Part 5 - Case files (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

musicaddict
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 5 (SPOILERS)

Post by musicaddict »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
musicaddict wrote:- Jacoby scenes less funny knowing Mark Frost's true political/conspiracy views
If by "conscpiracy views" you mean the stuff in TSHoTP, Mark has said on record that he finds much of the stuff he was writing about to be utter BS that he doesn't personally believe in. He's a skeptic, he was just fascinated by the idea of exploring comspiracies as modern myths.
I know that, that is why I made my comment. Was that not clear?
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Panapaok wrote:I know and I understand that many people have issues with DroolCoop but I absolutely love it. I just love the idea that Cooper is slooowly coming back to himself. Maybe the scenes are too slapstick for some people but personally I love them so far. Being There is one of my favorite films and the scene where Coop sheds a tear really created a connection between the two for me.
So do I. And yeah, that moment hit me hard. Every episode is better than the last for me. It's astonishing work.

The shot of the little boy watching the car on fire through the window - also amazing.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
musicaddict
RR Diner Member

Post by musicaddict »

LostInTheMovies wrote:
musicaddict wrote:Gripes:
- I fast-forwarded the Dougie scenes. Too long and pointless now.
While it can appear frustrating, especially for anyone not into Jacques Tati-type humor I'm pretty sure this material is the heart of The Return.
That doesn't make it enjoyable to watch.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Just published my response to part 5: http://www.lostinthemovies.com/2017/06/ ... files.html

This was my favorite episode yet, and I feel weirdly comfortable calling it an episode. It feels like the most "Twin Peaks-can-actually-thrive-as-a-weekly-show" episode since ep6 way back in s1.

Some thoughts that aren't in the write-up:

1. So...it's pretty much certain Maj. Briggs was beheaded by evil Coop at this point, huh? Kind of a bummer for his character's last appearance to be a mutilated corpse dragged into another crime scene. Could be a good narrative development though.

2. Richard Horne...it will feel like a cop-out if he's not Audrey's son, I think, horrible as that prospect is. But I'm 50/50 on that.

3. The Buenos Aires stuff was so cool. They're really building up Jeffries, but I will be disappointed if it's a recast.

4. This I did mention in the piece but I'll reiterate - LOVE how they handled Bob. And also, more subtly, the way Lynch manipulated the old footage in the flashback. He's so good at that shit.

5. Mike was perfect.

I tried to "catch up" with old comments on a bunch of threads, esp the two episode threads, but that was a total fool's errand. So I'll prob just be jumping in at this point.
Last edited by LostInTheMovies on Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Justice Wheeler
RR Diner Member

Post by John Justice Wheeler »

musicaddict wrote:
LostInTheMovies wrote:
musicaddict wrote:Gripes:
- I fast-forwarded the Dougie scenes. Too long and pointless now.
While it can appear frustrating, especially for anyone not into Jacques Tati-type humor I'm pretty sure this material is the heart of The Return.
That doesn't make it enjoyable to watch.
Agreed. I love Tati (and I love Being There) but I don't love this. The difference is that Tati's scenarios and set ups are always handled with great grace and elegance which is not, afaic, the case here. Also, his work simply has infinitely more vitality than this. I'm sure that's no mistake, for what that's worth, as this is Tati as seen very much through the lens of Lynch but again I don't blame someone for not liking it as I sure as hell don't.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Well, everyone's tastes are going to run differently but I do think it's a mistake to skip over parts of a work, especially when those parts are particularly central to the artist's vision.

I also have to say I thought the Dougie stuff was gorgeous to look at this episode, easily the finest visuals of the series so far.
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

Everything in the episode worked for me, and I suspect that if people weren't in such a rush for Cooper to return, they might relax and enjoy the pacing.

I'm not sure why people want to rush this. Enjoy scenes for they're intended to be, not what you think they should be.

By the way, I thought there was great depth and tenderness portrayed between Shelly and Norma. How is that possibly a "tacked on" scene?

I could easily go back to the original show and find plenty of scenes that didn't help progress the main plot.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

asquideatingdough wrote:
Mairzy wrote:
madeleineferguson wrote:Eamon Farren is Richard Horne. I wonder if he's Jerry's son?
He was quite a piece of work.

At the end, what was in the box device on the floor then? Couldn't make it out. I didn't understand the Mr. Strawberry remark, which seemed to stun the detective.
For some reason my first thought was that it was someone only the detective knew, like his imaginary friend or something. His reaction made it seem like there could be no possible way anyone could have known who Mr. Strawberry was. Like DoppelCoop can get into his head.
Same here! It occurred to me that maybe Mr. S was this guy's Bob.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

I find it hilarious that Mike Nelson, who was a bum back in the day, now is a somewhat respected bussinessman who kicks away guys like Steven, guys like him in his teenage years. That was great.

I too find it weird though that supposedly 'everyone loves Steven'. Who loves that guy?
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Si78
RR Diner Member

Post by Si78 »

I loved that episode/part. The only thing that didn't work for me was Truman's wife. With her and Wally I think they're trying to establish him as sort of long-suffering/surrounded by fools type guy, but that particular scene just sort of annoyed me. Everything else though - I loved.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

The Dougie odyssey is the emotional and psychological heart of the show right now. I love it, it operates on so many levels and skipping it would be a travesty AFAIC.

I also loved the stuff in the diner. I don't see it as 'tacked on' in the slightest. The roving camera creeping in on Norma as she watches them from afar is so delicately felt. "They're watching us."

Mike the formerly unruly Snake calling Steven an asshole cracked me up.

I need to make/get a properly sized shot of either the little boy watching the fire through the window or Candie the showgirl (Amy Shiels) waving her hand through the air during the beating. Pure art.

I agree it's a bit of a copout if Richard isn't Audrey's misbegotten son. But I bet he is Ben or Jerry's. Making him Audrey's (and Wheeler's?) would only enhance the horror.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

Enjoyed this episode again. I'm really into The Return! Some loose comments and thoughts:

- I feel guilty saying this (knowing that 3 years ago new Twin Peaks was almost impossible), but 50 minutes is too short... It was over in a flash...
- I am absolutely loving the music and the fact more music is happening. Especially the Roadhouse song and the song over the credits/Coop at the status were brilliant. I was surprised this latter one isn't a Badalamenti-song!
- as others mentioned, I am also getting a Laura-vibe from Becky.
- really wondering how the Major Briggs-plot will turn out...
- I am now officialy leaving the 2003-theory, which I liked
- the RR and the Roadhouse scenes were among the best situated in Twin Peaks so far
- have I interpreted this wrong? Was the blueberry-girl also communicating with the device in Buenos Aires?
- was that it for the Amy Shiels character? If so, we were way off speculating about her a few months ago :)
Last edited by MoondogJR on Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Your log and I are on the same page."
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

Panapaok wrote:I find it hilarious that Mike Nelson, who was a bum back in the day, now is a somewhat respected bussinessman who kicks away guys like Steven, guys like him in his teenage years. That was great.

I too find it weird though that supposedly 'everyone loves Steven'. Who loves that guy?
The show demands that we ask this question, and here's my speculation: Steven was a good kid at some point but has recently gotten into drugs with Becky.

So really everyone "did" love Stephen but not everyone knows the truth yet.

Or else the character who said this about Stephen has bad judgement.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

You probably noticed it but Lynch's son Riley was the guitarist of the band and Dean Hurley was the drummer.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Cooperscoffeecup
RR Diner Member

Post by Cooperscoffeecup »

Just buy a bigger bucket.......... Frank is growing on me. His wife, not so much, I didn't like Doris at all.