Parts 3 & 4 - Call for help & ...brings back some memories (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

wxray
RR Diner Member

Re: Parts 3 + 4 (SPOILERS)

Post by wxray »

mujubuju wrote:Haven't seen it mentioned here, but is it possible the story will show Donna was killed in James' motorcycle accident, and that's why he's "quiet" now?
Maybe, but we know this much: "He's always been cool."

Notice also that the characters say, multiple times, "Something's Wrong." So although James has always been cool, and he's quiet NOW (how about before?), I wouldn't bank what we see played out as reality. I have a vibe this is a manufactured reality, whether Donna is dead, alive or a Realtor in Oregon.
frompureair
Roadhouse Member

Post by frompureair »

When coop first lands on the box in NY he is making the same sour face as the blue rose girl from FWWM...
Normonaut
Roadhouse Member

Post by Normonaut »

Has anyone analysed the sounds Cooper and Naido(?) make in the purple room? It sounds like their speech is sped up by A LOT, similar to the slot machine/gramophone. Maybe there's something there.

One unrelated thing I noticed on my last viewing:
The prison BadCoop downloaded the schematics for was to the east of his location, but Tammy says he was driving WEST when he had the accident.
So, either:
1. He wasn't going to it.
2. The driving scene doesn't take place immediately after the motel scenes. (a lot of his scenes seem to be out of order)
3. The prison he's in now is not the same as the one he downloaded from. (So it wasn't planned)
Agent Cooper. Listen to the sounds.
It is in our house now. It all can not be said aloud now.
Remember 4 - 3 - 0
Richard and Linda. Two birds with one stone.
You are far away.
Cooperscoffeecup
RR Diner Member

Post by Cooperscoffeecup »

Mairzy wrote:
krishnanspace wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:
The demon Retcon. :)
People waited 26 years to know the answer
Maybe when Norma has a scene we will find out more. They were related right?
I was thinking exactly the same thing. Norma may just mention something in conversation that provides an answer to a very long cliffhanger.
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

Anyone else notice the picture of Kafka in Cole's office?

:D
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
djsunyc
RR Diner Member

Post by djsunyc »

i think michael cera's scene may go down as one of the greatest scenes i've ever watched. the way he said "cau-ca-si-ans" had me on the floor.
djsunyc
RR Diner Member

Post by djsunyc »

dougiecoop definitely feels like a dream sequence to me. especially with the way naomi watts acted so intentionally bad.
JordinGoff
Roadhouse Member

Post by JordinGoff »

Soolsma wrote:I can't imagine any TP fan would think of something else than an owl when first seeing that card.
I saw a black dog, as in "The black dog runs at night".
Robot Butler
RR Diner Member

Post by Robot Butler »

Has anybody speculated that the headless John Doe could be Major Briggs yet? (sorry, can't read every post)
Mallard
RR Diner Member

Post by Mallard »

djsunyc wrote:dougiecoop definitely feels like a dream sequence to me. especially with the way naomi watts acted so intentionally bad.
Yeah, and in the normal course of reality, there's no way she wouldn't have taken him to a hospital within minutes of trying to speak with him.
Welcome...to the third...place.
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

I think Watts' acting is just her and Lynch's interpretation of how a typical bourgeois suburbanite acts. And since I know more than a few, it seems spot on.

EDIT: It's not a dream sequence. Just Lynch's absurdist (not realist) take on a particular culture.

Cooper and Bad Coop are both part of the same time period. That's why Mike says one of them has to die; they're sharing the same space.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Robot Butler wrote:Has anybody speculated that the headless John Doe could be Major Briggs yet? (sorry, can't read every post)
Yep, has been discussed! Consensus seems to be it's unlikely due to the intervening time/decomposition, but who the hell knows in Lynchland?

I love dark, but I also love Garland (and Coop of course, and their friendship). That would be a really brutal reveal for me.
Guy Quenneville
Roadhouse Member

Post by Guy Quenneville »

Apologize if this has been posted already; I've read most but not all of the thread.

Film Score Reject's episode recapper, H. Perry Horton, has the most interesting theory I've heard about the nature of the source of information Bad Cooper is seeking:

this info he’s seeking, it might be in the possession of Ben Horne; when Coop asks one of his cohorts for an update, the fella mentions he’s got an in with the source’s new secretary. Earlier in the episode we met Ben Horne’s new secretary, Beverly, played by Ashley Judd; given the actress’ star quality and the fact that otherwise the Horne scene has no real purpose other than updating characters, expect Bev to be more than just a secretary, kind of like Jones was to Thomas Eckhardt in the original series.

From: https://filmschoolrejects.com/biggest-s ... nt-return/
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

For those of you just coming to this thread for the first time...

"HellllloooOoooooo"
The Brown Lodge
RR Diner Member

Post by The Brown Lodge »

this info he’s seeking, it might be in the possession of Ben Horne; when Coop asks one of his cohorts for an update, the fella mentions he’s got an in with the source’s new secretary. Earlier in the episode we met Ben Horne’s new secretary, Beverly, played by Ashley Judd; given the actress’ star quality and the fact that otherwise the Horne scene has no real purpose other than updating characters, expect Bev to be more than just a secretary, kind of like Jones was to Thomas Eckhardt in the original series.
The secretary is called Betty, I think. Ben's secretary was called Beverley.