Part 5 - Case files (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

garethw
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 5 (SPOILERS)

Post by garethw »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:Good call on the Jerry Horne bit. I just think Ben would make more sense for his evil demeanor but he looks a lot more like Jerry.
Dunno, in Ep 8, Jerry shows a surprisingly nasty cruelty toward Blackie... before returning to general buffoonery for the rest of the season.
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

beyondthesea wrote:I can see why people are annoyed at the Dougie storyline, it is a bit weak, but I think it has just enough things happening in it to prevent it from being totally crappy.

I just think it took up wayyyyy too much of the episode. They could've spend half of that time exploring more of the Double R diner and Norma/Shelly exposition instead of those long drawn out Dougie at works scenes.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
djsunyc
RR Diner Member

Post by djsunyc »

Hester Prynne wrote:
djsunyc wrote:so is the fat guys body in south dakota the real dougie jones?
No - it's Briggs. I think he swallowed the ring so they could find the real Coop. Maybe Dougie's world isn't a parallel universe after all.
how? briggs died soon after dopplecoop escaped the lodge.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:
beyondthesea wrote:I can see why people are annoyed at the Dougie storyline, it is a bit weak, but I think it has just enough things happening in it to prevent it from being totally crappy.

I just think it took up wayyyyy too much of the episode. They could've spend half of that time exploring more of the Double R diner and Norma/Shelly exposition instead of those long drawn out Dougie at works scenes.
Agreed. In general, I think more effort should have been put into the writing and reintroducing of the town characters - especially as the scenes are so spread out.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

sylviecerise wrote:The Dougie scenes were pretty hilarious this episode. Loved the continued coffee gag.
Though funny, I think it might be more than a gag - like maybe it's kind of like the opposite of scorched engine oil. Ep 29 sort of hints at this.
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

chromereflectsimage wrote:
WhiteLodge90 wrote:The actor who plays Richard Horne came off as someone in there late 20's early 30's if the show takes place in 2015 25 years after the original show took place it would be a stretch in my opinon for him to be not born yet but I guess they could get away with it. The actors pictures online he looks a lot younger so I guess he could be her daughter but I don't buy it.

My best bet is Ben's son from Canada maybe one of the women from One Eyed Jacks.
According to google, Eamon Farren was born the same year as Amanda Seyfried, who's playing Shelly's daughter, so who knows.
Age of a real actor doesn't matter in the movie world. A prime example of that is Heather Graham being younger than Sherylnn but playing an adult woman.

I think he looks a lot older than Becky. I still think he's Ben or Jerry's bastard kid from Canada. It adds up the most with the plot.
TwistedFate_L4
Roadhouse Member

Post by TwistedFate_L4 »

I really enjoyed this episode, as a matter of fact, this ranks right after parts 1 and 2. Episodes 3 & 4 were quite clunky at times and things didn't seem to flow as well as I would've liked. There were some great moments but overall I preferred the first two episodes. Episode 5 to me was very well-balanced, a nice mixture of classic Twin Peaks and new Twin Peaks and it was all blended beautifully. It was so nice to see Norma, Nadine, Mike, and more of Shelly, Jacoby, and Jerry. I feel like the show is starting to become even more fleshed out and now that more and more old faces are popping up it won't be long before we start to see them playing more integral roles in the story to come. The pacing in the episode was a lot better and I am thankful for that- it felt like classic Twin Peaks and nothing really dragged this episode(that shovel scene from Episode 3 was a nightmare). Was very happy to see the Druggie and her kid pop up again as well as Jade(I really, REALLY like Jade and wouldn't mind seeing more of her- she's probably my favorite newcomer so far. Her dropping the key in the mailbox will definitely have further consequence later on and I can't wait to see it) and it was nice to see the car bomb finally get some type of pay-off thanks to those idiots. They got exactly what they deserved. The Jacoby scene was cute and it was made even more funny by Jerry and Nadine watching it, haha, I really can't wait to see what crazy stuff Nadine is up to these days. The Road house scene was intense and I'm definitely waiting anxiously to find out about who that guy is and what is he up too. So many questions going on around here.

Feels like we're picking up steam and I couldn't be any happier. I'm just annoyed we have to wait a week. One episode just doesn't feel like enough. I'm torn between watching it weekly or just letting the episodes build up and watching it at my leisure.
crash_and_burn
Roadhouse Member

Post by crash_and_burn »

djsunyc wrote:
Hester Prynne wrote:
djsunyc wrote:so is the fat guys body in south dakota the real dougie jones?
No - it's Briggs. I think he swallowed the ring so they could find the real Coop. Maybe Dougie's world isn't a parallel universe after all.
how? briggs died soon after dopplecoop escaped the lodge.
Really? Are you sure?

Why else would the Pentagon be investigating his prints showing up in 16 different places, unless Briggs dying in a fire was ... a cover story.
DJ Beater

Post by DJ Beater »

Did anyone recognize the music that was playing while Coop was looking longingly at Sonny Jim? I know the music at the end of the episode was 'Windswept' by Johnny Jewel but the other song sounded new to me.

beyondthesea

Post by beyondthesea »

Jonah wrote:
WhiteLodge90 wrote:

Agreed. In general, I think more effort should have been put into the writing and reintroducing of the town characters - especially as the scenes are so spread out.
Probably an unpopular opinion, but a lot of the town scenes so far just seem a little...token. I'd class some of them as the worst parts of the 5 episodes so far. I'm sure they will get better, but *nothing* is happening in Twin Peaks so far - all of the mystery and the freaky stuff is happening elsewhere. We've been quite spoilt really (with the first 4 episodes), they have been pretty intense and interesting. In the original series (apart from a couple of episodes) the intensity was spread out much more, so the soapy scenes seemed just as important. Now they just seem a bit toot.
Ashok
Great Northern Member

Post by Ashok »

Loved everything about the episode. I really enjoyed seeing Eamon Farren, I've seen some of his Aussie work and always liked him as an actor. Some parts of the episode were a bit slow but I honestly really appreciate the slower pacing. I feel like too many shows these days move too fast and loose a certain sense of tension that Lynch seems to be a master at capturing with Season 3. Only negative for me was the lack of Gordon Cole, but I'm also going to enjoy thinking about her (Diane? Mrs. Palmer?) nonstop for the next 7 days.
"Whatever happened, happened." -Daniel Faraday
chromereflectsimage
RR Diner Member

Post by chromereflectsimage »

DJ Beater wrote:
WhiteLodge90 wrote:The actor who plays Richard Horne came off as someone in there late 20's early 30's if the show takes place in 2015 25 years after the original show took place it would be a stretch in my opinon for him to be not born yet but I guess they could get away with it. The actors pictures online he looks a lot younger so I guess he could be her daughter but I don't buy it.

My best bet is Ben's son from Canada maybe one of the women from One Eyed Jacks.
I think that's likely but with Jerry Horne as the father purely based of facial structure:

Jerry did mention something about hash brownies in the first episode, so maybe he's into the drug exchange through Canada too.
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

beyondthesea wrote:
Jonah wrote:
WhiteLodge90 wrote:

Probably an unpopular opinion, but a lot of the town scenes so far just seem a little...token. I'd class some of them as the worst parts of the 5 episodes so far. I'm sure they will get better, but *nothing* is happening in Twin Peaks so far - all of the mystery and the freaky stuff is happening elsewhere. We've been quite spoilt really (with the first 4 episodes), they have been pretty intense and interesting. In the original series (apart from a couple of episodes) the intensity was spread out much more, so the soapy scenes seemed just as important. Now they just seem a bit toot.

You're missing the point. The reason those Twin Peaks scenes seem a bit token is because they're after thoughts to Dougies CBS workplace comedy hour... That's why myself and a few others felt like less drawn out Dougie and more exposition in Twin Peaks would give those scenes more merit.
chromereflectsimage
RR Diner Member

Post by chromereflectsimage »

Audrey Horne wrote:And more Sevens. seventh floor, and what was the company.... lucky 7 insurance?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PhVHFdAjV0&t=28m12s
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

I wonder if Heidi's action was entirely off-screen, having seconds of knockwurst and trying to get her car started?