Parts 3 & 4 - Call for help & ...brings back some memories (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

RoddimusPrime

Re: Parts 3 + 4 (Spoilers)

Post by RoddimusPrime »

Normonaut wrote:
Trudy Chelgren wrote:Don't know if it's already been said, but does anyone else think the decapitated John Doe was the body of Major Briggs? It's what I thought when the Buckhorn police found the body's fingerprint information was locked by the military.
I thought so, but then Bobby said his dad has been dead since right after season 2.

Still not impossible though, it is Lynch after all.

Maybe Jeffries?
Bobby says: "Cooper was the last person to see my father alive. [according to Bobby's mother] Cooper had come by the house and talked to my dad. And I guess Cooper left town pretty soon after that. My Dad died in a fire at his station the next day."

On the surface, it does sound like this happened before Cooper disappeared following the events of Season 2, but Bobby doesn't explicitly say that. In fact, Hawk is very surprised to hear this news, stating that Coop hasn't been seen in 25 years.

When the Bad Coop is talking to "Phillip Jeffries", "Jeffries" says to Coop: "You met with Major Garland Briggs.", to which Coop replies in a surprised tone: "How did you know that?"

It sounds like Cooper met with Briggs relatively recently, but maybe not. As Jeffries said in FWWM, I don't have a lot to go on.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Rami Airola wrote:
Here Comes That Bob wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
Right now, I would consider that question to be one of the central mysteries, if not THE central mystery, of the series.

I have not heard of any theories so far.
The Giant specifically says: "Remember … 430. Richard and Linda."

That would indicate to me they're people Coop's already familiar with. 430 could maybe be the number of the case or some sort of important date.
I think 430 refers to time. At 4:30 something will happen.

Like I think 253 was mentioned by the new Arm and it ended up being a time too. (could be I'm remembering it wrong though)
Exactly,thats what i thought
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Guys what do you think when Cooper said "Messages to know its safe".What is it?
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

RoddimusPrime wrote:
Normonaut wrote:
Trudy Chelgren wrote:Don't know if it's already been said, but does anyone else think the decapitated John Doe was the body of Major Briggs? It's what I thought when the Buckhorn police found the body's fingerprint information was locked by the military.
I thought so, but then Bobby said his dad has been dead since right after season 2.

Still not impossible though, it is Lynch after all.

Maybe Jeffries?
Bobby says: "Cooper was the last person to see my father alive. [according to Bobby's mother] Cooper had come by the house and talked to my dad. And I guess Cooper left town pretty soon after that. My Dad died in a fire at his station the next day."

On the surface, it does sound like this happened before Cooper disappeared following the events of Season 2, but Bobby doesn't explicitly say that. In fact, Hawk is very surprised to hear this news, stating that Coop hasn't been seen in 25 years.

When the Bad Coop is talking to "Phillip Jeffries", "Jeffries" says to Coop: "You met with Major Garland Briggs.", to which Coop replies in a surprised tone: "How did you know that?"

It sounds like Cooper met with Briggs relatively recently, but maybe not. As Jeffries said in FWWM, I don't have a lot to go on.
that seems true.Are you from tfw2005 by any chance?
thedougpa
RR Diner Member

Post by thedougpa »

Jerry Horne wrote:
dud wrote:controversial opinion coming thru: bobby's moment crying over laura's picture was actually one of the only moments i strongly disliked so far! it felt TOO twin peaks-y, too on the nose, like so little of this show so far feels like the old twin peaks that that moment came off as not being genuine. felt so out of blue and forced that it was jarring to me.
Agree 100%. Bobby cries instantly 25 years later when he sees a photo of Laura? Did he even cry at the funeral?

However,

Is there something else going on here? It almost seemed like an act of some sort? On my next re-watch I plan on paying attention to everything Bobby. Something seems off.
You'd cry too if you saw a picture of the chick that laughed in your face when you were losing your virginity. Bobby is a sensitive guy, he always has been, and it kind of makes him the new Andy on the force.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dom834
Roadhouse Member

Post by Dom834 »

Jerry Horne wrote:
dud wrote:controversial opinion coming thru: bobby's moment crying over laura's picture was actually one of the only moments i strongly disliked so far! it felt TOO twin peaks-y, too on the nose, like so little of this show so far feels like the old twin peaks that that moment came off as not being genuine. felt so out of blue and forced that it was jarring to me.
Agree 100%. Bobby cries instantly 25 years later when he sees a photo of Laura? Did he even cry at the funeral?

However,

Is there something else going on here? It almost seemed like an act of some sort? On my next re-watch I plan on paying attention to everything Bobby. Something seems off.
This felt like the Bobby in Jacoby's office who bursted into tears when Jacoby talked of how Laura abused him. To him, this is also now linked to the death of his dad very soon after Laura's murder.

This was also a call back to the days of melodramatic soap parody, amplified by the use of the Laura theme.

I can't help but feel that this was like the little hints of the past that start to show in Good Coop's story, with the thumbs up and the coffee, etc. Heck, even Lucy's IQ seems to have taken a dive. It's really like the town and Cooper reflect one another. We won't fully get TP back until we fully get Agent Cooper back.
RoddimusPrime

Post by RoddimusPrime »

krishnanspace wrote: that seems true.Are you from tfw2005 by any chance?
Wow, as a matter of fact I do have an account there from way back--- but I never posted even one time.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Jerry Horne wrote:
What? Totally believable! He may have been a hormone filled little thug back in the day but he's seemingly a good sport now. Remember this: he lost his girlfriend in that period, his father plus he himself murdered a fella. Surely these things can weigh down on someone. Remember how Cooper described her death affected each and everyone in Twin Peaks? I'm glad they are showing her loss still has an impact, all these years later.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Post by Troubbble »

AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:
frompureair wrote:To which I'd add that this probably means that S03's general emptiness and absence of decent music = The Wizard of Oz's initial sequence in black and white. So presumably S03 will burst into musical Technicolor when Coop arrives in the equivalent of Oz.
Whether as part of an Oz homage or not, this is my exact expectation for the later episodes of the season.

Hear what people are saying about the relative lack of music in these parts, but since we know they could have used any of the old music cues at any time they wanted, the lack thereof has been completely intentional - and I expect it won't last.
rocketsan22
RR Diner Member

Post by rocketsan22 »

Sorry if this has been asked/addressed earlier in this 30+ page thread...have lots to read :D

But, was the #15 on that outlet/portal thing the same number on the pole in the Fat Trout Trailer Park pole from FWWM? I vaguely remember seeing a number...
rocketsan22
RR Diner Member

Post by rocketsan22 »

My care if you will random observations...

- Technology is so prevalent in the new series (even in the police station) and it's off putting, for even in 1990, the technology in TP world was still primitive (Gordon's ears...telephones...Sam's police equipment etc)
- Lack of Angelo music sucks...in the scenes they actually used it, I felt that re-connection
- Nudity (while fine on the eyes) is a distraction
- Albert's yelling in the car made me laugh out loud
- the urge to touch my own cell phone during viewings is something I had issue with seeing as the first series I didn't have the luxury/distraction
- I miss Michael Ontkean
- each actor we have lost who is in the show makes my throat lump.
- what I would do to bring Jack Nance back to life...
RoddimusPrime

Post by RoddimusPrime »

rocketsan22 wrote:Sorry if this has been asked/addressed earlier in this 30+ page thread...have lots to read :D

But, was the #15 on that outlet/portal thing the same number on the pole in the Fat Trout Trailer Park pole from FWWM? I vaguely remember seeing a number...
No, the telephone pole at Fat Trout was number 6--- although, as someone pointed out, 1 + 5 = 6

Incidentally, the motel room Bad Coop killed Daria and contacted "Jeffries" was number 6 and had a red door.
Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Post by Troubbble »

rocketsan22 wrote:Sorry if this has been asked/addressed earlier in this 30+ page thread...have lots to read :D

The poles shown in the trailer park in the film were #6 and #7.

They don't match with the outlets in Episode 3 - but they DO match with the hotel room numbers shown in Episode 2! Evil Coop snuffs out Daria in room #6, and then meets with Jennifer Jason Leigh's character in room #7. Make of that what you will!
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Soolsma wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:
What? Totally believable! He may have been a hormone filled little thug back in the day but he's seemingly a good sport now. Remember this: he lost his girlfriend in that period, his father plus he himself murdered a fella. Surely these things can weigh down on someone. Remember how Cooper described her death affected each and everyone in Twin Peaks? I'm glad they are showing her loss still has an impact, all these years later.
I have no doubt Bobby continues to have feelings for Laura. However, how strong were those feelings if he was banging Shelly on the side? Jacoby did a masterful job of manipulating Bobby into crying I agree. My issue is the execution of that scene. He cries in record time and it seems unnatural to me. Granted, I've only seen that episode once and it could click for me on my next watch. Are other things going on with Bobby and seeing that photo was the last straw? Only time will tell. I think Bobby could be a big player here.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
ataxia

Post by ataxia »

I know this is sacrilegious, as I'm aware of Lynch's opinion on the matter, but when I saw these two shots I could not help but think of possible product placement.
IMG_2734.PNG
IMG_2734.PNG (245.77 KiB) Viewed 9004 times
IMG_2735.PNG
IMG_2735.PNG (364.3 KiB) Viewed 9004 times
I know the time (2:53) was important to show, but it seems like a different car or console without a blatant logo could have been used.

It just struck me as odd and not like anything I've seen in the original series. I'd love to hear your thoughts.