Parts 3 & 4 - Call for help & ...brings back some memories (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Re: Parts 3 + 4 (SPOILERS)

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

Jerry Horne wrote:Damn there are some great characters who haven't appeared yet. Gimme some Carl Rodd. It's like they are giving us just enough scenes in Twin Peaks so people don't get pissed. So I'm thinking a lot of roads lead to Twin Peaks and perhaps that is when the Badalamenti music returns in full force.

I think this whole thing will unfold in 3 acts. And one of these acts will be focused on the town of Twin Peaks . We will get lots of Peaks, it's people, and the music.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Re: Parts 3 + 4 (Spoilers)

Post by krishnanspace »

mtwentz wrote:
krishnanspace wrote:One thing I didnt like was the bad screen replacement when Cooper is using the Laptop.I can do better screen replacements in After Effects.
I did not notice that but someone mentioned it on Facebook as well. Oh well, they can't all be gems :-).
Apart from the Cgi, I liked all the makeup effects
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Platypus2000 wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:Damn there are some great characters who haven't appeared yet. Gimme some Carl Rodd. It's like they are giving us just enough scenes in Twin Peaks so people don't get pissed. So I'm thinking a lot of roads lead to Twin Peaks and perhaps that is when the Badalamenti music returns in full force.

I think this whole thing will unfold in 3 acts. And one of these acts will be focused on the town of Twin Peaks . We will get lots of Peaks, it's people, and the music.
I think when Cooper will enter Twin Peaks, the old music will return, maybe the opening credits will have the iconic shot of the population board, Roadhouse will have Julie cruise etc
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

"HellOOOooOOOooOO" will go down as iconic TP.
Agent327
Roadhouse Member

Post by Agent327 »

AgentEcho wrote:The series needs to be free to set a tone that's different than the original series and FWWM. Just as FWWM had to be free to set a tone different from the original series and season 2 had to be free to set a tone that was different than season 1
I will add that even if Lynch tried with all of his might to recreate the tone and feel of the original, it would have been virtually impossible for him. There are many factors involved, including coincidences, timing and luck. So it doesn't have to be a conscious effort. A new series done in a different time, shot differently, with 25 years of baggage, personal evolution, unconscious change of taste etc.....it's unavoidable.
AgentEcho wrote:Every step of the way a segment of fans wasn't happy with the tone shifts. Granted it hasn't always been good, but in many cases the dissent has quieted over the years.
That is simply the case with change in general.
If a band changes it's style of music, some of their fans wont be happy because part of what they loved was the band doing that particular style of music. And their voices of dissent will naturally be loudest at first, and will quiet down as some of them will jump ship and stop caring much after that, and others will find some way to appreciate it later.

In other words, this is not unique to the world of TP or Lynch, but a general phenomenon. What actually matters is argumentation. Why is it good, why is it bad....what do people prioritize in a show etc.
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

Could Jacoby be planning an excavation?

Or perhaps he's just an artist now...
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
dropkick23
Roadhouse Member

Post by dropkick23 »

When Dave tells George that Phyllis has had a really rough day, he believes, it seems connected to what Naomi Watts says later about her horrible day that turned wonderful when Dougie brought in the back of cash.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:

Many are saying that's the case but I have my doubts. Maybe when Cooper realizes who he is and returns to Twin Peaks then we'll get the music but I have my doubts...

As far as characters whom we haven't seen yet from the original

-Norma
-Big Ed
- Nadine
- Mike
- Carl Rodd
- Dr. Hayward
- Audrey

Am I forgetting anyone?

Also I really hope we get more of the Hornes. I feel kind of duped with them.
Betty
Heidi
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Jerry Horne wrote:
WhiteLodge90 wrote:

Many are saying that's the case but I have my doubts. Maybe when Cooper realizes who he is and returns to Twin Peaks then we'll get the music but I have my doubts...

As far as characters whom we haven't seen yet from the original

-Norma
-Big Ed
- Nadine
- Mike
- Carl Rodd
- Dr. Hayward
- Audrey

Am I forgetting anyone?

Betty
Heidi
Toad
Bobby's Mom
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Betty Briggs is Bobby's Mom :)
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Fall_of_Sophia
Roadhouse Member

Post by Fall_of_Sophia »

ThumbsUp wrote:"HellOOOooOOOooOO" will go down as iconic TP.

References INLAND EMPIRE.
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

Also:

Louie
Gersten Hayward
The jumping man

Though those actors could be playing different roles.
Dordogne

Post by Dordogne »

I'm really surprised how many Twin Peaks fans on a Twin Peaks community board seem to misunderstand key concepts of Lynch and his vision for Twin Peaks. Just a few rants I would like to share.

1. Abstract art doesn't have an "answer" that you are supposed to "get" its about something visual that is independent of traditional meaning. It is supposed to allow interpretation which is independent for every viewer. I love the many of the theories people come up with but I think its one of the least interesting parts of Twin Peaks. The plot in a conventional sense.

2. The acting is supposed to be the opposite of "naturalistic" which is why they make fun of Brando who was the main proponent of the "method" acting that told actors to use real things that happened in their life to make their acting more realistic. The acting in Lynch films is stylized to be parody of soap operas but also surrealistic and overly dramatic, while at the same time mundane, silly, heightened, bizarre. This is a conscious choice to make the acting match the dreamlike qualities of the subject matter. But, still you see posts that complain about the acting being silly or unrealistic by supposed Lynch fans!

3. Then, you get stupid comments like "The rhythm is just so off." The pace in Lynch movies is one of the biggest tools in his toolbox. The idea is, like someone else said on this board, to bring a heighten focus on the uncanny. The pace allows the viewer to focus on the situation as a whole. The perfect example of this would be 2001, or really most things by Kubrick. If you edit something like a TV commercial, it just becomes background noise. The pace for Lynch is key to make the situations meaningful, uncanny, and ironic.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:
"Duped" would be an understatement in my case. That Horne brothers scene has to be a contender for the most awful scene in the whole of Twin Peaks. It felt like you're witnessing two gimps in a stage play. And people (including me) thought some late S 2 stuff was bad...
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I loved that Horne brothers scene. They didn't miss a beat.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.