Parts 3 & 4 - Call for help & ...brings back some memories (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

mtwentz
Lodge Member

Re: Parts 3 + 4 (Spoilers)

Post by mtwentz »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:A couple folks said negative things about Chrysta Bell, and I've been wanting to mention that she's my favorite new character. As Agent Tamara Preston, she's fun, spunky, and gorgeous. Hope she plays a larger role going forward.
If we did a Chrysta Bell poll, I am afraid she would get very low ratings. But the jury is still out- maybe her character will develop more as the series unfolds.

Given that she was the compiler of the dossier in Frost's book, we were expecting an FBI agent who was actually hired for her investigative abilities. Maybe a female version of Cooper. That's not what we are getting so far.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

Sorry if someone has already mentioned this, but I think the doors marked 3 and 15 might be gateways to alternate universes. 3 and 15 together are 315 - Cooper's room number at the Great Northern. Maybe it's symbolic that the reality of Twin Peaks as we know it has been split into two alternate realities and Cooper has been tricked into entering the wrong one. I wonder if we will start seeing alternate versions of Twin Peaks and its characters as the season progresses.
Here Comes That Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by Here Comes That Bob »

I cannot say the same. To me Chrysta Bell had by far the worst acting performance so far, alongside the actress who played Phyllis.

Suprisingly I had a big change of heart with Wally Brando scene. After initially hating it, I thought it was histerical on a rewatch.

"My dharma is the road. Your dharma..."
Dom834
Roadhouse Member

Post by Dom834 »

ThumbsUp wrote:There are quite a few references to the Secret History of Twin Peaks: Tamara Preston, the meeting between Evil Coop/Briggs, the evil creature in the box (looked like an alien to me). I wasn't expecting that, especially after Lynch told GQ that more or less the book wasn't canon.
That was just Lynch's way of saying he wasn't involved with the book, didn't know what was in it and sure didn't want to be asked questions about it... Anyone who thinks Lynch intended by this to dismiss Mark's work as non important or not canonical has forgotten David is generally nice and it would be out of character for him to attack Mark publicly.. about a project he said "by all means, do it" when Mark brought it up with him.

Basically, Lynch's version of Mark's "You'd have to ask David" whenever someone asks him about something Lynch put in or twisted while filming.

David and Mark are the co-creators, not uber fans of Twin Peaks geeking about every little detail of it. David was immersed in the editing of 18 hours of film, I'm not surprised in the least he didn't read Mark's book, nor had much interest for it. A whole lot of stuff in it would related to ideas and concepts they've bandied around while working on the story. A lot would be expansion by Mark on his ideas or David's (like it's the case for the Ring). Not much to interest Lynch in the book.

As for "canon", neither Mark nor David are big fans of the concept of canon, and anyway, a book written by one of the two creators is forcibly "canonical".
Last edited by Dom834 on Wed May 24, 2017 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

I'm actually shocked that people find the Wally Brando scene embarassing. Not funny, I can understand it but embarassing? Comparing it with Little Nicky? Really?
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Sidgwick
Roadhouse Member

Post by Sidgwick »

Watching that NUTS opener to part 3, I’m reminded of that horrendous article some guy penned fawning over Legion, in which he couldn’t believe Lynch was capable of approaching its weirdness. Not that we should reduce Peaks to something so stupid, but what a buffoon he seems now. Even more so than he did at the time.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Here Comes That Bob wrote:I cannot say the same. To me Chrysta Bell had by far the worst acting performance so far, alongside the actress who played Phyllis.

Suprisingly I had a big change of heart with Wally Brando scene. After initially hating it, I thought it was histerical on a rewatch.

"My dharma is the road. Your dharma..."
I am glad I am not the only one who noticed Phyllis. But I did wonder if that was how Lynch wanted her to be played and if it was intentionally 'bad acting'.
Last edited by mtwentz on Wed May 24, 2017 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Sidgwick wrote:Watching that NUTS opener to part 3, I’m reminded of that horrendous article some guy penned fawning over Legion, in which he couldn’t believe Lynch was capable of approaching its weirdness. Not that we should reduce Peaks to something so stupid, but what a buffoon he seems now. Even more so than he did at the time.
Speaking of, has anyone checked if said buffoon gave out his review yet?
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: RE: Re: Parts 3 + 4 (Spoilers)

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

JohnGSmoke wrote:
Taperecorder wrote:
And Chrysta Bell? What a horrible trainwreck. I was so looking forward to the Tamara Preston character after reading the TSHOTP. But Bell is not only ruining that character but her acting is so fucking bad that she is taking me (us) out of the show. It's like watching two of my favourite characters acting alongside a blow up doll. Couldn't they have cast Naomi Watts in this role?
Lol, my same thoughts as well. It's like reliving the Evelyn and James scenes.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Hmm, different strokes. I found her obnoxiously incompetent in the book (she does zero detective work and gets spoon-fed the one answer she was supposed to find, after wasting time writing copious pointless notes that mostly amount to name-dropping Mark's favorite movies). The ditzy delivery on the audiobook made it even worse, and I was really hoping not to see the character in the Return.

So far, while I dislike the objectification of the character by her bosses, I find Bell's performance fine -- certainly a vast improvement over the audiobook. Hope she gets a chance to shine soon.

Btw, in TSHoTP, Tamara apparently hasn't heard of Cooper or the Palmer investigation until August 2016; the show was done shooting by that point. So if we get any firm dates on the show, we're likely to end up with even more contradictions.
Leebob
Roadhouse Member

Post by Leebob »

SatisfactionJackson wrote:No E.T. Associations on here?

Or did I miss them?

“HOME”
I think the repeated references to "Home" are likely a reference to the Wizard of Oz ("There's no place like home"). This is in line with a theory posted by others earlier in this forum (I cannot take credit for the theory, but think it may very well be on the nose) that Coopers journey back from the Lodge is a retelling of Dorothy's journey. The Wiz of Oz is supposedly a favorite of Lynch's and has influenced some of his other works ("Wild at Heart"). Everytime DougieCooper said the word "home" I was half expecting him to follow up with "...there's no place like home", but this would have been a bit too obvious.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Leebob wrote:
SatisfactionJackson wrote:No E.T. Associations on here?

Or did I miss them?

“HOME”
I think the repeated references to "Home" are likely a reference to the Wizard of Oz ("There's no place like home"). This is in line with a theory posted by others earlier in this forum (I cannot take credit for the theory, but think it may very well be on the nose) that Coopers journey back from the Lodge is a retelling of Dorothy's journey. The Wiz of Oz is supposedly a favorite of Lynch's and has influenced some of his other works ("Wild at Heart"). Everytime DougieCooper said the word "home" I was half expecting him to follow up with "...there's no place like home", but this would have been a bit too obvious.
I assume this is obvious, but can't recall anyone mentioning it. In TMP, MfAP tells Coop, "You have nowhere to go...but...HOME!!!"
Leebob
Roadhouse Member

Post by Leebob »

silvo wrote:Also, why the shoes left behind? Might be a proof that the spirits succeed to trick Cooper?
Possibly to facilitate another Wizard of Oz reference. The real Dougie= the first wicked witch. When Copper enters Oz (i.e Dougie's world) he kills the first "wicked witch" (via the transfer process rather than landing a house on him) and before he begins his journey home, he puts on the witches ruby slippers (in this case Dougie's brown shoes in place of his lost black shoes.).

Before copper can complete his journey home, he is tasked with killing the Wicked Witch of the West (The Evil Dopple-Cooper).
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

The actress who played Phyllis was great - i thought she was hitting all the beats exactly like she was supposed to. I loved the scene between her and Lillard in each other's faces spewing their venom- I was laughing so hard.

I get the Preston character - i don't have a problem with the Tammy character in theory and on page. Just on execution... so far. Like in the high school play mode in don't move your hands so much, your movements are jerky, stand still. It takes an actor in complete control of their instrument to play the nuances and style of Tamara that I feel was supposed to be the intent. So far the only moment that has worked for me is her sickly arm wave to the driver while being car sick.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Audrey Horne wrote:The actress who played Phyllis was great - i thought she was hitting all the beats exactly like she was supposed to. I loved the scene between her and Lillard in each other's faces spewing their venom- I was laughing so hard.
Laughing? Omg. I was in complete (!) shock there. She was good. I got a bit of a Catherine Martell at her bitchiest vibe when she said ''Life in prison Bill!''. But I also really have to compliment Mathew Lillard as Bill Hastings here. To see him realize that the dream might have been more real than he suspected (''oh my god, OH MY GOD'') was top-notch acting right there.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Jude
Roadhouse Member

Post by Jude »

Finally watched the 4th episode yesterday. I was happily surprised. It was wonderful to see even more scenes that happened in the town of Twin Peaks. You get that warm feeling everytime when for example Truman and Bobby have scenes. It is fantastic to see how well Robert Forster fits in to Twin Peaks, he instantly became one of my favorite characters in the series. I also loved Michael Cera's Wally Brando, I truly hope that we'll see that character more often in the series. There's something weird and great how Wally speaks and behaves, he has an warm aura.

Oh, and that scene when Bobby sees the picture of Laura... Magical. That is when I knew that this season can be a wonderful experience, it is no wonder why Showtime decided to release episodes 3 and 4 beforehand.

IF we get more and more scenes happening in the town of Twin Peaks (which I strongly believe) in the upcoming episodes, this will be a beautiful, beautiful journey.