Part 5 - Case files (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

mtwentz
Lodge Member

Re: Part 5 (SPOILERS)

Post by mtwentz »

How would you feel the treatment of Bob in Coop related to this poll? I think it would be None of the Above.
http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 506#p84506
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Jerry Horne wrote:Tonight's episode is brought to you by the number 7.
Number 1 on the kids T shirt,Number 2 on the Blackberry message
musicaddict
RR Diner Member

Post by musicaddict »

cy cy wrote:Christa Bell

:lol:
dkenny78
RR Diner Member

Post by dkenny78 »

The MacLachlan/Silva face morph is subtle but effective and creepy as hell. Is anyone able to figure out what image/footage of Silva was used to create the effect? It's definitely not from Episode 14, when BOB kills Maddy. I think it comes from Episode 16 when Bob is chewing gum in the mirror.
The Marquis
Roadhouse Member

Post by The Marquis »

TweetPeak wrote:can we lay that 2003 discussion to rest?
Smart phones and smart tablets being used, the large number on the plate sticker being a month (in reality), Jade's Wrangler... I think it's safe to say that there is 0% chance the Dougie story is happening in 2003.
Taperecorder
Roadhouse Member

Post by Taperecorder »

indyit wrote: I like what Lynch is doing with the sound design, but conversations can be (realistically) difficult to hear at times (like when Norma was eavesdropping) and whilst I understand why it's like that it doesn't change that it's a little annoying!
I loved that part! I noticed that it was something Lynch started exploring in The Straight Story. There were a few scenes where Alvin Straight was staying with a family while his riding lawn mower was being repaired. He would be talking with them but the camera would be just a tad out of earshot and you couldn't quite make out what they were saying. I thought this was lovely. Because the words of the conversation were not as important as the connection he'd made with the family. Norma was watching the body language and facial expressions and could read something was wrong without hearing. I like how we were allowed to do that with her as well. Just my $00.02
-
As above, so below.
-
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

mtwentz wrote:Taking off my rose colored glasses for a moment-

This is the first episode where I really started to wonder if there are too many characters to follow and if there is end up going to be some 'filler' that will lead to tightened fan cuts down the road.

I mean, James and Red have not been seen since episode 2. Will they now appear in episode 6, but Richard Horne will not be seen for another 3 or 4 episodes? Or maybe we won't see Becky or Steve for another two episodes.

Unless all these appearances feed into the main plot, I imagine when all is said and done we'll all be talking about scenes or even entire subplots that could be cut out.
Its difficult to keep track of all these new characters
musicaddict
RR Diner Member

Post by musicaddict »

I do love the coroner in South Dakota - she is hilarious.
TweetPeak
Roadhouse Member

Post by TweetPeak »

The Marquis wrote:
Smart phones and smart tablets being used, the large number on the plate sticker being a month (in reality), Jade's Wrangler... I think it's safe to say that there is 0% chance the Dougie story is happening in 2003.
Those Monitors and TVs look 2015ish
Leebob
Roadhouse Member

Post by Leebob »

The Marquis wrote:
Yea - As the one that fueled the fire on the 30023 theory, I have to admit that it is looking pretty thin now - anorexic in fact!

Not sure why I mistakenly took to "03" on the license sticker for the year; here in my state the sticker represent the month as well; the color of the sticker changes year to year to make for easy identification of expired registrations by law enforcement. Strange however that episode 5 gave us a long lingering close up of the license plate...

Still wondering about the emphasis on "is it future or is it past" in the first episode, but this may be more a reflection on many of the characters, locations, props (and many of us viewers) being stuck in the past in some manner as reflected in particular by Lucy.
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

dkenny78 wrote:The MacLachlan/Silva face morph is subtle but effective and creepy as hell. Is anyone able to figure out what image/footage of Silva was used to create the effect? It's definitely not from Episode 14, when BOB kills Maddy. I think it comes from Episode 16 when Bob is chewing gum in the mirror.
Yeah, I made a quick comparison earlier in this thread:
http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 180#p84313

Just imagine it a few frames earlier or later and I think it will match quite well.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Jacob wrote:- It's funny that some of you are talking about MD or Blue Velvet, because the part reminded me personnally of Lost Highway. The song at the beginning, during the Las Vegas shots at night, the scene with BadCoop on his cell (great morph ! reminded me of Francis Bacon), the saxo during the concert on the RR... Plus, the acting from James Belushi -- as I had foreseen in the old spoiler section -- was very close to Robert Loggia's on Lost Highway. Anyway, I love how the parts are like a mix of all Lynch previous works.
Also the euphoric Amanda Seyfried moment, while very Mulholland Dr in the particular cue, reminded me of some of Lost Highway's most passionate musical moments: think "This Magic Moment."

This was the part where it seemed like Lynch was drawing on the *mood* of his later films as much as the earlier, colder work like Eraserhead.
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

LostInTheMovies wrote:
Jacob wrote:- It's funny that some of you are talking about MD or Blue Velvet, because the part reminded me personnally of Lost Highway. The song at the beginning, during the Las Vegas shots at night, the scene with BadCoop on his cell (great morph ! reminded me of Francis Bacon), the saxo during the concert on the RR... Plus, the acting from James Belushi -- as I had foreseen in the old spoiler section -- was very close to Robert Loggia's on Lost Highway. Anyway, I love how the parts are like a mix of all Lynch previous works.
Also the euphoric Amanda Seyfried moment, while very Mulholland Dr in the particular cue, reminded me of some of Lost Highway's most passionate musical moments: think "This Magic Moment."

This was the part where it seemed like Lynch was drawing on the *mood* of his later films as much as the earlier, colder work like Eraserhead.
Along with the band in the roadhouse, and what they were playing. Very LH like.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

It was great to have more music in this one. The track on the scene where Cooper cries, sounded like new Badalamenti to me. Can anyone confirm?

I liked how Ernie Hudson's Colonel Davis was a nice callback to Tony Burton's Colonel Riley from Season 2.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Did Doris remind anyone else of the deer lady in The Straight Story?