Parts 3 & 4 - Call for help & ...brings back some memories (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Parts 3 & 4 - Call for help & ...brings back some memories (SPOILERS)

Post by Jerry Horne »

TWIN PEAKS. THE RETURN.

Call for help.
...brings back some memories.

Sunday, May 21st, 2017. (Streaming)
Sunday, May 28th, 2017. (Showtime Network)

For active discussion of Parts Three & Four. Spoilers are naturally permitted.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 2.56.38 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 2.56.38 AM.png (710.72 KiB) Viewed 28057 times
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Re: Parts 3 + 4 (Spoilers)

Post by Esselgee »

Good to see Major Briggs in some form. Guess he knows about the "blue rose?"

Did David Lynch just discover the Video Toaster or something?

Not sure I got what was going on with "Dougie".

Seeing "out of it" Cooper was not enjoyable.

So I guess the Roadhouse is like the Peach Pit After Dark on 90210...we get to see a new band play every week.

About to start part 4 now...
Chester Desmond
Roadhouse Member

Post by Chester Desmond »

What a car wreck.

I was hoping as it went on it would firm up and materialize. It just keeps getting worse and worse.

Bell can't act. Her facial movements are distracting. Does she have mild Tourette's?

I did better graffics on my Amiga back in 1990.

The humor is humorless and sound design is bare, this remake is way too late, DL is clearly way past his prime... it's so sad.

The rhythm is just so off.
Hang loose, Houlies
Chester Desmond
Roadhouse Member

Esselgee wrote:Good to see Major Briggs in some form. Guess he knows about the "blue rose?"

Did David Lynch just discover the Video Toaster or something?

Not sure I got what was going on with "Dougie".

Seeing "out of it" Cooper was not enjoyable.

So I guess the Roadhouse is like the Peach Pit After Dark on 90210...we get to see a new band play every week.

About to start part 4 now...
True.

Every word.

And that is the sad part.
Hang loose, Houlies
Calderon
Roadhouse Member

Post by Calderon »

Wow. Episode 3 is completely off the rails. Either Lynch has gotten insane or this turns out to be the greatest thing ever to happen on tv.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

You guys are having a different experience than me.

Part 3 was even better than Parts 1 and 2 IMHO.

On to part 4!
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

OMG, all the speculation about who Michael Cera was playing was spot on.
fearltd
Roadhouse Member

Post by fearltd »

The scene where Bobby sees Laura's picture and Laura Palmer's Theme swells up is the first time the series felt like "Twin Peaks" to me.
Chester Desmond
Roadhouse Member

Cera is good. The natural evolution of a Book House Boy LOL, a pastiche of the 90s Twin Peaks, taking the piss out of it. LOVE IT.

Robert Forster is good.

Dana did real well.

The Sheriff's Department scene, is by far, the best so far. Too bad the entire show couldn't be that good.

It seems the general rule is: if you have acted for David Lynch before, the performance is okay to great. if not, it's gonna be bad.

You can tell Micheal Anderson Ian missed, they didn't need CGI for the red room
Hang loose, Houlies
Chester Desmond
Roadhouse Member

fearltd wrote:The scene where Bobby sees Laura's picture and Laura Palmer's Theme swells up is the first time the series felt like "Twin Peaks" to me.
Me too, one and only so far
Hang loose, Houlies
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

Maybe this should have been done on ABC again. What did David Lynch say about the second season?

So far Michael Horse and Dana Ashbrook have been the stand outs for me. The scenes at the sheriff's office have been the best stuff so far.

So Hawk found Glastoberry Grove (was that in pts. 1 & 2?) and then nothing after that?

I'm guessing that was the only scene we'll get with Denise. Not sure what the point of it was.

Sick of Dougie already. Is he normally a man child when he's around his wife?
adl345
RR Diner Member

Post by adl345 »

That Michael Cera scene was something else. I can't decide if it was a brilliant piece of sustained Tim-And-Eric style anti-comedy or just utterly terrible. I'm leaning toward terrible at the moment, but it also feels like the sort of thing that might win me over several years from now.

The one recurring thing I'm noticing so far is just how many dialogue scenes there are with extended silences and extra beats between individual lines. It has to be a deliberate choice.
sylviecerise
Roadhouse Member

Post by sylviecerise »

fearltd wrote:The scene where Bobby sees Laura's picture and Laura Palmer's Theme swells up is the first time the series felt like "Twin Peaks" to me.
That whole scene in the Sheriff's office was complete Peaks. And oh Bobby. It was the same facial expressions he made when crying in Jacoby's office. He's trying to make up for his youth of selling drugs in high school, bless him.

The first half of EP3 was nuts and kind of off the rails (is that supposed to be Judy???), but that scene and EP4 brought it home for me.
happyrat98

Post by happyrat98 »

I just want to tell everyone that halfway through episode 3 I felt like crying. I was so incredibly disappointed and felt like this was the worst trainwreck ever. Episodes 1 and 2 were good but the second Dougie happened I wanted to puke.

But then I read a theory, watched episode 4, and suddenly I think I'm in love.

The doppelganger stated that he had a plan to avoid the lodge. Dougie Jones is a second doppelganger created by the first doppelganger. Instead of the doppelganger, Dougie ends up going back to the lodge. The doppelganger created Dougie Jones, who presumably was leading an actual life, in order to avoid returning to the lodge. Mike tells Dougie that he is created for a purpose that has failed. Dougie then ceases to exist and the real Dale returns to reality, but he is not whole because the real doppelganger still exists. Hence, Mike tells Cooper that one of them must die and that he had been tricked.

Then we move into the FBI getting involved and I think everything is back on track story wise. Cooper still isn't back from the lodge because the doppelganger pulled some twisted lodge shenanigans to stay in the real world. Clearly it will be a while before this is resolved and Cooper is back as we knew him... and I'm okay with that.

Also, here is a prediction: Audrey Horne is the secret billionaire funding the glass box project.
Calderon
Roadhouse Member

Post by Calderon »

adl345 wrote:That Michael Cera scene was something else. I can't decide if it was a brilliant piece of sustained Tim-And-Eric style anti-comedy or just utterly terrible. I'm leaning toward terrible at the moment, but it also feels like the sort of thing that might win me over several years from now.

The one recurring thing I'm noticing so far is just how many dialogue scenes there are with extended silences and extra beats between individual lines. It has to be a deliberate choice.
I think so, too. Lynch is messing with our expectations. This has to be intentional. And oh my. I could watch Robert Forster all day long. Amazing actor.