Part 5 - Case files (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Pinky
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 5 (SPOILERS)

Post by Pinky »

dropkick23 wrote:Anyone notice the hand of the guy choking the girl blend in/morph with her neck during that scene?
yeah, something happening there for sure, i've not rewatched but it looked for a second that they wanted a tighter squeeze than they'd feel comfortable filming live.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

I know and I understand that many people have issues with DroolCoop but I absolutely love it. I just love the idea that Cooper is slooowly coming back to himself. Maybe the scenes are too slapstick for some people but personally I love them so far. Being There is one of my favorite films and the scene where Coop sheds a tear really created a connection between the two for me.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Panapaok wrote:I know and I understand that many people have issues with DroolCoop but I absolutely love it. I just love the idea that Cooper is slooowly coming back to himself. Maybe the scenes are too slapstick for some people but personally I love them so far. Being There is one of my favorite films and the scene where Coop sheds a tear really created a connection between the two for me.
I've strongly disliked all the Andy/Lucy "slapstick" stuff, but am fully on board with DroolCoop. L/F comedy is such a delicate and subjective thing. (Also a big fan of Being There.)
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Wasn't too crazy about Frank and his Wife.

Jacoby's thing didn't do too much for me (nice to see Jerry again though, so, I think it's safe to assume he/Ben will reappear in some capacity, if they bothered to shoot that reaction shot).

I agree with what someone said about how there's a strange distance to the way the Twin Peaks stuff is shot (wide shots, lack of close-ups). I suggested somewhere that I wonder if it was just a time thing; lots of these actors are quite old, and also for stuff on location, they probably had a ton to squeeze in (they only shot there, what 3-4 weeks total?). Shooting in wides tends to be time efficient as you get a lot of coverage. But, it makes it feel a bit sterile.

I really wish they were doing two a week though. I like Dougie. But, it is like the waiter stuff dragged out over a few episodes. In binge, it'll play fine. But, I think at some point people's patience will wear thin. But, as someone else pointed out, once you set it up as being this much of a process for Coop to regain his identity/memories then, you can't really just have it *click* (otherwise you already passed by a few moments that could've serviced that; his first coffee, 'Agent', case files, etc.). It does feel like it's building though.

Perhaps 4 episodes all at once spoiled me a bit, haha.

Also, all this Jeffries stuff is interesting, wondering what's going on with that .. beeper? One worry I have though, is that if it is the case that Bowie was asked back, and wasn't able to shoot because he passed away, it is going to pull a bit of the air out of the storyline (either he's written out and we won't see him, or we'll have to see a recast for David Bowie, who is pretty one of a kind). It's actually hindering my enthusiasm just a tiny bit, because I really don't want to get my hopes up that they managed to film something with him. I'm pretty surprised as to just how important his character is. Before we knew anything about this season, I thought that we could reasonably expect some kind of reference to him, but mostly as a footnote (well, similar to how his scene is in FWWM is so small, self contained, but powerful).

Oh, also, it might've been that my stream skipped (CraveTV is .. brutal), but, the cuts in the kid/car/explosion scene were super super clunky to me. Kid's face/guy turns key/reaction of kid to explosion/burning car/the guys who were by the car (but didn't die) are already back in their car? Might have to rewatch, but, something about it felt really weird.
Last edited by Rudagger on Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Belushi and Knepper are fantastic. I love how Knepper is the tough guy who kicks ass but Belushi can be menacing with a line or two.

All the stuff with the doppelganger is amazing. Hate to say 'I told you so' but I was one of the first here who speculated about the potential use of CGI in a minimal way through mirrors to bring back Frank Silva. Such a riveting moment. I hope they keep it that way, they overdone it a little bit in S2 with Leland.

Really enjoyed the TP scenes, especially the one in RR. Jacoby's scene was hysterical, one of the funniest TP moments ever. It has Frost's prints all over it.

Also, if somehow Bowie appears, I'll lose my fucking mind. It's doubtful that he managed to shoot scenes but who knows. A Harry S. Truman cameo could very possibly happen, though. They keep mentioning him.
Last edited by Panapaok on Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
AmyCringeneck

Post by AmyCringeneck »

Watching this scene be filmed was VERY interesting. Caleb was running up & down the parking lot, leaping in the air to give himself that red/ high look. When they pulled the car to the back of the diner lot, that's where we could really get a better view of what was going on. Here is a photo from the day the Becky scene was filmed; Lynch kneeled down beside Sefried; they talked quietly for a few minutes. He tilted his head, to show her what he wanted and where he wanted her to look. She did it and they got it in one take. The car is really moving down the street as she's tripping, and Lynch, et al, are following the trans am in a white van.
Attachments
IMG_4627.JPG
IMG_4627.JPG (794.12 KiB) Viewed 9690 times
Wrz

Post by Wrz »

Jasper wrote:
Esselgee wrote:Would the post office really deliver some random key dropped into a mailbox?
Yes, that type of key chain instructs the finder to drop it into any mailbox, and postage will be paid automatically.

Do they not do this any longer in the age of key cards?
Well my EBT card has a PO Box on the back and says 'If found drop in a USPS mailbox' so at least it is done with cards as well not just keys.
AmyCringeneck

Post by AmyCringeneck »

Did anyone else read into Shelly's comments that she, too, had a drug problem at some point? And Miss Peggy Lipton was amazing in this scene. Shelly is truly the daughter Norma never had.
musicaddict
RR Diner Member

Post by musicaddict »

There was some good stuff here. I can echo what others have said and agree that the best bits were:
- bad Coop
- Richard Horne and the music scene at the Bang Bang Bar
- Twin Peaks scenes (for the most part)
- Buenos Aires

Gripes:
- I fast-forwarded the Dougie scenes. Too long and pointless now.
- the TP scenes lack intimacy, this showing observational scenes from a distance feels empty
- Jacoby scenes less funny knowing Mark Frost's true political/conspiracy views
BEARisonFord
RR Diner Member

Post by BEARisonFord »

AmyCringeneck wrote:Did anyone else read into Shelly's comments that she, too, had a drug problem at some point? And Miss Peggy Lipton was amazing in this scene. Shelly is truly the daughter Norma never had.
I believe Norma was referred to the fact they've all been trapped in relationships with pretty shitty men.
musicaddict
RR Diner Member

Post by musicaddict »

Oh and Crysta Bell is still the worst :mrgreen:

As an aside is anyone keeping track of much time has passed on the show i.e. how many days it has covered so far?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

musicaddict wrote:- Jacoby scenes less funny knowing Mark Frost's true political/conspiracy views
If by "conscpiracy views" you mean the stuff in TSHoTP, Mark has said on record that he finds much of the stuff he was writing about to be utter BS that he doesn't personally believe in. He's a skeptic, he was just fascinated by the idea of exploring comspiracies as modern myths.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

So fucking good.

There are so many small, sinister pieces of pure Lynchian artistry here - the BOB morph, the jail breakdown, the creepy stuff in Buenos Aires (last known location of Phillip Jeffries), Becky's coke reverie. Even little things like showgirl Candie (Amy Shiels) letting her hand dreamily float about as the Mitchum brothers beat up their employee. And the final scene in the Roadhouse with demonic Richard Horne(!). Or quiet bits like Norma watching Becky and Shelly struggle.

The moment with Sonny Jim was both touching and fascinating - and featured one of the first new pieces of Angelo Badalamenti music in the show.

Candy Clark always cracks me up.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
John Justice Wheeler
RR Diner Member

Post by John Justice Wheeler »

Knepper and Belushi are very good threatening heavies which is no surprise but I really do hope they get more and better use out of Sizemore. Prior to this appearance I imagined him in an ultimate heavy capacity, this series' Frank Booth, but his character so far seems far more mild than I expected. God knows he can play simpering and insinuating too but still to bring Sizemore into a Lynch project and not let him seethe and/or rage would be kind of a waste.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

musicaddict wrote:Gripes:
- I fast-forwarded the Dougie scenes. Too long and pointless now.
While it can appear frustrating, especially for anyone not into Jacques Tati-type humor I'm pretty sure this material is the heart of The Return.