Part 5 - Case files (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Re: Part 5 (SPOILERS)

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

chromereflectsimage wrote:
DJ Beater wrote:
WhiteLodge90 wrote:The actor who plays Richard Horne came off as someone in there late 20's early 30's if the show takes place in 2015 25 years after the original show took place it would be a stretch in my opinon for him to be not born yet but I guess they could get away with it. The actors pictures online he looks a lot younger so I guess he could be her daughter but I don't buy it.

My best bet is Ben's son from Canada maybe one of the women from One Eyed Jacks.
I think that's likely but with Jerry Horne as the father purely based of facial structure:

Jerry did mention something about hash brownies in the first episode, so maybe he's into the drug exchange through Canada too.
Jerry runs a legal pot farm in Washington for the Hornes. So I don't think it's connected. Wouldn't be surprised if Jerry who now seems much more humble and comedic in nature wouldn't have any idea about Richards seedy nature. (If it is his son)
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

Pretty slow episode at some points, but damn there were some good stuff going on.

-First of all, we got confirmation on whether Bob is still in DoppelCoop. And we got confirmation that they are using Frank Silva to represent him!
Wasn't that superimposed Bob from the scene where Leland almost kills Donna? I think the mouth had the same grin as in that mirror shot in that episode.
Could we assume they will be doing this again at some point? I hope so since that was pretty damn creepy.

-Robert Knepper and James Belushi were fantastic!

-So... Cooper is able to see if a person is lying by seeing this... flash... in people's faces?

-Jacoby making "youtube videos" was quite a surprise. Jerry and Nadine enjoys his stuff.
I thought the monologue went a bit too long though, and it wasn't as funny and interesting as it should've been, but the end with "digging out of shit" made it all worthwhile :D
So that's what Jacoby was up to with those golden shovels, oh dear :D

-I read the first two pages of this thread and it seems the asshole in roadhouse is a new Horne.
That guy made my blood boil. God damn what a piece of shit. Props to the actor for pulling it off that well.

-Why the cook was called Toad? I thought the fat bearded guy in the original series was Toad. I'm confused. Maybe he was Toad already in the script of Fire Walk with Me?

-I'm not sure I dare to look at DoppelCoop's face now that we've seen the mirror scene. He's getting more scary now...

-I like Tamara. There is something oddly interesting in the way she examines things.

-The actors for Becky and the redhead guy are pretty good.

-Overall very many good performances all around. It starts to feel way more like a professional movie than what I initially thought when I had seen the first episode.

-The song during the end credits is really good.

Can't wait for the next episode.
beyondthesea

Post by beyondthesea »

I did find it slightly odd that Richard Horne was assaulting a woman in a crowded place and nobody intervened. Suggests a unanimous fear of him.

In the world of Twin Peaks, bad things tend to happen to bad people. I'm already wondering how his demise will come about.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Re Heidi - you can see her briefly on the far side of the counter as Amanda Seyfried enters the diner.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
TwistedFate_L4
Roadhouse Member

Post by TwistedFate_L4 »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:
beyondthesea wrote:I can see why people are annoyed at the Dougie storyline, it is a bit weak, but I think it has just enough things happening in it to prevent it from being totally crappy.

I just think it took up wayyyyy too much of the episode. They could've spend half of that time exploring more of the Double R diner and Norma/Shelly exposition instead of those long drawn out Dougie at works scenes.
I really wanted more Norma & Shelly and would've gladly taken it over that silly bathroom scene with DroolCoop. I really hope they don't drag this out too much longer- I understand he's like a newborn baby and its all about the journey back to discovering himself- but I can easily see myself getting annoyed if we're still dealing with this several episodes from now.
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

djsunyc wrote:
Hester Prynne wrote:
djsunyc wrote:so is the fat guys body in south dakota the real dougie jones?
No - it's Briggs. I think he swallowed the ring so they could find the real Coop. Maybe Dougie's world isn't a parallel universe after all.
how? briggs died soon after dopplecoop escaped the lodge.
I think Briggs faked his death as part of the mayday protocols mentioned in TSHOTP.
sylviecerise
Roadhouse Member

Post by sylviecerise »

The Toad that we see in this episode is the same guy as in Missing Pieces. There are two Toads (the fat guy who is a customer and the cook).
beyondthesea

Post by beyondthesea »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:
beyondthesea wrote:
Jonah wrote:
Agreed. In general, I think more effort should have been put into the writing and reintroducing of the town characters - especially as the scenes are so spread out.
Probably an unpopular opinion, but a lot of the town scenes so far just seem a little...token. I'd class some of them as the worst parts of the 5 episodes so far. I'm sure they will get better, but *nothing* is happening in Twin Peaks so far - all of the mystery and the freaky stuff is happening elsewhere. We've been quite spoilt really (with the first 4 episodes), they have been pretty intense and interesting. In the original series (apart from a couple of episodes) the intensity was spread out much more, so the soapy scenes seemed just as important. Now they just seem a bit toot.

You're missing the point. The reason those Twin Peaks scenes seem a bit token is because they're after thoughts to Dougies CBS workplace comedy hour... That's why myself and a few others felt like less drawn out Dougie and more exposition in Twin Peaks would give those scenes more merit.
No, I'm not missing the point. I'm suggesting they are the worst parts because they seem like they have just been tacked on. Essentially that seems to be what you are saying too.
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

I wonder if that was Jane Levy's only scene. Didn't she imply that she had limited screen time?
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

Rami Airola wrote: The actors for Becky and the redhead guy are pretty good.
Amanda Seyfried. Interestingly, one of her first roles was playing a dead girl who is the subject of a season-long investigation -- on Veronica Mars.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Did anyone else think the actress in the pentagon scene looked like Joan Cusack?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
chromereflectsimage
RR Diner Member

Post by chromereflectsimage »

Esselgee wrote:I wonder if that was Jane Levy's only scene. Didn't she imply that she had limited screen time?
She posted something on her twitter about being in one episode after the cast list was released, but then deleted it, then again Nafessa Williams also mentioned being in one episode and she's been in two.
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

beyondthesea wrote:
WhiteLodge90 wrote:
beyondthesea wrote:
Probably an unpopular opinion, but a lot of the town scenes so far just seem a little...token. I'd class some of them as the worst parts of the 5 episodes so far. I'm sure they will get better, but *nothing* is happening in Twin Peaks so far - all of the mystery and the freaky stuff is happening elsewhere. We've been quite spoilt really (with the first 4 episodes), they have been pretty intense and interesting. In the original series (apart from a couple of episodes) the intensity was spread out much more, so the soapy scenes seemed just as important. Now they just seem a bit toot.

You're missing the point. The reason those Twin Peaks scenes seem a bit token is because they're after thoughts to Dougies CBS workplace comedy hour... That's why myself and a few others felt like less drawn out Dougie and more exposition in Twin Peaks would give those scenes more merit.
No, I'm not missing the point. I'm suggesting they are the worst parts because they seem like they have just been tacked on. Essentially that seems to be what you are saying too.
Gotcha.. It seemed like you were saying you found Dougie (Coop) More interesting than Twin Peaks stuff which I would have had to disagree with.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Red balloons in the business park. Is this the fourth appearance?
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
crash_and_burn
Roadhouse Member

Post by crash_and_burn »

I don't think DroolCoop will go away and Dale fully return until Hawk literally finds him.

Perhaps there is a ritual, that was passed down to Hawk, part of his heritage, on how to revive someone who has been one of the two Lodges?

It was Hawk that introduced us to the lore of the White Lodge and Black Lodge and the Dweller on the Threshold.