Parts 3 & 4 - Call for help & ...brings back some memories (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

fearltd
Roadhouse Member

Re: Parts 3 + 4 (Spoilers)

Post by fearltd »

Although it may sound sacrilege, from what I've seen, I can definitely already see someone cutting together a fanedit somewhere down the line after it's all done, cutting down a lot of material and adding in the old music,etc., making it "feel" the old series. And it would probably be a lot more palatable for some. it's still a lot to digest.
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

So is Bob still in the doppelganger? Or is he just a doppelganger?

So was that TP from the book?
adl345
RR Diner Member

Post by adl345 »

happyrat98 wrote:But then I read a theory, watched episode 4, and suddenly I think I'm in love.

The doppelganger stated that he had a plan to avoid the lodge. Dougie Jones is a second doppelganger created by the first doppelganger. Instead of the doppelganger, Dougie ends up going back to the lodge. The doppelganger created Dougie Jones, who presumably was leading an actual life, in order to avoid returning to the lodge. Mike tells Dougie that he is created for a purpose that has failed. Dougie then ceases to exist and the real Dale returns to reality, but he is not whole because the real doppelganger still exists. Hence, Mike tells Cooper that one of them must die and that he had been tricked.
That's meant to be a theory? I think it's pretty much explicitly explained, in-show story at this point.
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

Need more. Need more. Couldn't stop smiling during all four parts.

There are people out there that are going to HATE this! Hahahaha
Blackcoffee

Post by Blackcoffee »

I can't believe some people aren't liking this. Everyone I watched with had a blast and couldn't stop laughing. This is exactly what I wanted from the show.
Manwith
RR Diner Member

Post by Manwith »

happyrat98 wrote:the real Dale returns to reality, but he is not whole because the real doppelganger still exists
I figure the real Dale is a drooling person because he's spent 25 years in surreal gibberish land. The real world is now just as nonsensical to him as the lodge. He needs some time for his brain to re-adjust to the real material world where things like cause and effect make sense.
Cipher
RR Diner Member

Post by Cipher »

Brand new poster! Just binged through all four episodes.

I love what I'm seeing, but it's very in line Mulholland Drive -- scattershot mysteries with an eerie, artificial vibe that seemed destined to come together into some sort of tangentially logical, certainly emotional, resolution. I'm absolutely willing to let that play out. I've seen more than a few people take issue with the wooden acting so far, but ... I don't get that. That always seemed like part of Twin Peaks' soap-opera pastiche, and has been an element of Lynch's work in general, drawing attention to the uncanny nature of the camera (and doubling, and memory, and all sorts of ideas that go along with awareness of the camera). It isn't standard stilted-acting woodenness either--there is at once a genuine awkwardness to it that colors real-world interactions in a way I think we rarely observe closely enough to give credit, and a sense of measured uncanny that helps put Lynch's worlds at edge. Present a lot of his imagery with less artifice, it looses a lot of its impact. Make the uncanny part of a viscerally uncanny world, and it plays and affects. That's always been part of the secret. (Though I wasn't aware it was any kind of secret and thought everyone was on board.)

My explanation for the second doppelganger -- our "Dougie" -- at this point is one that I see has already been posted here. Bad Coop says he has a way to avoid being pulled back into the lodge, and we know from The Arm that for Cooper to leave, there must be a two-way exchange. When "Dougie" is pulled back into the lodge, MIKE comments that he was "manufactured for a purpose, which has now been fulfilled," after which the doppelganger becomes a small gold sphere. Later, MIKE holds the sphere up to Cooper saying, "You were tricked," and reiterating that only one of the two Coopers can exist simultaneously. I'd be very surprised if the explanation is indeed anything other than that a second "decoy" Cooper was manufactured by Bad Coop, who intended for it to trade places with the real Cooper instead.

Intrigued about the "mother," and whether we'll see any more on that. I'm also curious about how Laura's role is supposed to dovetail with her apparent peace at the end of Fire Walk With Me, which seemed to take place, through Twin Peaks' chronological weirdness, after the events of the series.

But yeah, a lot of people are going to hate this. Could've seen that coming a mile away.
Last edited by Cipher on Sun May 21, 2017 11:15 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Calderon
Roadhouse Member

Post by Calderon »

The end of episode 4 was great. Lynch is so messing with us. I fucking love it.
Jacoby

Post by Jacoby »

Loved everything so far. Can't wait until the last eps come out to make haters crawl back under their rock.
speedbeatz
Roadhouse Member

Post by speedbeatz »

sylviecerise wrote:The first half of EP3 was nuts and kind of off the rails (is that supposed to be Judy???), but that scene and EP4 brought it home for me.
I haven't gone back to check the credits myself, but someone on reddit said the woman was played by Phoebe Augustine.

Edit: "Phoebe Augustine - American Girl"

Also, regarding Dougie/Bad Coop/Good Coop, it seems like Good Coop was preparing to exit the lodge and reclaim his body from Bad Coop (looking out through the curtains), but the Arm's doppelganger directly intervened to keep that from happening (at the end of Ep.2). Presumably, then, the Arm's doppelganger's goals are aligned with keeping Bad Coop in the real world.
Last edited by speedbeatz on Sun May 21, 2017 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sylviecerise
Roadhouse Member

Post by sylviecerise »

speedbeatz wrote:
sylviecerise wrote:The first half of EP3 was nuts and kind of off the rails (is that supposed to be Judy???), but that scene and EP4 brought it home for me.
I haven't gone back to check the credits myself, but someone on reddit said the woman was played by Phoebe Augustine.

Edit: "Phoebe Augustine - American Girl"
Recognized her! That was the girl with the bob haircut & red sweater. I was thinking of the faceless woman at the beginning of the scene.
happyrat98

Post by happyrat98 »

The first 3 episodes are difficult to follow and make one question whether this is all going to be worth it. But I'd say the final 15 minutes of episode 4 solidifies that this is going to be an amazing season.
Calderon
Roadhouse Member

Post by Calderon »

The longer I think about these first four hours, the better they are. Just brilliant. Two Coopers out there and the world seems to be out of sync.
indyit
RR Diner Member

Post by indyit »

Hockey Mask wrote:Need more. Need more. Couldn't stop smiling during all four parts.

There are people out there that are going to HATE this! Hahahaha
Agree with you wholeheartedly. This is exactly what I want to see. Not what I expected, but more than welcome. This ended on a great note! Breakfast has super powers! Coffee woke Dale up! Next "part" we will get old Coop back! He's been out of it and it's been painful to watch but hes back goddammit. And with him, and Laura. The music will return. Hearing what Coop being back in Twin Peaks will be like should be fantastic. I really hope Badalamenti's done something new.

Seriously that is probably the most apparent difference between series. But it's coming, Bobby's reaction and the swelling of the music confirms it. It's always been about Laura.
Driftwood
RR Diner Member

Post by Driftwood »

adl345 wrote:The one recurring thing I'm noticing so far is just how many dialogue scenes there are with extended silences and extra beats between individual lines. It has to be a deliberate choice.
I thought this was a known lynch thing, I'm surprised how much I'm seeing about this and "bad acting." like do people not think the cops in lost highway are hilariously awkward and almost like someone awkwardly imitating a old tv show cop.