Parts 3 & 4 - Call for help & ...brings back some memories (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

BEARisonFord
RR Diner Member

Re: Parts 3 + 4 (Spoilers)

Post by BEARisonFord »

Jerry Horne wrote: I have no doubt Bobby continues to have feelings for Laura. However, how strong were those feelings if he was banging Shelly on the side? Jacoby did a masterful job of manipulating Bobby into crying I agree. My issue is the execution of that scene. He cries in record time and it seems unnatural to me. Granted, I've only seen that episode once and it could click for me on my next watch. Are other things going on with Bobby and seeing that photo was the last straw? Only time will tell. I think Bobby could be a big player here.
I think this is simply an extension of the themes we saw in the original series, which were that despite her actions, Laura had a visceral and profound effect on everyone around her, both in life and death. Bobby's scene may have been a tad melodramatic, but it didn't strike me as out of place.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

BEARisonFord wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote: I have no doubt Bobby continues to have feelings for Laura. However, how strong were those feelings if he was banging Shelly on the side? Jacoby did a masterful job of manipulating Bobby into crying I agree. My issue is the execution of that scene. He cries in record time and it seems unnatural to me. Granted, I've only seen that episode once and it could click for me on my next watch. Are other things going on with Bobby and seeing that photo was the last straw? Only time will tell. I think Bobby could be a big player here.
I think this is simply an extension of the themes we saw in the original series, which were that despite her actions, Laura had a visceral and profound effect on everyone around her, both in life and death. Bobby's scene may have been a tad melodramatic, but it didn't strike me as out of place.
I think I'm just playing the 'If were the director' game. Maybe I would have held off on the crying for a few beats.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
lotjx2
Roadhouse Member

Post by lotjx2 »

I am ok with product placement since Lynch made the Mercedes look evil. The Lincoln clock is how the car designers made it. I can't fault Lynch for wanting to use real things in his world and get upset the way he uses them. He didn't design the cars, so no need to bash him.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Jerry Horne wrote:I have no doubt Bobby continues to have feelings for Laura. However, how strong were those feelings if he was banging Shelly on the side?
I always felt Bobby sublimated his deep issues with Laura and his own deflowering/loss of innocence in his various escapades - drugs, schemes. I think the original show backed that up too, with Jacoby, etc. He got involved with Shelly to have another outlet, knowing on some level Laura had her own. Then he fell in love with Shelly, without fully realizing it (episode 8) and formed a healthier connection over time.

25 years later, Bobby probably has a much more acute sense of himself as a man and how Laura shaped him. He no longer has to hide or mask those emotions to be unearthed by something like a session with Jacoby.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Here Comes That Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by Here Comes That Bob »

Let's discuss the ordered hit on evil Coop... During the questioning Darya admits it was Jeffries who stood behind the hit. However afterwards they converse together and appear to be in touch for quite of time. I think its possible that evil Coop is collaborating with Jeffries's doppelganger, while real Jeffries is still trapped in the lodge. But this doesn't explain why Jeffries would want to kill him. Maybe someone else was trying to impersonate Jeffries, as Cooper seemed to be suspicious over who was on the line. At the end of the call, Jeffries says : " You're going back in tommorow and I will be with Bob again". That would suggest to me that it was indeed the Jeffries's doppelganger, as he knows about the time of the transitition and appears to be content with being with Bob.

Also what was the significance of the ace card, which Evil Coop showed to Darya ? It also appeared to have horns on it. The devilish one reference? Evil Coop says, that's what he wants. Can someone clear this up for me?
Dom834
Roadhouse Member

Post by Dom834 »

N. Needleman wrote:IIRC, Secret History's timeline suggests he booked it out of town as fast as humanly possible. As in, 24 hours or less. He sees Briggs, Briggs is onto him, heads for his listening post station to warn people; Bad Dale torches it and kills them, then flees Twin Peaks and the known world.

My suspicion is that early on, as episode 29 and the Missing Pieces suggest, the doppelgänger was barely able to function and pass as Dale Cooper. He only gained control and cold focus over time, alone.

Exactly.

Whether Evil Cooper killed Briggs in 1990 is for now debatable. "Secret History" spoke of protocols in place for the situation Briggs was in. It's not totally impossible that he burned down the station and faked his death. It's also not impossible that Evil Coop captured Briggs instead of killing him.

This has now added a new level of mystery to the Secret History. The whole idea was that in the weeks and months following Milford's death, Briggs put in order and annotated the dossier. Then, the theory goes that someone altered his work, mostly the end section.

We now have a very puzzling timeline... Briggs inherits Dougie's work when Dougie dies. That's a mere 11 days before Cooper came out of the Black Lodge, and now we learn it's when Briggs died... That's a ridiculously short amount of time for Briggs to do all his work on the dossier, not to mention that there's a whole section that mentions events that happened months or more after the now presumed death of Briggs.

Either the contributions of the "forger" are much more extensive than we assumed, or there's a third archivist as yet unidentified, or Briggs didn't die in the fire.
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

Did folks spot the blue rose on the table in the non-existent place whilst Coop is talking to Not-Ronette?

Apologies if I'm late to the party on that one....
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

ataxia wrote:I know this is sacrilegious, as I'm aware of Lynch's opinion on the matter, but when I saw these two shots I could not help but think of possible product placement.
IMG_2734.PNGIMG_2735.PNGI know the time (2:53) was important to show, but it seems like a different car or console without a blatant logo could have been used.

It just struck me as odd and not like anything I've seen in the original series. I'd love to hear your thoughts.
What's the alternative here? Creating fictional car brands? Even selecting a different console would be done for no other purpose than avoiding a cynical reaction from audience members who think it's product placement every time you see a real logo on screen. I think Lynch has a lot of other things on his mind.

Just because a brand name or logo is on screen doesn't mean it's product placement. The show Mad Men was full of real companies but there was never any product placement... Matt Weiner shot down every attempt to make any actual product placement deal. But yet I'd wager there was plenty of viewers who cynically assumed all those ads for real companies was product placement.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

mtwentz wrote:
Ross wrote:
mtwentz wrote:Is Dougie any sillier than Windom Earle playing flute in his PJs?
I think so yes. Not Dougie himself, but the reactions, or non-reactions, of the people around him are more absurd than anything in S2 to me. Is his wife also an idiot? Her husband can't dress himself, talk, or go to the bathroom on his own and she doesn't call a doctor? I also think some of the Lucy humor is more broad then her stuff from the original.
Just to play Devil's Advocate...

In the S2 opener, we had a room service waiter oblivious to the fact that Agent Cooper was shot, bleeding and possibly dying right in front of him. In Wild At Heart, we had the Sherilyn Fenn character focusing on finding a hairbrush while bruised and bleeding from a car accident and in need of immediate medical attention.

It's absurdist but there is a certain reality to it too- people sometimes react in unexpected ways- or don't react at all- under intense pressure or under life's ordinary pressures. I had a cousin who had a tumor the size of a grapefruit in his head, and was exhibiting very odd behavior for a long time, but no one thought to get him a check up until it was almost too late.
Exactly this. To respond to all of Lynch's work as though it should be realistic is more absurd than anything on screen. Just look at Eraserhead. The entirety of it is a heightened depiction of humans interacting, calling attention to our often ridiculous interactions and societal mores. It's how Lynch sees the world. Ditto Watts' character and the way she regards her husband. It's clearly meant as absurd comedy, not realism.
firefly2193
Roadhouse Member

Post by firefly2193 »

Trying to pin point who it really was Evil Coop was talking to on the phone is proving a complete mystery! The line 'I will be with Bob Again' could suggest someone who's been inhabited by Bob, but then only Leland could be possible, and that doesn't make much sense. Could it be an evil Mike/Gerard? If Coop was working with the 'good' Jeffries it could be a evil Jeffries doppelgänger.

This + the horned face image that Evil Coop is searching for is the biggest mystery so far for me.
mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Post by mlsstwrt »

BEARisonFord wrote:
I think the Secret Diary of Laura Palmer is key in understanding the Laura/Bobby relationship. He loved her. Cooper was wrong when he said to Bobby, 'You didn't really love her anyway'. He did love her but Laura pushed him away because she felt that she needed to be the strong Laura who doesn't need anybody, who isn't vulnerable and therefore who becomes less appealing and vulnerable to Bob. Laura was cheating on Bobby way before he started banging Shelly. Laura hurt him time and again out of some misguided desire to protect him (and herself). In FWWM you can see how hurt Bobby is when he's with Laura in his parents' basement and says something like, 'You don't want me, you just want the blow.'

I love the scene in the Roadhouse in Episode 14 when Bobby kind of breaks down. It's like suddenly the grief hits him hard.
thedougpa
RR Diner Member

Post by thedougpa »

Am I the only one that thought the image on the playing card was an ant's head?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rocketsan22
RR Diner Member

Post by rocketsan22 »

ataxia wrote:I know this is sacrilegious, as I'm aware of Lynch's opinion on the matter, but when I saw these two shots I could not help but think of possible product placement.
IMG_2734.PNGIMG_2735.PNGI know the time (2:53) was important to show, but it seems like a different car or console without a blatant logo could have been used.

It just struck me as odd and not like anything I've seen in the original series. I'd love to hear your thoughts.
I had Matthew McConaughey voice overs cued up...
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

thedougpa wrote:Am I the only one that thought the image on the playing card was an ant's head
I did as well. Freaked me the fuck out.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Here Comes That Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by Here Comes That Bob »

firefly2193 wrote:Trying to pin point who it really was Evil Coop was talking to on the phone is proving a complete mystery! The line 'I will be with Bob Again' could suggest someone who's been inhabited by Bob, but then only Leland could be possible, and that doesn't make much sense. Could it be an evil Mike/Gerard? If Coop was working with the 'good' Jeffries it could be a evil Jeffries doppelgänger.

This + the horned face image that Evil Coop is searching for is the biggest mystery so far for me.
I speculated on the same matter few posts ahead of you. I think the reasoning of whoever wants to destroy evil Coop is another conflict about garmonbozia.