Parts 3 & 4 - Call for help & ...brings back some memories (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

sackboy97
Roadhouse Member

Re: Parts 3 + 4 (SPOILERS)

Post by sackboy97 »

I'm not sure that classifies as product placement though; we see those brands because we see them around us in our everyday life. The only time when the brand was the "focus" was with the car in Part 1, but even then, I don't think the car brand was the point of the shot.
Driftwood
RR Diner Member

Post by Driftwood »

How would you suggest they display a car without showing it's logo?
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Re: Parts 3 + 4 (Spoilers)

Post by Jasper »

Radiatorlady wrote:
brett wrote:[...]My only two gripes so far have been: Is there a bunch of product placement or am I nuts?.
Love the new show, the product placement is the only thing that I really do not like. There are very visible logos and products from Apple, Microsoft, Samsung, Dell, Lincoln and Mercedes-Benz. Based on David Lynch's outspoken resistance to product placement, this seems a bit odd. Product placement is common in all other mainstream television productions and blockbuster movies these days. The difference between TPS3 and regular shows is that this is a piece of art and not a industrial entertainment product. I can not remember seeing this in any other Lynch film. There is such things as the Mercedes in Lost Highway, but that seems a bit different.
Lynch/Frost don't call the shots at Showtime, and there was a protracted battle over financial matters. If there's actually any intentional product placement, this is likely all any of us need to know in order to understand why that would be.

Lynch has said that he hates product placement, and it's clearly something that bothers him, but that doesn't mean that it's not something he's never had to deal with. He never said "If it takes product placement to secure enough funding for a film, then I will refuse to make the film."

In terms of dealing with seeing logos or whatever, we can keep in mind that, like it or not, various products and product labels do in fact appear regularly in real life, whereas a complete absence of such things is probably only found among isolated Amazon tribes and the like.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Product placement is the norm in TV. It's part of getting a budget. I just overlook it these days.
wxray
RR Diner Member

Re: Parts 3 + 4 (Spoilers)

Post by wxray »

Radiatorlady wrote:
brett wrote:[...]My only two gripes so far have been: Is there a bunch of product placement or am I nuts?.
Love the new show, the product placement is the only thing that I really do not like. There are very visible logos and products from Apple, Microsoft, Samsung, Dell, Lincoln and Mercedes-Benz. Based on David Lynch's outspoken resistance to product placement, this seems a bit odd. Product placement is common in all other mainstream television productions and blockbuster movies these days. The difference between TPS3 and regular shows is that this is a piece of art and not a industrial entertainment product. I can not remember seeing this in any other Lynch film. There is such things as the Mercedes in Lost Highway, but that seems a bit different.
Thankfully, all is right in the roadhouse. The beer logos are still "Beer on Tap", "Lagerbeer", etc. encased in a vaguely correct shadow logo of the real life brand. I always laugh at them.

Of course we did find out that in 25 years a new brand has popped up. We now have "Colonial" beer to go along with the classic "R" beer.

I'm starting to think that "R" beer has the same effect on humans as Garmonbozia on our lodge citizens.
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

Ugh imagine if Lynch prominently featured brands like Heineken or Pabst Blue Ribbon
Touchstone

Post by Touchstone »

Dalai Cooper wrote:Ugh imagine if Lynch prominently featured brands like Heineken or Pabst Blue Ribbon
The denizons of the Black Lodge don't always drink beer, but when they do, they drink...

So far, all the product placement I've noticed has been related to Booper - sly commentary on the evils of product placement?
droolcup

Post by droolcup »

For me, the beginning of episode 3 is absolutely incredible. The falling in space, the injection of mauve, the floating house, Naido, the lever, the electrical machine, the acting with no speech couldn't be improved upon. It is my joint favourite scene of all in Twin Peaks (along with the Angels in the film).

How brave of Cooper to not know what on Earth (or other) is happening or what (or when) is happening and not to give up. I wondered if he was just going to stay at the top of the floating house and just watch the stars for all eternity. My hat goes off to all concerned (:
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

What kind of object are Cooper and Naido standing on when she pulls down the lever?
Sergey

Post by Sergey »

blue Rose?

1-1-9 = 911 (help, SOS) pin, playing cards.

playing cards - Trail of a pin.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

counterpaul wrote:As to the Albert thing, my gut tells me he has not gone "bad." The key to their exchange at the end of Part 4 is the phrase "years ago." How many years ago? Could Albert even be referring to the time before Jeffries and Coop disappeared--circa 1986 or so? Possibly. Lots of unknowns.
I considered that it could be pre-Jeffries's disappearance....but if the agent turned up dead a week later, the implication is that OUR Cooper killed the FBI man in Colombia. Or Jeffries did, since Albert never actually spoke to Cooper....but in any event, it seems a bit odd that Albert wouldn't have reported both agents and initiated an investigation after the agent died.

I really don't understand the complaints about "product placement." Consider how many logos you see in your everyday life. The presence of real life products is simply verisimilitude -- I certainly prefer it to the approach of the original show, which featured a barely-altered box of Cap'n Crunch relabeled "Crunchies" (Pilot, Sarah in the kitchen) and the same damn prop Jack Daniel's bottle with a defaced label to obscure the name featuring prominently in EVERY shot of the series involving a liquor bottle. (Ok, I admittedly find that approach charmingly quaint -- but TV has changed.) The fact that real brands feature doesn't mean that the show took a penny from those companies (although I wouldn't mind if it did, if that money helped bring Lynch/Frost's vision to the sceen). Mad Men referenced countless real-life brands throughout its run but only had three actual "product placement" deals in the entire run of the show. (The show famously shit all over Jaguar in the fifth season, and the company, blindsided, made a good-natured joke out of it on social media.)
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Dalai Cooper wrote:Ugh imagine if Lynch prominently featured brands like Heineken or Pabst Blue Ribbon
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

What a sellout
StrangerDanger
RR Diner Member

Post by StrangerDanger »

Wow that's a good one. What do you think it means, about the card, is that a Donnie Darko silhouette of an evil rabbit? Who is that crazy woman? Is the white powder on her table = drugs?
Sergey wrote:blue Rose?

1-1-9 = 911 (help, SOS) pin, playing cards.

leeeET's ROCK!
[ I've permanently left the forum ... Dugpa is a dodgy name, plus l'm too busy. Keep the :?: :idea: ]
Leebob
Roadhouse Member

Post by Leebob »

Sergey wrote:1-1-9 = 911 (help, SOS) pin, playing cards.

Very interesting - amazing you picked this out! Seems to be another indicator that Good Coop my be in an earlier timeline than Bad Coop.

Sergey - I see you can obtain some screen caps with pretty high resolution - any chance you can get a better image of the DUGE LV licens plate to help confirm it has a 2003 sticker?.

Image I previously posted:
http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 794#p81794
Some of my additional thoughts on the 2003 timeline theory.
http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 811#p81811