Part 5 - Case files (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

docLEXfisti
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 5 (SPOILERS)

Post by docLEXfisti »

Some things I noticed...

Really dig the Dougie scenes - although they are incredibly slow paced, they offer a lot of insight. I bet Dougie will return with those Case-Files and blast through the company... or I hope so

As for the Job Interview with Mike: there are some continuity errors - the boy is switching positions from the moment when he sits down, is out of Bokeh, and also during the interview, interesting.

Dougies Elevator Scene is very interesting, Angelo's sounds, the woman to the right watching the strange coffee scene that unfolds and that hyperactive intern... marvellous.

Those Corvette car guys, first red then black, the black ones killing it with that music. Very nondescript behaviour...hahaha The explosion scene was a bit underwhelming

The Dougie son in the car scene, is it just me or was the son eye-blinking backwards?

The Booper/Bob scene was amazing CGI - it makes up for the sometimes poor FX in the previous episodes. I watched it 4 times in a row, because it is so amazing.

LOVE that Horne kid - wonderful actor, totally creepy. Wonder who's son it is, but I bet Jerry's.

That Mädchen Amick is still completely beautiful. She has aged very well... although Amanda Seyfried looks more like Heather Graham's daughter IMO.

Was it Julee Cruise singing during Amanda's coke scene in the car?

David Lynch changed the mirror Coop/Bob scene. The ending when Coop crashed into the mirror is different. Either there is a new stop, or there was in the old series...
Last edited by docLEXfisti on Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Panapaok wrote:
Agent Sam Stanley wrote:Weird, Sheryl Lee was credited and didn't have a scene while Caleb Landry Jones and Jane Levy weren't.

Also, does anyone know the name of the girls in pink with Amy Shiels? (the actresses).
Sheryl Lee was probably credited because we see her picture in the Sheriff's Department conference room.

CLJ and Jane Levy were both credited as Steven Burnett and Elizabeth.

The girls in pink are Sandie (Giselle Damier), Mandie (Andrea Leal) and Candie (Amy Shiels).
You're right, just checked the credits here. So Becky is married to the dude? Way to go girl.
Ha, according to IMDB one of the girls (Mandie) is brazilian. Cool.
thefifthlizard
Roadhouse Member

Post by thefifthlizard »

Cooper's outburst, "He's Lying", and the reactions to it cracked me up first time round.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

I'm fairly certain all Great Northern interior scenes are on a set.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
chalfont
Roadhouse Member

Post by chalfont »

The back of the Great Nortern 315 key says: "Clean Place Resonable Priced". Are we to question the Cooper timeline here? Was he Drooling Coop before coming to TP in the first place? Seems we have presumed he now is remebering stuff from earlier. What if he now is learning these things for later happenings? Probably isn't straightforward as I suggest anyway, but it got me thinking that Cooper's journey might have/had some strange paths...
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Rhodes wrote:But for me, Madchen is nothing like the super fresh hottie she was. Of course she can't be blamed and it's been 25 years. It's a fact of life that people do age (which apparantly is also a theme for The Return). But for me, the contrast with the original show (and the inevitable decay) was almost a bit depressing.
I would love to inevitably decay in the same fashion as Madchen Amick, please
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
NightTimeMyTime
Roadhouse Member

Post by NightTimeMyTime »

dronerstone wrote:
NightTimeMyTime wrote:
BigEd wrote:
Ahem, have you seen pt. 5? Or were you just wandering spoiler threads aimlessly. :)

Is it possible that Briggs swallowed the ring in a deliberate attempt to draw attention to Dougie?
Aaaah... I See what you mean. That information (in the Pentagon scene) got lost in translation for me and I didn't watch with subtitles. That explains (more or less) why Major Briggs head was flying in space. The popular guess from fans became correct. And Phillip Jeffries' mentioning of Mr. C:s meeting with Major Briggs. He meant Mr. C:s meeting when he killed him, not many days before they found the body. I wonder what happened in that arson 25 years ago, when the major disappeared. How did the major escape Doppelganger Cooper...?

Regarding Dougie's ring in Major Briggs stomach; I agree. Major Briggs knew Cooper would come back into the world and wanted him connected to his body, so the police could find out the existence of Cooper in the world. Now, it should lead the police to the knowing of *two* Coopers. But I guess they wont identify Cooper that easy. At least now when the Davenport/Major Briggs case is becoming connected to more than South Dakota (in fact all the way to Pentagon thanks to Briggs), FBI are going to take over the Dougie Jones connection. And Bobby Briggs will be in touch with all of this pretty soon to. a couple of episodes away from now perhaps?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

LostInTheMovies wrote:Just published my response to part 5: http://www.lostinthemovies.com/2017/06/ ... files.html
Great stuff, Lost. One particular thing from your review I'd like to touch on: the possibility of Coop's office exploits being a Bizarro Mad Men, and the notion that this work will end up incorporating/subverting themes not only from DKL's prior works and celluloid forebearers, but also from various series from the "Peak TV" prestige drama era. Even more than anything in Part 5, the moment in Part 4 when DroolCoop meets "Bill Shaker of Allied Chemicals" felt like a hysterical spoof on about a million Mad Men scenes, with Coop as a demented/brain-dead substitute for Pete or Don. And the scenes of the little kid sitting around the house with his drugged-up mom passed out surely echo the heartbreaking "Peek-a-Boo" episode from Breaking Bad season 2. We know DKL loved both these series, and I think these parallels are certainly little shout-outs, with a Lynchian twist.
freeek
Roadhouse Member

Post by freeek »

I'm calling it right now : "shovel your way out of the shit" is going to enter the common language. :mrgreen:
Here Comes That Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by Here Comes That Bob »

- Even though this ep wasn't that ground breaking in terms of plot development, I very much enjoyed it. I found myself constantly laughing throughough its course.

- Only aspect I didn't like was sheriff Truman's wife... Her entire scene was really awkward and cringy...

- The shot of high "Amanda Seyfried" was great ... Is she following the footsteps of her mother, hooking up with another loser? Altough her guy doesn't seem to be the violent type like Leo.

- Creepy guy with the cigarette... Did anyone else get the Bobby Peru vibe from him?

- I guess it was confirmed that Coop's doppelganger is indeed possessed by Bob.

- My goodness the Jacoby Scene !!! After all the speculations on the significance of the golden showels, their purpose is literally for digging ourselves out of the shit. Lynch&Frost were surely taking a piss out of theoretical aspect of TP fanbase.
HagbardCeline
RR Diner Member

Post by HagbardCeline »

Does anyone think that this point that Philip Jeffries is somehow *only* a voice. Just a machine?

EDIT to add: Finally got through all of the new posts, and indeed a couple others had this same thought. :D
Last edited by HagbardCeline on Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Here Comes That Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by Here Comes That Bob »

Also I hope we get to see more Jade... I love Jade!
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Here Comes That Bob wrote:Also I hope we get to see more Jade... I love Jade!
I agree. Was so glad (and surprised) to see the world's nicest prostitute back!
KnewItsPa
Roadhouse Member

Post by KnewItsPa »

Jade is great. Hope she has a sister, Emerald.

Jacoby had me laughing out loud. Couldn't help but hear Lynch giving him direction / vocal cues on that.
What was the medium there? Local cable TV or internet or something?

Also did anybody catch what was written on the Blackberry?
"Crack the code, solve the crime."
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

KnewItsPa wrote:Also did anybody catch what was written on the Blackberry?
I think it said:

ARGENT
2 [Not sure about this. I think it was a number though.]