Part 5 - Case files (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

TwistedFate_L4
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 5 (SPOILERS)

Post by TwistedFate_L4 »

Panapaok wrote:For me it was the best episode so far. Perfect balance between the genres and the storylines. Loved it. More thoughts later.
Agreed though I put it slightly below parts 1 & 2. But it definitely felt the most "together" and was very reminiscent of the original show where multiple plotlines were juggled beautifully.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

"Off in dreamland again eh Dougie?"
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

claaa7 wrote:I was literally afraid it was about to end several times as im lying in bed watching on the tv so cant see any time stamps. In other words i was completely invested throughout.
I panicked a bit when the band started playing on at the Roadhouse. I was relieved when I checked the time remaining and there was still a bit of show left. I thought that Roadhouse scene was great, by the way. Good introduction to a psychopath.

I really enjoyed the credits of Cooper at the statue. It was touching. While I'm frustrated that Cooper is trapped in Dougie-world, I actually enjoy the Dougie scenes.

The only scene I didn't like was Frank being berated by his wife. His stoic reactions were funny, and I liked the totem pole on the desk, but otherwise, ouch. That must be what the entire Return feels like for our most aggrieved compatriots. :lol:
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

Panapaok wrote:For me it was the best episode so far. Perfect balance between the genres and the storylines. Loved it. More thoughts later.

To each there own.. For me it was my least favorite but I didn't hate it.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
TheAlien
RR Diner Member

Post by TheAlien »

Jonah wrote:
Is Shelly's daughter poised to become the new Laura Palmer?
I feel strong parallels there too, with her boyfriend being like an even scummier Bobby.

It's unusual what is happening here :shock:
For I am I: ergo, the truth of myself; my own sphinx, conflict, chaos, vortex—asymmetric to all rhythms, oblique to all paths. I am the prism between black and white: mine own unison in duality.
― Austin Osman Spare
TheAlien
RR Diner Member

Post by TheAlien »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:The creep in the Roadhouse was a Horne?

Looks like we've met our new Leo -- only he seems like Leo + Frank Booth.
Yep, he's definitely a Frank Booth type :oops:
For I am I: ergo, the truth of myself; my own sphinx, conflict, chaos, vortex—asymmetric to all rhythms, oblique to all paths. I am the prism between black and white: mine own unison in duality.
― Austin Osman Spare
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

I wonder if Hawk and Andy are doing their Cooper investigation on their own time or instead of doing actual sheriff's department work. Did they ever think that what they're looking for might not be in those boxes? They should really go out to the places that Cooper hung out (Great Northern, Double R) and talk to some of the people there. Maybe talk to Norma since Cooper was going out with her sister! Or maybe she's the thing that's missing.
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

Thatfabulousalien wrote:
Jonah wrote:
Is Shelly's daughter poised to become the new Laura Palmer?
I feel strong parallels there too, with her boyfriend being like an even scummier Bobby.

It's unusual what is happening here :shock:

Couldn't get a read on the boyfriend... He didn't seem cool enough to be with her. If that was the actor or the actors portrayal or not I don't know but he seemed more like a loser and was kind of a lazy druggie and less like a cool rebel like Bobby was. Bobby would've kicked his ass. :lol:
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
opium
Roadhouse Member

Post by opium »

I thought this was the best episode so far. It had all the elements that made the original series such a weirdo -- the parody and schizo dream logic, plus out-of-place old technology along with, of course, the music. This episode didn't drag like the others, which definitely made the choice to release the first four all at once make sense. The only scene that I didn't enjoy was the one with Frank's wife. I don't see myself coming around to this one like I did with Cera's. There was no redeeming factor here and hopefully we never see Doris ever again.

So far I've noticed -- and this may arguably be a Lynch staple but I don't necessarily agree with that -- is the show's seemingly spiraling deposition towards women. I understand one could take it as women being a representation of innocence being brutalized but damn, dude.

That being said, the Bang Bang Bar scene was perfect. The introduction to Richard Horne was spot on sinister, and the black-clad man on the saxophone reminded me of Jonathan Kumagai. The lighting here was also great. The Amanda Seyfried extended close-up after hitting the powder fun was beautiful.
cooper075

Post by cooper075 »

dropkick23 wrote:http://imgur.com/a/2HDvL

not a great shot but something is defnitely up with that dude's hand
This is just a crappy face replacement on the girl. I run into this all the time - I wouldn't read into it as a creative choice at all.
Mairzy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mairzy »

cooper075 wrote:
dropkick23 wrote:http://imgur.com/a/2HDvL

not a great shot but something is defnitely up with that dude's hand
This is just a crappy face replacement on the girl. I run into this all the time - I wouldn't read into it as a creative choice at all.
Face replacement?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

First chunk of this one dragged and reinforced my fears about Part 4 -- glacial pace, too much focus on the Lynch/Frost style of comedy which I don't really love (I've liked Constance/Jane Adams a lot to date, but the drawn-out "headlines" gag was a groaner on par with the Andy/Lucy stuff). However, boy howdy did things pick up!

The Jacoby scene was PHENOMENAL. I've loved his Lynchian self-indulgent slow-burn scenes to date, and I adored this scene (with self-indulgent Frostian dialogue combined with self-indulgent Lynchian direction and Tamblyn's perfect eccentricity to create the most purely fun moment on the new show to date for me). The dialogue felt very of a piece with Frost's characterization of Lawrence in TSHoTP. I'm so glad Lynch and Frost seem to have really fallen back in love with one of my favorite characters/actors from the original.

I'm cautiously giddy at the prospect of DKL keeping the "DroolCoop" mode of our main character going indefinitely. Every time I think I'm past the point of no return with this shtick, DKL and Kyle find a way to bring me back on board for another scene, whether it's the poignant shot of him crying while looking at Sonny Jim (I took it as contemplating a life that had passed him by -- remember in Episode 19 where he tells Diane he still hopes he's not too damaged to have a family one day), or guzzling coffee as if drinking from a baby bottle, or touching the boot of the Sheriff Truman-esque statute for what may be hours. This feels like the "Episode 8 waiter" scene on an epic scale, and I have to say I'm loving it even as I'm anxious to see the "real" Cooper (whoever that is at this point). DKL said in EW that the new series is partially about entering the world as an innocent and discovering your likes/dislikes...and given the glacial pace this storyline has progressed so far, it would feel pretty unrealistic for Coop to suddenly make massive cognitive steps forward in the next hour or even two. I find it a tad worrisome to think how much longer DKL may plan to prolong this...but like I said, I also can't help but be a bit giddy at the prospect. For better or worse, you ain't getting a TV show like this anywhere else, particularly as a sequel to an existing beloved property. Pure heroin Lynch indeed.

I think the thing that bothers me most in the entire series thus far is the comment from the end of Part 2 that "everyone loves Steven." I got the vibe from that dialogue that Steven was an outwardly charming put-together kid with a dark side, a la Bobby (or Laura) in the original. Instead, what we see is a blatantly disheveled tweaker drug addict screwup so transparent that even Mike Nelson can see through him. Everyone loves this guy? Really?!

Not to mark myself as a member of the Chrysta Bell defense league, but I thought she was very good in her silent scene. That stuff's deceptively difficult to do, and I thought she conveyed a lot. (Also worth noting that Jacoby's reference to "anorexia, body image bullshit" indicates that L/F are at least somewhat thinking about the exploitation of females in the media and were maybe intentionally engaging in self-critiquing commentary with the Cole/Preston stuff in Part 4).

So it looks like the "Toad" retcon/mistaken identity glitch from the FWWM script and TMP credits is now officially canonized. Weeeeird. Maybe the cook is "Toad Sr."?

The Bob morph was one of the creepiest moments yet. Other filmmakers should take note that THIS is how you use CGI effectively.

I'm betting I'm in the minority -- most people seem to love Wally, but I still haven't found a way to enjoy that scene -- but I thought Forster's comedic reactions were MUCH more effective in the scene with his wife than they were in Part 4. I was laughing hysterically through that whole scene.

"Lucky 7 Insurance" is a hilarious name, since insurance is essentially a warped form of gambling (you hope you never need the policy to pay off, yet every premium is money down the drain unless the thing you don't want to happen DOES happen).
Esselgee wrote:Do we know what Ben's father or grandfather were named?
If you credit the Access Guide, our Ben is a Jr. (his dad had the same name). The Access Guide also lists Orville as Ben's grandfather. TSHoTP keeps Orville as the name of the first Horne to come to TP -- while changing the era and backstory slightly -- and adds Danville as Orville's dad, but avoids mentioning the name of Ben's dad and never refers to our Ben as "Jr." (even in Jacoby's psych eval).
crash_and_burn wrote:Because her likeness is the first thing you see in the opening of the show.
Yeh, but she wasn't credited back in the day just because her visage was on the end credits of every episode. This confirms that Lee will be credited on every episode, however. I'm frankly shocked that she's only appeared in new footage in one Part out of five so far, given how DKL sees her as the center of the TP universe. Still wondering if Hawk will continue to appear in every episode as he has so far (the only character to do so besides Coop).
Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

opium wrote:The only scene that I didn't enjoy was the one with Frank's wife. I don't see myself coming around to this one like I did with Cera's. There was no redeeming factor here and hopefully we never see Doris ever again.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAmen!
BB.jpg
BB.jpg (63.12 KiB) Viewed 9293 times
cy cy

Post by cy cy »

It wasn't clear what Long Girl was catching with the fingerprints, but I'm guessing DanzigCooper's fingerprints are exactly backwards from what they have on file.
asquideatingdough
Roadhouse Member

Post by asquideatingdough »

"Black mold, Frank!" reminded me of "Hot water, Carl!"