Parts 3 & 4 - Call for help & ...brings back some memories (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Re: Parts 3 + 4 (Spoilers)

Post by N. Needleman »

She is not credited as Ronette, right? But who knows.

This is wild. I dig it.

People can take it however they want but this is the furthest thing from a cash-in.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

N. Needleman wrote:She is not credited as Ronette, right? But who knows.

This is wild. I dig it.

People can take it however they want but this is the furthest thing from a cash-in.
I didn't see who she was credited as. Confusing if she was supposed to be a different character.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

Jasper wrote: I had a suspicion that 3&4 might have gotten early release from Showtime due to things not quite getting to where they were going in the first two hours. It would certainly make sense after having seen episode 3. I think it’s likely that Showtime knew how weird and foreign the first two hours were, and they wanted to prevent that being the only impression of critics and viewers for an entire week.
Yeah, that must've been a decision coming from Showtime that they HAVE to show the next episodes too. They just CAN'T show those two opening episodes and leave it at that. The jump in quality is so huge there.
speedbeatz
Roadhouse Member

Post by speedbeatz »

Ross wrote:

This is wild. I dig it.

I didn't see who she was credited as. Confusing if she was supposed to be a different character.
She's credited as "American Girl".
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

speedbeatz wrote:
Ross wrote:

This is wild. I dig it.

She's credited as "American Girl".
So I guess she's not supposed to be Ronette. Weird.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I dunno if it is or isn't her. But it's a real coinkydink if not.

HELLOOOOO
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
JordinGoff
Roadhouse Member

Post by JordinGoff »

counterpaul wrote: 5) The effects: Guys, Lynch is not and has never been interested in "realistic" VFX. From the moment he started playing around with computers in the early 2000s, he's consistently made stuff exactly like this. Realism is simply not the point. I freaking LOVE the Evolution of the Arm! It's beautifully ungainly and uncanny. And, my god, the stuff in Part 3 was simply gorgeous! I think this IS indeed the kind of stuff he's been carrying around in his head since he wrote the Ronnie Rocket screenplay (and TP's connection to RR is NOT new--lyrics from Sycamore Trees are lifted directly from dialogue in RR, the whole eeeeelectricity business in FWWM is straight out of RR, and of course TLMFAP was directly inspired by Ronnie himself) and here he is finally REALIZING it on screen! My GOD I love Coop's journey in Part 3. My god!
Totally agreed with all of this! As well as someone else's comments that the type of imagery we see in David's paintings (and Eraserhead!) is on full display here! That element being part of the Peaks universe is something I've always dreamed of, we got a bit of it with the white faced Laura/Leland, Jumping Man etc. in FWWM, but the first shot of the Evolved Arm was a serious dream come true for me. It's been a hope of mine since this was announced that Lynch would utilize these kinds of digital effects that weren't nearly as advanced/available when he last directed (I know that these have their artifice and are not super realistic but that works for me personally). Those elements at the beginning of Episode 3 blew me away too, Eraserhead and Peaks worlds colliding makes me so much happier than I know how to put in words. :)

Those cosmic impossibilities that mentions of the Lodge would make me imagine are here now and I can see them outside of vague notions in my head. I know that the subtle suggestion of these worlds in a more grounded reality can work just as well, but I am just so happy to see them fully(?) explored. I can't wait to see what the next 14 hours have in store! <3
sp.agent.dalecooper
Roadhouse Member

Post by sp.agent.dalecooper »

Chester Desmond wrote:Cera is good. The natural evolution of a Book House Boy LOL, a pastiche of the 90s Twin Peaks, taking the piss out of it. LOVE IT.

Robert Forster is good.

Dana did real well.

The Sheriff's Department scene, is by far, the best so far. Too bad the entire show couldn't be that good.

It seems the general rule is: if you have acted for David Lynch before, the performance is okay to great. if not, it's gonna be bad.

You can tell Micheal Anderson Ian missed, they didn't need CGI for the red room
So interesting how opinions can vary.

To me, Cera was as bad as I feared. I love Aressted Development and unfortunately it will require a transformative performance for him to ever be anything other than George Michael to me. So his appearance completely took me out of it.

I'm also havin a very hard time with Andy and Lucy.

Bobby and James have worked for me. Hawk has worked for me except for the Chocolate Bunny waste of time.

Good Coop inserted into Doug E's life is painful but I am willing to accept it because it makes sense to me that he would be massively disoriented coming out of the Lodge after 25 years and especially in the manner he did, because of Bad Coops rule bending.

I do need Good Coop as Doug E to at least become somewhat coherent and cogent sooner than later, as in ep 5 soon. Hopefully his reintroduction to urination, eating, and coffee will sufficiently jog the senses, synapses, and eventually memory.
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

All the Lodge parts seems like extended Playstation2 add.

Judge Giant
Roadhouse Member

Post by Judge Giant »

Quite baffled by the 'the SFX sucks!' comments - you'd think people have never seen a Lynch project before. Crude effects and animation are a deliberate, longstanding tool of his. It's part of what makes that very specific and unnerving tone/atmosphere/aesthetic.
This was a vision, fresh and clear as a mountain stream. The mind revealing itself to itself.

Visit my Lynch blog at https://lynchiantimes.wordpress.com, or follow on twitter https://twitter.com/LynchianTimes
Cipher
RR Diner Member

Post by Cipher »

Judge Giant wrote:Quite baffled by the 'the SFX sucks!' comments - you'd think people have never seen a Lynch project before. Crude effects and animation are a deliberate, longstanding tool of his. It's part of what makes that very specific and unnerving tone/atmosphere/aesthetic.
Comments on both this and the acting continue to baffle me. Lynch wants you to know you're watching a film. The tight control over every other creative element (with some arguments to be made about pacing, though even that is obviously deliberate) makes it obvious these are intentional elements of the uncanny.
Last edited by Cipher on Mon May 22, 2017 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Loved these as well!!

That breakfast scene with Take Five playing was brilliant. That coffee did ring a bell... somewhere!
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Judge Giant
Roadhouse Member

Post by Judge Giant »

OK - who had $5 on TMFAP/The Arm becoming a tree with a fleshy blob head? Anyone? :lol:
This was a vision, fresh and clear as a mountain stream. The mind revealing itself to itself.

Visit my Lynch blog at https://lynchiantimes.wordpress.com, or follow on twitter https://twitter.com/LynchianTimes
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

As I could already tell from that behind the scenes teaser: Chrysta Bell feels most unnatural to me.

So I guess we're seeing Diane next episode? :) Did Albert say: ''I know where she drinks''? And then we switched to the bang-bang bar. TP resident now?

It'll be good to have good 'ol Coop back at some point. Or is he going to keep this up forever?
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

The new series gets a big thumbs-up from me. The wackiest thumbs-up ever.
wackythumb.png
wackythumb.png (465.77 KiB) Viewed 10209 times