Parts 3 & 4 - Call for help & ...brings back some memories (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

thefifthlizard
Roadhouse Member

Re: Parts 3 + 4 (Spoilers)

Post by thefifthlizard »

map66 wrote:Something about the kid especially seemed very directly alternate Sonny Jim.
I thought back to the kid first time I saw Sonny. Then again, that might be because there so few kids in these episodes
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

Could the thing that's missing be something we've already seen? Namely Cooper's Great Northern key. Would the doppelganger have gotten a replicated version of the key when he come out of the lodge? I suppose he might have come out with a key which is how Truman & Doc Hayward got him back into his room.

Maybe this will be the way to get the Great Northern back into the storyline. They could have a record of Cooper never returning his key. I suppose Hawk & co. could have just assumed he lost it while he was in the lodge though.
Taperecorder
Roadhouse Member

Post by Taperecorder »

Normonaut wrote:I don't think I want to live in a world where people can seriously say "Madeline Zima's butt brought nothing to the show at all" :D
Cool. Glad to know.
Last edited by Taperecorder on Tue May 23, 2017 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
As above, so below.
-
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

I've only watched the episodes once so far, but did Cooper disappear never to be heard from by anyone until the car accident? Meaning no one has been aware of, or connected Cooper to any past crimes? I guess that would negate theories that they were hiding Annie from Cooper?
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Taperecorder
Roadhouse Member

Post by Taperecorder »

Soolsma wrote:I have a far out theory- that the entity is actually the spirit of Annie Blackburn, who may have been sexually frustrated and repressed from her time in the convent.
Oooooh. This is interesting!
-
As above, so below.
-
Taperecorder
Roadhouse Member

Post by Taperecorder »

LostInTheMovies wrote:The opening of Part 3 is one of my favorite Lynch things I've ever seen, in any of his works feature or short. I'd have to say it's my favorite part of The Return so far.
I agree! So many beautiful moments.
-
As above, so below.
-
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

thefifthlizard wrote:
map66 wrote:Something about the kid especially seemed very directly alternate Sonny Jim.
I thought back to the kid first time I saw Sonny. Then again, that might be because there so few kids in these episodes
I've often thought about the fact that, despite having a very childlike wonder at the universe (and starting his career in earnest with The Alphabet and The Grandmother, films starring children), DKL rarely focuses much on actual kids. We can tally the children in DKL's work: The kid who sells Henry's head to the pencil factory (oh, and the Baby of course) in Eraserhead, Bytes's messenger boy in The Elephant Man, Alia in Dune, the child who finds Mr. Beaumont after his heart attack in Blue Velvet, Pace in Wild at Heart, Pierre Tremond (and, in non-DKL-directed episodes, Little Nicky Needleman) in TP, "Smithy's son" at the end of INLAND EMPIRE. I'm sure I'm leaving out some minor ones (the kid Rose sees playing near the sprinkler in The Straight Story) and maybe some more major ones as well. But this list shows that kids, after DKL's strictly-arthouse short film period, have acted more as symbols/talismans/plot devices than characters to be explored. And thus far Sonny Jim is consistent with that. Wonder if that will change at all. (Also - are we taking it that Sonny Jim is actually the son of Cooper - or at least the "Dougie" form of him?)

The kid in the drug addict mom's house reminded me of the snotty-faced kid watching the Knife Show in the classic Breaking Bad episode "Peekaboo" (and we all know DKL loves BB).
Taperecorder wrote:
LostInTheMovies wrote:The opening of Part 3 is one of my favorite Lynch things I've ever seen, in any of his works feature or short. I'd have to say it's my favorite part of The Return so far.
I agree! So many beautiful moments.
Indeed.I didn't think anything would ever top Episode 29, but this might be love.
Agent327
Roadhouse Member

Post by Agent327 »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:Anyone wonder if Bob might end up being that evil entity that attacked the young couple from the box?

Hm...
Sure....and in that case I wonder where that attack is on the timeline. Maybe it will be revealed down the road....
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Ross wrote:I've only watched the episodes once so far, but did Cooper disappear never to be heard from by anyone until the car accident? Meaning no one has been aware of, or connected Cooper to any past crimes? I guess that would negate theories that they were hiding Annie from Cooper?
I believe that is the case. I just started my second watch though, so someone else may have a better take.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Not sure if this is super-obvious, but I haven't seen it mentioned. The "click" that sounded in all the promos each time a new shot came up was Laura snapping her fingers in reverse from Episode 29, right? I just decided to rewatch the first few minutes of Part 1 before bed, and the sound is unmistakable to my ear.
StrangerDanger
RR Diner Member

Post by StrangerDanger »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Not sure if this is super-obvious, but I haven't seen it mentioned. The "click" that sounded in all the promos each time a new shot came up was Laura snapping her fingers in reverse from Episode 29, right? I just decided to rewatch the first few minutes of Part 1 before bed, and the sound is unmistakable to my ear.
Can you sample it via Audacity and then reverse the waveform to check? If you cba, n/m (l cba either).
leeeET's ROCK!
[ I've permanently left the forum ... Dugpa is a dodgy name, plus l'm too busy. Keep the :?: :idea: ]
Bloodflood
Roadhouse Member

Post by Bloodflood »

That blind lady scene reminded me so much of Lynch's early short movies. I loved it. Also my favorite scene so far. The editing is amazing and so creative.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

StrangerDanger wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:Not sure if this is super-obvious, but I haven't seen it mentioned. The "click" that sounded in all the promos each time a new shot came up was Laura snapping her fingers in reverse from Episode 29, right? I just decided to rewatch the first few minutes of Part 1 before bed, and the sound is unmistakable to my ear.
Can you sample it via Audacity and then reverse the waveform for me?
I'm not nearly tech-saavy enough! But to clarify: what I meant is, it's the exact audio used in Episode 29 when Laura snaps her fingers. I meant "reversed" in the sense that the Episode 29 Red Room audio is all reversed, and I assume her finger-snap was as well. I believe the promo "clicking" sound is identical to Laura snapping in Episode 29 / Part 1. Not sure what to make of it tho.
StrangerDanger
RR Diner Member

Post by StrangerDanger »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I'm not nearly tech-saavy enough! But to clarify: what I meant is, it's the exact audio used in Episode 29 when Laura snaps her fingers. I meant "reversed" in the sense that the Episode 29 Red Room audio is all reversed, and I assume her finger-snap was as well. I believe the promo "clicking" sound is identical to Laura snapping in Episode 29 / Part 1. Not sure what to make of it tho.
OK ... for your information, l vaguely recall recording "What U Hear" audio on my PC via the free audio editor Audacity. I think l had to select the soundcard thru which the source audio was playing, then press the record button in the Audacity GUI. You should see the VU meter (sound level monitor) in Audacity bouncing around when you've selected the correct sound input in Audacity.

I think it is gonna become a prominent analytical tool for Series 3, l may myself dabble if l have time, but l know one other guy on this forum was doing it, he connected an abstract sound in Series 3 to a gambling machine lever pull also in Series 3, and he displayed the waveforms of each, looks like he was using Audacity. I'll leave it there, peace.
leeeET's ROCK!
[ I've permanently left the forum ... Dugpa is a dodgy name, plus l'm too busy. Keep the :?: :idea: ]
speedbeatz
Roadhouse Member

Post by speedbeatz »

Here Comes That Bob wrote:Let's discuss the ordered hit on evil Coop... During the questioning Darya admits it was Jeffries who stood behind the hit. However afterwards they converse together and appear to be in touch for quite of time. I think its possible that evil Coop is collaborating with Jeffries's doppelganger, while real Jeffries is still trapped in the lodge. But this doesn't explain why Jeffries would want to kill him. Maybe someone else was trying to impersonate Jeffries, as Cooper seemed to be suspicious over who was on the line. At the end of the call, Jeffries says : " You're going back in tommorow and I will be with Bob again". That would suggest to me that it was indeed the Jeffries's doppelganger, as he knows about the time of the transitition and appears to be content with being with Bob.

Also what was the significance of the ace card, which Evil Coop showed to Darya ? It also appeared to have horns on it. The devilish one reference? Evil Coop says, that's what he wants. Can someone clear this up for me?
It seemed to be that Jeffries (or whoever) specifically paid Ray and Daria to kill Evil Coop if he didn't get taken back into the lodge as expected - "let's wait and see what happens tomorrow" etc.
I wonder what would have happened if Evil Coop had been killed before his scheduled return to the lodge? No body for Cooper to go back to, leaving him trapped in the lodge forever?

Also, I've seen a few people say something about the subtitle "253" from the arm not matching the voice, but I'm fairly positive it's just a trick of the speech reversal effects, so it's like "two five shree" rather than "two five seven" or anything else.