Part 5 - Case files (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

User avatar
N. Needleman
Posts: 2039
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:39 pm

Re: Part 5 - Case files (SPOILERS)

Postby N. Needleman » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:11 pm

secretlettermkr wrote:I dont think linch just trowed Amy Shields character in there at the last minute


I'm sure he didn't. That being said I also feel very confident Candie, Mandie and Sandie are intended by Lynch to be in the same space and plane of reality as the rest of the characters in that sequence. We'll see.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
User avatar
sackboy97
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:01 pm

Re: Part 5 - Case files (SPOILERS)

Postby sackboy97 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:13 pm

I'm not at all surprised by the overlap between Lynch and Kon's fans. I have to rewatch some of its stuff, it's been a while.
User avatar
WhiteLodge90
Posts: 328
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:45 pm
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Re: Part 5 - Case files (SPOILERS)

Postby WhiteLodge90 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:35 pm

Maybe I'm the only one but I find Steven to be more a pathetic loser than a bad boy, playboy. If he's suppose to be the former then kudos to casting but if he's suppose to be the new Bobby Briggs or even Leo Johnson I have to laugh at that. He looks like a sixteen year old who is trying to be an adult with that peach fuzz mustache and if he's suppose to be married I wonder how old he is suppose to be?

Reminds me of the guy in school who thought he was a rebel but everyone just thought he was kind of a failure.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
User avatar
mtwentz
Posts: 1812
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:02 am

Re: Part 5 - Case files (SPOILERS)

Postby mtwentz » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:50 pm

WhiteLodge90 wrote:Maybe I'm the only one but I find Steven to be more a pathetic loser than a bad boy, playboy. If he's suppose to be the former then kudos to casting but if he's suppose to be the new Bobby Briggs or even Leo Johnson I have to laugh at that. He looks like a sixteen year old who is trying to be an adult with that peach fuzz mustache and if he's suppose to be married I wonder how old he is suppose to be?

Reminds me of the guy in school who thought he was a rebel but everyone just thought he was kind of a failure.


I just didn't understand all the other girls telling Shelly that everybody loves Steven. That was weird because clearly he's someone no mother should want their daughter hanging out with, much less marrying.

Maybe he has a charming side we have yet to see?
Last edited by mtwentz on Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Dougie is COOPER? How the Hell is this!?"
User avatar
Ragnell
Posts: 338
Joined: Tue May 09, 2017 5:50 am

Re: Part 5 - Case files (SPOILERS)

Postby Ragnell » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:51 pm

Steven is married and looking for a job. Richard is at least 24. None of these guys are the new Bobby because Bobby, Mike and James all had the mitigating factor of being actual stupid teenagers who would get better as they grew up. And they DID. Bobby's a cop. Mike is a responsible businessman. James looks about the same but he wasn't a bad egg, just a bit annoying.


The new Leo? Maybe Richard. He seems even more dangerous because he's a Horne though.

But Steven is out of high school so he's going to be more pathetic than any of the teen characters to be in this state still.
User avatar
Coffee
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:43 pm

Re: Part 5 - Case files (SPOILERS)

Postby Coffee » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:53 pm

Calling it now: I think that Nadine is now rich from her silent drape-runners. Check out her room, the fancy chair, the drapes, the office desk and computer set-up - along with a fabric sample book sat on her desk. Also her hair and clothes etc. are perhaps subtlety implying money.

She's gone into business for herself and has actually made it rich. Great message if so -- never give up on your dreams!
User avatar
N. Needleman
Posts: 2039
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:39 pm

Re: Part 5 - Case files (SPOILERS)

Postby N. Needleman » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:59 pm

A lot of addicts can be very charming in the right moment. I have to assume that's how Steven landed Becky.

To me he seems like he may be a red herring vs. the really animalistic fury of Richard Horne. Steven's more kind of pathetic, lamely lying about getting 'good feedback' from Mike. That doesn't mean I think there's necessarily some sweetheart lurking underneath the surface, but I think fingering him for a potential future perp may be a mistake. (Then again, I am not in the contingent that expects Becky to be the new Laura Palmer - I think if Becky was gonna buy it we would've never seen her alive.)
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
User avatar
WhiteLodge90
Posts: 328
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:45 pm
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Re: Part 5 - Case files (SPOILERS)

Postby WhiteLodge90 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:00 pm

Ragnell wrote:Steven is married and looking for a job. Richard is at least 24. None of these guys are the new Bobby because Bobby, Mike and James all had the mitigating factor of being actual stupid teenagers who would get better as they grew up. And they DID. Bobby's a cop. Mike is a responsible businessman. James looks about the same but he wasn't a bad egg, just a bit annoying.


The new Leo? Maybe Richard. He seems even more dangerous because he's a Horne though.

But Steven is out of high school so he's going to be more pathetic than any of the teen characters to be in this state still.


My point is Steven or maybe the actor portraying Steven don't give off even an ounce of "cool" if they're portraying him as a druggie loser who can be sweet sometimes okay I get it. But if he's suppose to be a charming, bad boy it kind of makes me laugh.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
User avatar
WhiteLodge90
Posts: 328
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:45 pm
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Re: Part 5 - Case files (SPOILERS)

Postby WhiteLodge90 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:01 pm

N. Needleman wrote:A lot of addicts can be very charming in the right moment. I have to assume that's how Steven landed Becky.

To me he seems like he may be a red herring vs. the really animalistic fury of Richard Horne. Steven's more kind of pathetic, lamely lying about getting 'good feedback' from Mike. That doesn't mean I think there's necessarily some sweetheart lurking underneath the surface, but I think fingering him for a potential future perp may be a mistake. (Then again, I am not in the contingent that expects Becky to be the new Laura Palmer - I think if Becky was gonna buy it we would've never seen her alive.)



I just found it funny when they said everyone loves Steven. And also that he could pull someone that looks like Amanda Seyfried. Then again drugs like that can lower your standards.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
User avatar
HagbardCeline
Posts: 140
Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 12:53 am

Re: Part 5 - Case files (SPOILERS)

Postby HagbardCeline » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:03 pm

Bookworm wrote:
    -I didn't realize right away the careers counselors was Mike. I did a double take just after the scene played out.
[/list]


I think he is the manager at the Car Dealership they show half the sign of in the establishing shot. I think it would be funny if he and Nadine were still together.
User avatar
garethw
Posts: 435
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Deep River

Re: Part 5 - Case files (SPOILERS)

Postby garethw » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:06 pm

Ragnell wrote: Bobby [...] had the mitigating factor of being actual stupid teenagers who would get better as they grew up.


Bobby did actually, you know, kill a guy, though...
User avatar
N. Needleman
Posts: 2039
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:39 pm

Re: Part 5 - Case files (SPOILERS)

Postby N. Needleman » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:08 pm

I would give a great deal of money for Mike and Nadine to still be carrying on an affair - behind Ed and Norma's backs.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
User avatar
counterpaul
Posts: 233
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:06 am

Re: Part 5 - Case files (SPOILERS)

Postby counterpaul » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:11 pm

WhiteLodge90 wrote:My point is Steven or maybe the actor portraying Steven don't give off even an ounce of "cool" if they're portraying him as a druggie loser who can be sweet sometimes okay I get it. But if he's suppose to be a charming, bad boy it kind of makes me laugh.


What I'm imagining is that Becky and Steven have known each other since school (maybe their whole lives) and that, growing up, Steven was always a sweet kid--maybe a bit of a screw-up, but sweet--and he's only recently gone way downhill with heavy drug use. When Shelly's friends say that "everyone loves Steven," they're talking about the sweet kid he used to be.

I agree that he doesn't give off the "cool bad boy" vibe at all.
User avatar
DouglasFir
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu May 25, 2017 8:38 am
Location: Phat Trout

Re: Part 5 - Case files (SPOILERS)

Postby DouglasFir » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:14 pm

Coffee wrote:Calling it now: I think that Nadine is now rich from her silent drape-runners. Check out her room, the fancy chair, the drapes, the office desk and computer set-up - along with a fabric sample book sat on her desk. Also her hair and clothes etc. are perhaps subtlety implying money.

She's gone into business for herself and has actually made it rich. Great message if so -- never give up on your dreams!

Perhaps she is the billionaire who owns the room with the glass box in New York! :lol:
User avatar
WhiteLodge90
Posts: 328
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:45 pm
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Re: Part 5 - Case files (SPOILERS)

Postby WhiteLodge90 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:30 pm

N. Needleman wrote:I would give a great deal of money for Mike and Nadine to still be carrying on an affair - behind Ed and Norma's backs.

:lol:

Would be awesome but I feel like Lynch made it pretty clear in the final that he completely scratched that storyline. If I had to bet maybe Mike still pines after Nadine but not the other way around. I'm very curious to see what Norma and Eds relationship is like now. My guess from the trailer we saw (And have yet to see on screen) that it's not good.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.

Return to “Parts Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests