Parts 3 & 4 - Call for help & ...brings back some memories (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Re: Parts 3 + 4 (Spoilers)

Post by Jasper »

I took a long break after the first two hours. I just now finished part 3. It was phenomenal.

I had a suspicion that 3&4 might have gotten early release from Showtime due to things not quite getting to where they were going in the first two hours. It would certainly make sense after having seen episode 3. I think it’s likely that Showtime knew how weird and foreign the first two hours were, and they wanted to prevent that being the only impression of critics and viewers for an entire week.

Incidentally, I can’t be the only one who noticed that Cooper reentered the world as…Rain Man. (Even though Rain Man was not good at games of chance.) I haven’t read this thread at all, but I looked at the thread for the first two parts, and Chester Desmond seemed upset. I kept thinking that he’d be feeling a lot better after this. I am very happy.
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Post by Pinky »

my god, MacLachlan's delivery in the prison scene was bloody terrifying, the 'Philip Jeffries' line especially. Chilling
soundchaser

Post by soundchaser »

My favorite part of these two, I think, is the opening to Part 3, with its "glitching" motion. That's got to be Lynch deliberately taking advantage of the medium, and it's something I don't think has been utilized often enough. Sort of a modern day "backwards talking" equivalent.
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Post by Pinky »

it's better than I could have ever hoped. But they're going to run Lynch out of town tonight, I swear, people are going to freak out. I loved it, and the end scene at the prison scared the absolute crap out of me. The exchange between them was hands down the scariest thing i've seen in Twin Peaks.
crumble

Post by crumble »

i feel like this season probably would 'work' a lot better for me if it had been condensed a bit? at least thus far. the 'dougie' scenes have really grated on me in a way nothing else Lynch has ever does has. i need to process all of this considerably more, though.
ryst

Post by ryst »

soundchaser wrote:My favorite part of these two, I think, is the opening to Part 3, with its "glitching" motion. That's got to be Lynch deliberately taking advantage of the medium, and it's something I don't think has been utilized often enough. Sort of a modern day "backwards talking" equivalent.
Agreed. That was something I've never seen before. I loved it and will watch it again and again.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Cera as Wally Brando Brennan... He was doing a Don Cerlone and Wild One bit. I kninda really liked that scene.

And with the 200 plus actors my fear of this being just new younger kids taking over the story is long gone. We've already seen like sixty of them.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Pinky wrote:my god, MacLachlan's delivery in the prison scene was bloody terrifying, the 'Philip Jeffries' line especially. Chilling
Yep, it was absolutely spot on. It echoed the delivery at the end of the original series very well (while also being far more effective).

Also, question for anyone; I thought I saw Frank Silva's name in the credits for Episode 2 or 3 (in addition to the 'in memory of). Was there archive footage of him somewhere? We obviously saw Don S. Davis as well. Curious who voiced Jeffries in one of the earlier episodes.

(Sorry for putting these questions in this thread, considering they might be more pertinent to 1/2, but, frankly, all the episodes really blended together in my brain as I binged them).

Overall though, I'm pretty estatic about the series. Balls-to-the-wall weird. I will say, something about the look of the Red Room seems a bit 'off', can't put my finger on it (almost like they're on CG plates rather than actually on a set .. but I get the impression there was a set), I dug the evolution of the arm (even if ultimately, I think Michael J Anderson's presence there would've worked better and been simpler). One or two of the effects felt a bit .. overdone (when the bum vanishes from the prison cell and his face kind of floats away, Laura .. flying away? Which frankly made me chuckle). Overall though, the show *looks* fantastic, and I was one of the people initially worried about some of the footage released.

Michael Cera's bit really didn't work for me, and I tried to go in with an open mind for him (I like him in AD, but, it just took me out here).

The glitchy fireplace room effect was fantastic (wasn't as crazy about the outer space stuff, just because it never looks good). I got big Eraserhead vibes with the levers, and the initial place Coop falls into.

Loving the fish-out-of-water/learning the world again Coop comedy stuff (and in fact, all the comedy bits, which were heavy in 3/4, really played to Twin Peaks strengths of dry/tedious humour). Not quite FWWM bleak as I suspected the series to be.

Log Lady is/was heartbreaking (curious if we'll see anymore of her, if she filmed many phone conversations for the series, or if they only were able to get a few short scenes with her). It crackled with a very palpable real life emotion, especially in her very first scene.

I like that Harry wasn't completely sidestepped. Sick off screen, probably dying. It gives me hope that we might at some point briefly see him, but, at the very least he was referenced.

Dana Ashbrook killed it in his scene. Excited to see more of him, and him being a cop feels very right (especially his specialty in drug trafficking).

The glass box scene with the pay off was Lynchian editing at it's finest.

Curious if we'll see Ben/Jerry again, and how much. There's a really disjointed feeling to that and the Jacoby stuff that almost reminds me of the Q2 edit of FWWM, in terms of how it just sort of bounces around. Similar to Mulholland Drive as well. Either way, I like how sprawling it is (even if some of the stuff never goes anywhere important).
ryst

Post by ryst »

IMO, some of the acting could have been better, or as someone else said, better rhythm. But at the same time, as a Lynch fan, I've noticed most of the acting is much like Lynch's other films. A lot of weird, almost robotic delivery. But it fits in Lynch's world. I don't know what people were expecting or why they thought the acting would be any different than a lot of other Lynch films.

I came into this with no expectations other than knowing it wouldn't be a nostalgic trip. Kyle, Lynch, and Frost all said this was new and not filled with nostalgia. So I was ready for anything.

And although I was perplexed by some of the fx, story lines, and acting and amazed by some other fx, story lines and acting, I feel basically like I do when I watch anything from Lynch. It completely messes with my senses and makes me question everything I just saw. So....I'm happy. :D
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

I did laugh during the scene of Jacoby spray painting... And thought Lynch really might be trolling us into watching literally paint drying.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Post by Pinky »

yeah, the Jacoby stuff and the DoppelCoop plot feel like completely different universes at some points. I've got a couple of issues with things but my head is exactly where I hoped it would be at, and then some. I've got no idea why it's working, but it's working for me. I feel like i'm in space. The B&W scene with the giant felt like it was filmed half a million years ago and completely out of time all at once. Albert yelling at Gordon maybe the hardest i've laughed at anything in a while. Absolutely bonkers.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Part 4 was way too padded.

It was saved by the great scene in jail with Coop/Albert/Cole.

A real mixed bag thus far. When it's great, it's great. Still, final judgement is way off. This is just the first four chapters in a book.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
BEARisonFord
RR Diner Member

Post by BEARisonFord »

I think I enjoyed both the Vegas and Michael Cera scenes a little bit more, solely because I was imagining a fair amount of fans on here completely flipping out. Some polarizing stuff. I loved Cera, thought it was very funny.

I can't remember if anyone had pegged Naomi Watts for the housewife role?

Loved the prison scene. it's agonizing seeing where all this is going, but I love it.
ryst

Post by ryst »

Rudagger wrote:I will say, something about the look of the Red Room seems a bit 'off', can't put my finger on it (almost like they're on CG plates rather than actually on a set .. but I get the impression there was a set), I dug the evolution of the arm (even if ultimately, I think Michael J Anderson's presence there would've worked better and been simpler). One or two of the effects felt a bit .. overdone (when the bum vanishes from the prison cell and his face kind of floats away, Laura .. flying away? Which frankly made me chuckle). Overall though, the show *looks* fantastic, and I was one of the people initially worried about some of the footage released.

My eyes didn't like the Red Room. From some of the pics that came out before the show, i thought it looked very green screeny/CGI-ish. And to me, watching the show confirmed it. I could be wrong but I usually can spot that stuff really well. There is an organic quality to the original Red Room because it was a real set. This just looked fake. But I got over it quickly so I could just enjoy watching the show. :D
BEARisonFord
RR Diner Member

Post by BEARisonFord »

ryst wrote: My eyes didn't like the Red Room. From some of the pics that came out before the show, i thought it looked very green screeny/CGI-ish. And to me, watching the show confirmed it. I could be wrong but I usually can spot that stuff really well. There is an organic quality to the original Red Room because it was a real set. This just looked fake. But I got over it quickly so I could just enjoy watching the show. :D
This is probably going to be talked about endlessly, but i'm fairly certain the red room is not CG. I think it's just jarring to see that set shot digitally. It arguably doesn't do it a lot of favors, but c'est la vie.