Part 5 - Case files (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Major Briggs
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 5 (SPOILERS)

Post by Major Briggs »

Cappy wrote:
Major Briggs wrote: But unlike that, the Doppelgänger impregnating Audrey doesn't make ANY sense at all. Not even the timeline adds up.
I agree with this, but the timeline isn't exactly adding up for Wally Brando Brennan and his April birthday either.
To be honest, I'd be more ok with an almost year long pregnancy than with DoppelCoop killing the Major, setting fire to the listening station, doing something with Annie, impregnating a girl in a coma and leaving town, all in a matter of hours.
Major Briggs
RR Diner Member

Post by Major Briggs »

Jerry Horne wrote:Do we have proof Cooper left town right away? Or did he just disappear?
Somewhere in TSHOTP I remember someone quoting that he "left town", in those words
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

Honestly before I saw the credits, I thought the RIchard character was some strange new version of Joey Paulson.
Major Briggs
RR Diner Member

Post by Major Briggs »

I think it's most likely that he indeed is Audrey and some other guy's child. Just because his parents are nice people doesn't mean he can't be a prick.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

I like how the No Smoking sign is taped to the wall like they only recently enacted that policy :)
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

Normonaut wrote:
Major Briggs wrote:"Oh hey, I'm an evil doppelgänger, I just killed one of two persons who knows about me and now I'll leave town, but first I will make a pitstop at the hospital to impregnate this young girl who's in a coma"
Bingo.
I think it's supposed to be her son, even tho he looks a tad old, but I seriously doubt it's BadCoop's hatechild.
Sometimes good people just have shitty kids.
Sometimes people who grow up with money turn into shitty people.
What I got from the Bang Bang bar scene, after I knew his name, was that this was a dude who has been given everything he pointed at. This is a spoiled douche who has money and power over other people. I imagine he has said "DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHO I AM?" quite a few times.

For all those reasons it makes me believe it's Ben's kid. Ben probably paid someone off in Canada to raise him and keep quiet and now that he's older he's decided to make a name for himself.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
Major Briggs
RR Diner Member

Post by Major Briggs »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:
Normonaut wrote:
Major Briggs wrote:"Oh hey, I'm an evil doppelgänger, I just killed one of two persons who knows about me and now I'll leave town, but first I will make a pitstop at the hospital to impregnate this young girl who's in a coma"
Bingo.
I think it's supposed to be her son, even tho he looks a tad old, but I seriously doubt it's BadCoop's hatechild.
Sometimes good people just have shitty kids.
Sometimes people who grow up with money turn into shitty people.
What I got from the Bang Bang bar scene, after I knew his name, was that this was a dude who has been given everything he pointed at. This is a spoiled douche who has money and power over other people. I imagine he has said "DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHO I AM?" quite a few times.

For all those reasons it makes me believe it's Ben's kid. Ben probably paid someone off in Canada to raise him and keep quiet and now that he's older he's decided to make a name for himself.
Good Ben wanted to acknowledge Donna. Who's to say he didn't went after his other unknown childs after recovering from the head trauma
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jerry Horne wrote:I like how the No Smoking sign is taped to the wall like they only recently enacted that policy :)
At least cocaine is still the designer drug of choice for the youths. TP is still stuck in the '80s in that respect, at the very least. :lol:
Zachary
Roadhouse Member

Post by Zachary »

Does anyone else kinda hope that this will be the last we see of Jacoby? It's hilarious that the opening scene made us wonder what he was up to in the woods with all those shovels. Then later we watch like 3 solid minutes of him painting them. The eventual payoff ends up being a giant goof, and it would be perfect if it were left at that.

It would be really funny to later remember Jacoby's role in this season only being a way for Frost and Lynch to troll the viewers who think every scene is part of a larger cosmic tapestry that somehow connects with everything else.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Zachary wrote:Does anyone else kinda hope that this will be the last we see of Jacoby? It's hilarious that the opening scene made us wonder what he was up to in the woods with all those shovels. Then later we watch like 3 solid minutes of him painting them. The eventual payoff ends up being a giant goof, and it would be perfect if it were left at that.

It would be really funny to later remember Jacoby's role in this season only being a way for Frost and Lynch to troll the viewers who think every scene is part of a larger cosmic tapestry that somehow connects with everything else.
I don't see it as trolling. DKL, like the late Robert Altman, takes pleasure in the "in-between" moments, scenes and characters that may exist on the periphery of the plot but are important to mood, or just plain fun or human moments. My favorite bits in W@H are the little incongruous cameos by Freddie Jones, Jack Nance, etc. The movie could easily exist without them, but it wouldn't be nearly as good. Painting on a much larger canvas allows DKL to indulge this style even further on TP:TR There will undeniably be an element of "shaggy dog story" to parts of this epic, and I wouldn't want it any other way.
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

Jacoby's rants aren't disconnected from our story, however. Currently they're expanding thematically the key problem -- this is a world gone to ****.

There's intentional irony here too: Jacoby and others sense something's corrupt in the world, but they blame it on material-political causes when Lynch-Frost suggest it is fundamentally a spiritual problem, but the metaphysics are so strange your average Joe and Jane could never even begin to guess the truth.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
Leacock
Roadhouse Member

Post by Leacock »

Normonaut wrote:I seriously doubt NewHorne is the child of BadCoop and Audrey. That would mean he went straight to the hospital and pretty much violated a girl that just barely survived an explosion. The only real candidate for NewHorne's father, IMO, is "John Justice Wheeler". She'd have to get pregnant pretty late in S2 or early after it.

I just don't like the idea of anyone walking into a hospital and taking advantage of anyone that way.
At first I doubted it, but now.

What's the most important thing to remember about EvilCoop? He doesn't have needs, he has wants. I could see him go to the hospital to check on (or deal with) Annie, spot a wounded Audrey there, and well, he still has the same wants that Cooper always had, but no inhibitions.
Leacock
Roadhouse Member

Post by Leacock »

His first words were "How's Annie?" So he had reason to check on the hospital (perhaps the head injury would even serve as an excuse to expedite the process - probably to acquire the ring) and if he runs into Audrey... well I always felt that Cooper wanted Audrey far more than Annie he simply chose to resist it. He won't in this case.
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

I think there's a better chance of show within a show that's a roommate sitcom featuring Windom Earle and Leo Johnson then there is of Richard Horne being the son of Audrey and any formation of Cooper but hey. What do I know.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
Normonaut
Roadhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: Part 5 (SPOILERS)

Post by Normonaut »

Leacock wrote:
His first words were "How's Annie?" So he had reason to check on the hospital (perhaps the head injury would even serve as an excuse to expedite the process - probably to acquire the ring) and if he runs into Audrey... well I always felt that Cooper wanted Audrey far more than Annie he simply chose to resist it. He won't in this case.
I don't want this to make sense, but it kinda does.
Audrey may not even know it happened, she may have woken up from the coma pregnant and just assumed it was Jack's.
Please don't do this L/F
Agent Cooper. Listen to the sounds.
It is in our house now. It all can not be said aloud now.
Remember 4 - 3 - 0
Richard and Linda. Two birds with one stone.
You are far away.