Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

polishq
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 5 - Case files (SPOILERS)

Post by polishq »

mtwentz wrote:
polishq wrote:
indyit wrote:I think Bad Coop is seeking another lodge spirit. It's possible he's looking for a dossier too if that has clues cause Briggs knew his stuff. It's possible that he wants to reach the elusive white lodge and Briggs dossier holds a key?
Hmmm...

"It is in our house now" = Bad Coop (or another dangerous entity) has entered the White Lodge?
"Two birds with one stone" = both Lodges must be destroyed to prevent Bad Coop from taking possession of the White Lodge's power ?
I thought Richard and Linda were the two birds.
They could be, but not necessarily. The last time the Giant gave three clues, they weren't related to each other.

There is a man in a smiling bag.
The owls are not what they seem.
Without chemicals, he points.

The man in the smiling bag was not the one who points without chemicals. Similarly, I don't think we can conclude that these three clues all refer to one common thing:

Richard and Linda.
Two birds with one stone.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

AFAIC the ladies are there. Simply filmed separately. Wait and see, I suppose.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

mtwentz wrote:When will we get back to the Black Lodge or some other mystical place? That is what I really missed in Part 5
Same here bro
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

polishq wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
polishq wrote: Hmmm...

"It is in our house now" = Bad Coop (or another dangerous entity) has entered the White Lodge?
"Two birds with one stone" = both Lodges must be destroyed to prevent Bad Coop from taking possession of the White Lodge's power ?
I thought Richard and Linda were the two birds.
They could be, but not necessarily. The last time the Giant gave three clues, they weren't related to each other.

The man in the smiling bag was not the one who points without chemicals. Similarly, I don't think we can conclude that these three clues all refer to one common thing:

Richard and Linda.
In the original series, the giant gave three clues, which when found will lead Cooper to the killer. This time, I feel when Cooper finds all the clues, he will be given his memory back
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Post by KyleRickards »

Jerry Horne wrote:What were those shady characters looking for at the apartment building in Buckhorn?

Why did Ruth have a book called Indian Heritage on her bookshelf?

Is Bad Coop looking for the Dossier?

Shelly is involved with Red?
Which shady characters?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
polishq
RR Diner Member

Post by polishq »

krishnanspace wrote:
polishq wrote:
mtwentz wrote: I thought Richard and Linda were the two birds.

Richard and Linda.
In the original series, the giant gave three clues, which when found will lead Cooper to the killer. This time, I feel when Cooper finds all the clues, he will be given his memory back
I should have prefaced my speculation with the fact that I believe the black-and-white Giant scene is a flash-forward. I think this scene takes place towards the climax of the new season, after Cooper has regained his memories and faculties. By the time we see this scene in its proper context, we will understand the clues just as Cooper does.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

indyit wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:What were those shady characters looking for at the apartment building in Buckhorn?

What shady characters? I seem to forget details like this in every episode.
Hank the maintenance man. We see him on a bizarrely large smart phone by his truck talking to Harvey. He says he's got it. He's got all of it. He says it's his, his and Chip's. Then he reminds Harvey that he opted out of this one. Then the phone cuts out.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

KyleRickards wrote:

Which shady characters?

Harvey. I should have said character not characters.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Jerry Horne wrote:
KyleRickards wrote:

Which shady characters?

Harvey. I should have said character not characters.
My initial thought was that Harvey is just there for comic relief and we'll never hear from or see Harvey again, nor is it important to the story what kind of schemes he was involved with.

Then again, when I first saw episode 8, I thought the senile old waiter was just a befuddled fool that had no importance to the larger story...
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Don't tell me we're going to be discussing what's in Harvey's black bag 25 years from now?

Is it the dossier? If so, do they realize it's importance?
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

Anyone point out the link between Argentina and The Silver Mustang yet?

That's interesting, coupled with the gold motif.

So here's a theory I've put about 15 seconds of thought into:

We all know that Lynch loves The Wizard of Oz. Fewer people than I would expect seem to know that WoO is a political and economic parable about a populist presidential run in the late 1800s. In the film, Dorothy clicks the heels of her ruby shoes, but in the book her shoes are actually silver. Hence the movie actually completely removes one of the central points of the book, which was advocating a move away from the gold standard and onto a silver standard. It was actually a campaign issue of the 1896 presidential election.

So I'm going to tentatively speculate that silver and gold are opposing forces in this world, possibly representing the two lodges.
secretlettermkr
RR Diner Member

Post by secretlettermkr »

N. Needleman wrote:AFAIC the ladies are there. Simply filmed separately. Wait and see, I suppose.
???
you really watched the scene? if they are supose to be REALLY there, then, there's an awfull error in the editing, because they are NOT in there with the rest,.... and i dont think this is at all a mistake
Last edited by secretlettermkr on Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
indyit
RR Diner Member

Post by indyit »

Jerry Horne wrote: Hank the maintenance man. We see him on a bizarrely large smart phone by his truck talking to Harvey. He says he's got it. He's got all of it. He says it's his, his and Chip's. Then he reminds Harvey that he opted out of this one. Then the phone cuts out.
Ah! Gotcha! Yeah he was an odd one, i didn't think any more of it, but the way this show is going... it's completely possible something mentioned in part 1 could play a part in a much later part.
polishq wrote:
krishnanspace wrote:
polishq wrote:

Richard and Linda.
I should have prefaced my speculation with the fact that I believe the black-and-white Giant scene is a flash-forward. I think this scene takes place towards the climax of the new season, after Cooper has regained his memories and faculties. By the time we see this scene in its proper context, we will understand the clues just as Cooper does.
Yes I agree, I believe that scene at the very start of the show is some sort of flash forward as well. It was also black and white. Does that fit with the design they originally had for the lodges in the season 2 finale script? I know it was meant to be different places like the Great Northern etc. but something tells me it was also meant to be shot in black and white, I might be wrong.

I really like what you're saying polishq about the meaning behind "it is in our house now". Maybe Cooper has to enter the lodges in a similar way he had to confront Earle in Season 2.

I also agree all three clues are probably not directly related, and they have something to do with later events, so we might get the full understanding until we reach the scene (i.e. if it is a flashforward, when we reach that point in the story, like Dale we will understand what he's getting at).

As for the girls, I don't know, i presumed they were in there on my first watch. The screens definitely suggest something odd going on, or simply continuity errors. Considering how Lynch has left in little errors from time to time, especially with crew/cameramen/himself getting caught in reflections, I don't know if this is intentionally meant to throw people.

EDIT: Watched the scene again, it definitely looks like the two scenes were shot separately. You never see them together. I think it's possible Lynch is implying they're behind the camera, because we only see that wall very briefly. It looked to have a sofa so seems like too little wall space, but it's possible.

I like the Silver vs Gold idea cause there's a lot of gold and silver floating about in this show, especially in this season. I doubt we'll ever touch on it that explicitly though.
Last edited by indyit on Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
secretlettermkr
RR Diner Member

Post by secretlettermkr »

TWIN PEAKS PART 5 - PERFECT BLUE
18893399_10211064463540584_7305791324595840463_n.jpg
18893399_10211064463540584_7305791324595840463_n.jpg (46.68 KiB) Viewed 10688 times
sackboy97
Roadhouse Member

Post by sackboy97 »

secretlettermkr wrote:TWIN PEAKS PART 5 - PERFECT BLUE

18893399_10211064463540584_7305791324595840463_n.jpg
Could you imagine a work made by these two together? It could have been wonderful.