worse than low ratings. High numbers now coupled with high retention = offering Lynch a shot at season 4.
Jacob
Roadhouse Member

Post by Jacob »

sylvia_north wrote: He bumbles around. Should she put him in a plastic bubble and a crash helmet? How solicitous does she have to be? People crash into doors, they aren't in danger of their lives.
He shouldn't be working in the first place : he's a vegetable. Or at least Janey-E should be concerned about the fact that her husband is a vegetable and help him just a bit.
sylvia_north wrote:She is not greedy or evil.
Oh, she's greedy. In Part 5, she negociates with the mafia in order to have even more money than what Dougie has already earned, putting his life in danger. Here, when she's seeing Dougie's new car, she immediately smiles because she understands that since Dougie is now a vegetable, the car is going to be her. She's using him. About evil, well I admit I like to be harsh on her. But it's just because the fact that people here are thinking she's a good and normal person is making me crazy :lol:
sylvia_north wrote:Someone else said in Disappointed it's a housewife cliche give a woman money and good sex and she's happy, well duh.
Give a husband money and good sex and he's happy, too.
It'd be a cliché if Dougie was a normal man. But he's not -- and that's what make the whole thing intriguing and poetic : because Dougie is not a normal man, he's not a husband, he's not himself a cliché. He's not even a man. So a housewive exploiting and raping a man-baby is not a cliché to me.
sylvia_north wrote:Their marriage was on the rocks and this situation has turned out better than good for her and Dougie, who is now free of a few addictions. Janey can't be expected to be a martyr. They're doing well, that's all I see.
The situation has turned out better than good for her and Dougie ? What the hell ? Because they had money now ? And that Dougie no longer goes to hookers ? No shit, he no longer exists ! The real Dougie is in limbo, and the new one is a man baby trapped in a man body. But no, you're right, what a perfect couple, they're doing really well ! Come on ! This Janey-E is a succubus, she has everyone under her spell god damn it !!! :evil:
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

vicksvapor77 wrote:
firefly2193 wrote:

I would have to watch the episode again with Bobby and his mom but I think the diner scene with Bobby in part 13 is probably supposed to be that night, after Bobby gets off duty for the day.

The Shelly and Becky scene is totally unrelated to the other diner scenes, they don't even play next to each other in the episode.
Thing is, after the car scene, Shelly had Becky move in with her. They are clearly discussing that mess with Bobby in the diner that night. But she is sitting on the same couch she was on in Part 10 when Steven was yelling at her, and that she had the gun under in Part 11. Becky's still at the trailer, when in Part 11 she was going to move out. So either we missed a big development in the Briggs family plotline, or this takes place before the scenes in Part 11.
Skip Bittman
Roadhouse Member

Post by Skip Bittman »

Jacob wrote:
sylvia_north wrote: Oh, she's greedy. In Part 5, she negociates with the mafia in order to have even more money than what Dougie has already earned, putting his life in danger.
It's more that she's outraged about the HUGE interest they tacked on above and beyond what Dougie owed.