Part 5 - Case files (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

indyit
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 5 (SPOILERS)

Post by indyit »

bastia wrote: About dougy: it's seems clear to me that the good coop is doing a path of re-birth ( i think lynch too said something about that), maybe because he challenged the lodge with incomplete courage ( as hawk warns in season 2). Anyway i think we'll see very little more of dougy. Kyle in his interview said he only shot for two days in that "mood".
Did he say that? What interview was it? Cause that's great news if true. I recall reading an interview where the interviewer asked about all the doppelgangers and he said he only spent a short period of time as "Dougie", i.e. the person we see beside Jade and who we see enter the Black Lodge. I didn't take that to mean DroolCoop or any of the catatonic scenes we see now. That isn't "Dougie" that's Dale.
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

Still digesting, spent an hour reading all here, all good points by you dugpas. I'm loving every second of this, even the clearly Frost influenced stuff. But my love is always Lynchian stuff.

My two favorite scenes:
1) The showgirls looking on at the beating with indifference. Pure Lynch. Straight out of Blue Velvet. Lynch turns the world on its head with this. 99.999% of every other movie scene involving a beating and women have the women screaming hysterically. Nope. Not here.

2) The "Becky Drug Satisfaction" clip was awesome. On first viewing, I was taken aback because it felt so damn contrived and fake. Ah, DKL is working on me again. It is contrived and fake! Who the hell listens to forgotten 1961 songs, riding in a forgotten classic bad boy car (complete with fake bad boy) in 2015? Who? Someone living a fake (aka drug induced) life. I'm not saying this is an alternate reality, I'm saying Becky is trying to get away from this horrible reality, and this artistic shot just nailed it for me. Again, a different director would show the horrors of drug use in a stereotypical way. Not DKL.

Edit Addition: Hmmm, come to think about it, "Drugged Out Mom" IS the stereotype we see of drug use. Nice dichotomy between Becky and DoM.
Last edited by wxray on Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

Frank's treatment and reaction to his wife seems like a carbon copy of how Big Ed was treated/reacted by Nadine.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Panapaok wrote:Sooo, prediction time. How many more parts before Cooper rediscovers he true self. My bet is halfway through, around part 8.
I think they are going to milk Dougie until about episode 16.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

First time I've ever been scared by BOB- 2x in this episode, good gravy

Very odd how the family of three is lit in the Rancho Rosa sign. What's the light source? It's just an unusual shot.
Every Rancho Rosa logo in every episode is different color with different things depicted.

People are DANCING - this is something new.

Colonel Davis says 16 hits in 25 years, all wild goosechases... Did Briggs die in this station fire after meeting with Cooper or not?? Does the FBI not know about the other 15 in the past 25 years since they ended up not being "real" or... ?

Frank and his green latte smile <3 <3

Does Tammy have a little crush on Dale from his photo?

Cooper- we are lost... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za2_Br_zJUY #sadness :( Damn good joe, tho!

Everybody likes Stephen, eh? Blechh

Johnny Jewel Windswept

Frank 2000 is the new Angelo song
Last edited by sylvia_north on Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:36 am, edited 6 times in total.
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
bastia
Roadhouse Member

Post by bastia »

indyit wrote:
bastia wrote: About dougy: it's seems clear to me that the good coop is doing a path of re-birth ( i think lynch too said something about that), maybe because he challenged the lodge with incomplete courage ( as hawk warns in season 2). Anyway i think we'll see very little more of dougy. Kyle in his interview said he only shot for two days in that "mood".
Did he say that? What interview was it? Cause that's great news if true. I recall reading an interview where the interviewer asked about all the doppelgangers and he said he only spent a short period of time as "Dougie", i.e. the person we see beside Jade and who we see enter the Black Lodge. I didn't take that to mean DroolCoop or any of the catatonic scenes we see now. That isn't "Dougie" that's Dale.

"That was a fun little departure,. It was all about trying to capture in a few little moments, the awkwardness of that and the reality, of that guy, and the fun of it. He’s s screw-up, a lovable screw up. That was fun. It was very brief, just a day, maybe two days of filming."
Kyle about dougie.

I understood from this line that he acted as dougie very little. So I guess we could not see so much more of it! In fact when i read the interview i thought it was a major spoiler :lol: ( but a nice one)
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

Is it straining credulity too much that no one in Dougie's life really seems to be aware except on perhaps a superficial level just how weird his behavior is? Maybe this is supposed to be a commentary on how self-absorbed everyone around him is, but come on, no one has yet to say, "Gee, maybe Dougie really ought to see a doctor?" They just keep telling him to do stuff - get in the car, get out of the car, make a phone call, read those case files, sit down, move along buddy.
indyit
RR Diner Member

Post by indyit »

bastia wrote:
"That was a fun little departure,. It was all about trying to capture in a few little moments, the awkwardness of that and the reality, of that guy, and the fun of it. He’s s screw-up, a lovable screw up. That was fun. It was very brief, just a day, maybe two days of filming."
Kyle about dougie.

I understood from this line that he acted as dougie very little. So I guess we could not see so much more of it! In fact when i read the interview i thought it was a major spoiler :lol: ( but a nice one)
Yeah, I took his answer as being about him playing Dougie, speaking to Jade and MIKE... but it's possible he meant being DroolCoop. I highly doubt two days of filming covers everything we've seen though. Rancho Rosa, his home and work is already a lot of scenes, probably more than 2 days of work.
Yps

Post by Yps »

Yeah it was nice to see Mike again. He has aged well.
Audrey Horne wrote:She's Shelly's daughter... But is she Bobby's?!

Yay, Mike Nelson.

Who are we down to still seeing... Big Ed and Audrey. ...Sylvia Horne, maybe Johnny.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

He meant Dougie, in the two scenes with Jade and MIKE. Right now he's not playing Dougie, he's playing Cooper.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Yps

Post by Yps »

EDIT: I'm assuming that Steven is Red's (Balthazar Getty) Son from another marriage, and that Becky is his stepdaughter. Hence, that's why Shelly was concerned at the end of episode 2 with the relationship between the stepkids. So, maybe Becky is shelly's daughter with Bobby.
asquideatingdough wrote:
mtwentz wrote:The last name Becky was credited with was not Briggs. Is she Shelly's daughter?
Credited as Rebecca (Becky) Burnett, definitely seems to be Shelley's daughter.
Last edited by Yps on Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
akmonday

Post by akmonday »

BEARisonFord wrote:
I'm still stunned that Chrysta Bell can't even act normally doing a scene where she's literally just staring at a screen but oh well!

haha, I thought the same thing as well. "This is some unconvincing staring!"
douglasb
RR Diner Member

Post by douglasb »

Well, 'Coop as Dougie' is at the end of his second day. Who knows what the dawn will bring?
Drammatubero

Post by Drammatubero »

What if Philip Jeffries (who is, according to Bad Coop, "nowhere") lived in that device in Buenos Aires?
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Post by KyleRickards »

asquideatingdough wrote:
Mairzy wrote:
madeleineferguson wrote:Eamon Farren is Richard Horne. I wonder if he's Jerry's son?
He was quite a piece of work.

At the end, what was in the box device on the floor then? Couldn't make it out. I didn't understand the Mr. Strawberry remark, which seemed to stun the detective.
For some reason my first thought was that it was someone only the detective knew, like his imaginary friend or something. His reaction made it seem like there could be no possible way anyone could have known who Mr. Strawberry was. Like DoppelCoop can get into his head.

I thought the same thing or possibly it was the codeword for a contingency or something

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk