Part 5 - Case files (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Re: Part 5 - Case files (SPOILERS)

Post by N. Needleman »

secretlettermkr wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:AFAIC the ladies are there. Simply filmed separately. Wait and see, I suppose.
???
you really watched the scene? if they are supose to be REALLY there, then, there's an awfull error in the editing, because they are NOT in there with the rest,.... and i dont think this is at all a mistake
Yes. I watched the scene and disagree with your assessment. I guess we'll see.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
polishq
RR Diner Member

Post by polishq »

secretlettermkr wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:AFAIC the ladies are there. Simply filmed separately. Wait and see, I suppose.
???
you really watched the scene? if they are supose to be REALLY there, then, there's an awfull error in the editing, because they are NOT in there with the rest,.... and i dont think this is at all a mistake
Couldn't the girls be standing against the wall opposite from the door? We never see that wall in the shots of Belushi & co.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Yep.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

Jerry Horne wrote:Don't tell me we're going to be discussing what's in Harvey's black bag 25 years from now?

Is it the dossier? If so, do they realize it's importance?
Harvey might some sort of One-Armed Man type figure, collecting garmonbozia (or something Lodge-related) from near the scene of the murder.

The way he complained to Chip on the phone, over the ownership of the bag, it really reminded me of Phillip Gerard pulling beside Leland's car in FWWM and shouting at him...

Either way I loved Harvey and hope he pops up again.
Leebob
Roadhouse Member

Post by Leebob »

N. Needleman wrote:
secretlettermkr wrote:
???
Yes. I watched the scene and disagree with your assessment. I guess we'll see.
If forced to weigh in at this point in time, I tend to agree with Needleman's interpretation - but as he said - "I guess we'll see".
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

polishq wrote: Couldn't the girls be standing against the wall opposite from the door? We never see that wall in the shots of Belushi & co.
That is one weird thing that Lynch always does -- he frequently doesn't use establishing shots for scenes, so often times you can't tell where different people and elements are in relation to one another.

It's like in the pilot, when Lucy first gets Pete's phone call, and starts talking to Truman about it. Lucy is going on and on about something to Harry, and you never even know if they are in the same room or a whole hallway apart (until Harry walks into Lucy's shot, anyway). I can't think of another director that doesn't this. It's a pretty small detail, but it can really work to heighten tension and increase comedic effect.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Cappy wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:Don't tell me we're going to be discussing what's in Harvey's black bag 25 years from now?

Is it the dossier? If so, do they realize it's importance?
Harvey might some sort of One-Armed Man type figure, collecting garmonbozia (or something Lodge-related) from near the scene of the murder.

The way he complained to Chip on the phone, over the ownership of the bag, it really reminded me of Phillip Gerard pulling beside Leland's car in FWWM and shouting at him...

Either way I loved Harvey and hope he pops up again.
Agree, great character! Love how Lynch ends that scene with the phone cutting out...or something? Electricity? :D
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
secretlettermkr
RR Diner Member

Post by secretlettermkr »

Cappy wrote:
polishq wrote: Couldn't the girls be standing against the wall opposite from the door? We never see that wall in the shots of Belushi & co.
That is one weird thing that Lynch always does -- he frequently doesn't use establishing shots for scenes, so often times you can't tell where different people and elements are in relation to one another.

It's like in the pilot, when Lucy first gets Pete's phone call, and starts talking to Truman about it. Lucy is going on and on about something to Harry, and you never even know if they are in the same room or a whole hallway apart (until Harry walks into Lucy's shot, anyway). I can't think of another director that doesn't this. It's a pretty small detail, but it can really work to heighten tension and increase comedic effect.
And the guards by the door?
Leebob
Roadhouse Member

Post by Leebob »

secretlettermkr wrote: ...And the guards by the door?
yea - the lack of any guards by the door as the showgirl enters is a pretty stark continuity error. But I think it's possible, after the initial scene was filmed, Lynch thought something akin to "..gee, I should add in some showgirls who seem oblivious to the violence and one waves a hand mysteriously." And the guards were unavailable at the time of filming the showgirl material.
counterpaul
RR Diner Member

Post by counterpaul »

secretlettermkr wrote:
???
It's beautifully unsettling, from the moment Candie opens the door of what appears to be an otherwise empty room. It's not a plot thing--I'll eat my hat if we end up finding out that the women in pink are spirits or some such--it's a mood thing. They act as counterpoint to the violence and posturing going on in the scene and add an air of the uncanny. Why try to rationalize it? Twin Peaks isn't rational. What a scrumptious thing those cut-aways are!
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Post by KyleRickards »

Jerry Horne wrote:
KyleRickards wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:What were those shady characters looking for at the apartment building in Buckhorn?

Why did Ruth have a book called Indian Heritage on her bookshelf?

Is Bad Coop looking for the Dossier?

Shelly is involved with Red?
Which shady characters?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Harvey. I should have said character not characters.
Ah thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
secretlettermkr
RR Diner Member

counterpaul wrote:
secretlettermkr wrote:
???
It's beautifully unsettling, from the moment Candie opens the door of what appears to be an otherwise empty room. It's not a plot thing--I'll eat my hat if we end up finding out that the women in pink are spirits or some such--it's a mood thing. They act as counterpoint to the violence and posturing going on in the scene and add an air of the uncanny. Why try to rationalize it? Twin Peaks isn't rational. What a scrumptious thing those cut-aways are!
this is not "rationalize",,, its an observation of a very obvious thing, if the intention wasnt to imply something off w these girls,... Lynch could have shot it or edited diferently,
Again, i dont think for SURE im right, i only think its heading more that way, a friend of mine notice this, i didnt, he dont even mentioned what he saw, only point me too look at the scene again, and there it was, i cant unseen it now.... we'll see or maybe not,.... we'll see who candy is.... I dont think linch just trowed Amy Shields character in there at the last minute
Twink Peaks
RR Diner Member

Post by Twink Peaks »

secretlettermkr wrote:TWIN PEAKS PART 5 - PERFECT BLUE

18893399_10211064463540584_7305791324595840463_n.jpg
love satoshi kon!!!!!!
secretlettermkr
RR Diner Member

Twink Peaks wrote:
secretlettermkr wrote:TWIN PEAKS PART 5 - PERFECT BLUE

18893399_10211064463540584_7305791324595840463_n.jpg
love satoshi kon!!!!!!
me too, PARANOIA AGENT! WHAT A SERIES!!!
counterpaul
RR Diner Member

Post by counterpaul »

secretlettermkr wrote:
counterpaul wrote:It's beautifully unsettling, from the moment Candie opens the door of what appears to be an otherwise empty room. It's not a plot thing--I'll eat my hat if we end up finding out that the women in pink are spirits or some such--it's a mood thing. They act as counterpoint to the violence and posturing going on in the scene and add an air of the uncanny. Why try to rationalize it? Twin Peaks isn't rational. What a scrumptious thing those cut-aways are!
this is not "rationalize",,, its an observation of a very obvious thing, if the intention wasnt to imply something off w these girls,... Lynch could have shot it or edited diferently
I'm not saying it was accidental on Lynch's part--of course, it was completely intentional. It's a meticulously constructed scene. And, yes, absolutely something is off. The observation that the women in pink seem to be in an empty room, and that their coverage doesn't jibe with any of the other shots in the scene is 100% accurate.

What I'm saying is that creating this feeling of things being off is the entire point of shooting and cutting the scene this way. It's about creating mood. It needs no plot justification. That's the rationalizing I was referring to--trying to come up with ways to take something beautifully uncanny and force it to make "sense." That, I maintain, is completely missing the point.