Parts 3 & 4 - Call for help & ...brings back some memories (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Re: Parts 3 + 4 (Spoilers)

Post by Jasper »

nick1218 wrote:
Pinky wrote:my god, MacLachlan's delivery in the prison scene was bloody terrifying, the 'Philip Jeffries' line especially. Chilling
Yeah but it was very odd how his voice was altered just for this one scene. I mean it is deep in every scene, but the prison scene voice was very different
In the prison scene they're hearing his voice via a mic and speakers. In other words, through electricity.
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Re: Parts 3 & 4 - Call for help & ...brings back some memories (SPOILERS)

Post by sylvia_north »

BigEd wrote:
sylvia_north wrote:Just watched Wizard of Oz and Dark Side of the Moon synced because that Atom Heart Mother sync up was cool. I don't get it. Some of the scenes are the same time as the song. The moody flowy songs sometimes catch the beats of the story, but not crazy impressively. Maybe I'm missing out on something?
You must not have started it at the right time.
I got the torrent that was pre-synced. The bells start when the neighbor lady who wants Toto is riding the bike, yes?. No commentors said it was badly synced
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
Rik Renault
Roadhouse Member

Post by Rik Renault »

I can't believe there are still people who actually believe in the Pink Floyd/Wizard of Oz synchronicity.
alreadygoneplaces
RR Diner Member

Post by alreadygoneplaces »

I watched this episode again today and was struck by how sad the real Dougie Jones's Red Room demise feels now that we've lived for a while in the life he left behind. "You were manufactured, for a purpose. It seems now that purpose has been fulfilled". What awful last words to hear. Dispatched so matter-of-factly and unceremoniously. Pop!
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

alreadygoneplaces wrote:I watched this episode again today and was struck by how sad the real Dougie Jones's Red Room demise feels now that we've lived for a while in the life he left behind. "You were manufactured, for a purpose. It seems now that purpose has been fulfilled". What awful last words to hear. Dispatched so matter-of-factly and unceremoniously. Pop!
It is sad. Then again, maybe we can look at Dougie as having been made from a tiny drop of Cooper's self/soul, which would explain why he's a not-all-there lovable loser. When Dougie goes poof there's a small golden sphere left behind. We see Laura's Atman/Soul/Self being created or otherwise sent (in what I'd tend to look at as a metaphorical representation) in the form of a large golden sphere. When Philip Gerard (that's how he's billed, for whatever reason) communicates with Cooper, he says "You've been tricked!", or something along those lines, and holds up the little gold sphere. He could simply be saying that Cooper was sent to the wrong life, holding up the sphere to indicate Dougie, but he could also be saying that the sphere is a little missing piece of Cooper. Here's a quote from Lynch:
Everyone's got consciousness... Grow that ball of consciousness and all avenues of life improve. Your work just blossoms.
So, Dougie's human life is over, but it's possible that he represents a little droplet of Cooper's soul, and that in Cooper regaining his consciousness that sphere will be reintegrated. After all, Gerard seems to be hanging on to that little sphere, and it didn't evaporate, so it must be something. If this theory is correct, it would further imply that the soul of Dougie, however feeble it was on its own, will be present in an integrated Cooper (assuming we see one), and therefor Janey-E was always married to a little, lesser bit of Cooper, and Sonny Jim really is Cooper's son. (Dougie and Coop may well share the same DNA, which allowed Cooper to reform physically out of the raw organic material made available by Dougie.)

Of course this theory makes a lot of assumptions:
1. Dougie was made of a drop of Cooper's soul.
2. Janey-E is real, not a fabrication or illusion. (I think she's real)
3. Sonny Jim is real, not a fabrication or illusion. (I tend to think he's real, though there is the "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" thing.)
alreadygoneplaces
RR Diner Member

Jasper wrote: It is sad. Then again, maybe we can look at Dougie as having been made from a tiny drop of Cooper's self/soul, which would explain why he's a not-all-there lovable loser. When Dougie goes poof there's a small golden sphere left behind. We see Laura's Atman/Soul/Self being created or otherwise sent (in what I'd tend to look at as a metaphorical representation) in the form of a large golden sphere. When Philip Gerard (that's how he's billed, for whatever reason) communicates with Cooper, he says "You've been tricked!", or something along those lines, and holds up the little gold sphere. He could simply be saying that Cooper was sent to the wrong life, holding up the sphere to indicate Dougie, but he could also be saying that the sphere is a little missing piece of Cooper. Here's a quote from Lynch:
Everyone's got consciousness... Grow that ball of consciousness and all avenues of life improve. Your work just blossoms.
So, Dougie's human life is over, but it's possible that he represents a little droplet of Cooper's soul, and that in Cooper regaining his consciousness that sphere will be reintegrated. After all, Gerard seems to be hanging on to that little sphere, and it didn't evaporate, so it must be something. If this theory is correct, it would further imply that the soul of Dougie, however feeble it was on its own, will be present in an integrated Cooper (assuming we see one), and therefor Janey-E was always married to a little, lesser bit of Cooper, and Sonny Jim really is Cooper's son. (Dougie and Coop may well share the same DNA, which allowed Cooper to reform physically out of the raw organic material made available by Dougie.)

Of course this theory makes a lot of assumptions:
1. Dougie was made of a drop of Cooper's soul.
2. Janey-E is real, not a fabrication or illusion. (I think she's real)
3. Sonny Jim is real, not a fabrication or illusion. (I tend to think he's real, though there is the "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" thing.)
This is a beautiful idea, it would be nice if you turned out to be right here. I've also felt that there must've been something of Cooper in Dougie, largely due to Sonny Jim. That said, I've opted not to see the Laura orb as her being sent by ??????? (metaphorically or otherwise). Rather, something as yet unknown is sent to her, or the orb has some other significance which relates to her story. Possibly wishful thinking.
Andromedeaux
Roadhouse Member

Post by Andromedeaux »

Who is this dude? Episode 3, 55:00. Scene in Cole's office when he and Albert first hear of Coop in SD.

Please direct me to the page where this is discussed if it has been already.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (14.53 KiB) Viewed 15041 times
alreadygoneplaces
RR Diner Member

Andromedeaux wrote:Who is this dude? Episode 3, 55:00. Scene in Cole's office when he and Albert first hear of Coop in SD.

It's Franz Kafka. Don't think it's been discussed much, but: search.php?keywords=kafka
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

Andromedeaux wrote:Who is this dude? Episode 3, 55:00. Scene in Cole's office when he and Albert first hear of Coop in SD.
alreadygoneplaces wrote:It's Franz Kafka. Don't think it's been discussed much, but: search.php?keywords=kafka

Kafka's Metamorphosis is one of Lynch's favourite stories.
David Lynch wrote:Yes, I identify a lot with the character [Gregor Samsa], but I don't wanna go into all the reason's [sic] why.
http://www.thecityofabsurdity.com/metamorphosis.html
Last edited by Novalis on Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
Major Briggs
RR Diner Member

Post by Major Briggs »

So I suddenly remembered that some poster in the old spoiler thread (The Woodsman maybe?) posted a pic of Josh McDermitt holding a child, with the caption: "some people will know why posted that". Wonder what was that about, since Josh had such a small role in Part 4
Cooperscoffeecup
RR Diner Member

Post by Cooperscoffeecup »

Major Briggs wrote:So I suddenly remembered that some poster in the old spoiler thread (The Woodsman maybe?) posted a pic of Josh McDermitt holding a child, with the caption: "some people will know why posted that". Wonder what was that about, since Josh had such a small role in Part 4
Sorry I cant remember that at all. But I do wish we had our spoiler thread. So often I see a scene and think, oh I remember that, and wish I could refer to the spoiler thread to get the background. ;)
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I wonder of the series will ever revisit (or if DKL will ever clarify in an interview) what the significance is of Phoebe Augustine playing "American Girl" is. This isn't an instance of, say, a spear carrier like Brian Finney or Mike Malone popping up again in a different context (which may be a new role or the same character 25 years on). Ronette is an iconic character with strong links to the mythology. Casting Augustine, particularly in a Lodge context, obviously brings some heavy baggage to the table and implies some deeper significance to the choice.
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I wonder of the series will ever revisit (or if DKL will ever clarify in an interview) what the significance is of Phoebe Augustine playing "American Girl" is. This isn't an instance of, say, a spear carrier like Brian Finney or Mike Malone popping up again in a different context (which may be a new role or the same character 25 years on). Ronette is an iconic character with strong links to the mythology. Casting Augustine, particularly in a Lodge context, obviously brings some heavy baggage to the table and implies some deeper significance to the choice.
Be interesting to see how Coop describes the encounter (if he relates this story to anyone) after he gets his memory and ability to communicate back. Does he call her an "american girl"? Say "Ronette Pulaski" or "Someone who looked like Ronette Pulaski but wasn't"?
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

I'm trying to do a freeze frame on Coop's face as he's falling into the Mauve Room zone. I keep thinking I see Laura's face superimposed very briefly. Anyone else wanna give it a try? (I'm probably just seeing things...)
djsunyc
RR Diner Member

Post by djsunyc »

WOW