Parts 3 & 4 - Call for help & ...brings back some memories (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Re: Parts 3 + 4 (Spoilers)

Post by mlsstwrt »

mtwentz wrote:
mlsstwrt wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:That scene with Wally is a new low in the Twin Peaks Universe. Embarrassing.
Be careful Jerry, it's 2017 where even on DUGPA any legitimate criticism may see you branded as a 'Hater'. Unbelievable.
I think we are all clear that this show is going to be very divisive, even among diehard fans.

At this point, you either love it or hate it. There is very little middle ground. I am hoping it will eventually catch on with those who initially have reacted negatively to it.
That's absolutely fine and I'm genuinely happy for the people who love it. Maybe I will in time and for now I'm willing to concede that I'm just not 'getting it' as much as some. What is very irksome is to see comments on Dugpa, in this thread to the effect that those leveling any criticism are 'haters'. Somebody actually made that comment. I mean save it for the Justin Bieber videos on YouTube! Let's keep this thread to intelligent and respectful discussion.
TweetPeak
Roadhouse Member

Post by TweetPeak »

ultimately it will be for the better to have the episodes weekly.
my head is really hurt bad after watching 1-4.

the plot will move to Twin Peaks only in a while.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

I was fairly put off by the Tammy character... Because if you're going to have a stylized character who is also being objectified by men, the actor should be nuanced... And Bell didn't seem to have the confidence. It reads a little of Denise Richard's rocket scientist in that James Bond film. Especially when originally watching the show, I loved Audrey yearning to join the FBI.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Post by mlsstwrt »

TweetPeak wrote:ultimately it will be for the better to have the episodes weekly.
my head is really hurt bad after watching 1-4.

the plot will move to Twin Peaks only in a while.
Yeah I honestly thought that if someone had offered me the chance to watch all 18 hours in a single sitting I would have bitten their hand off. But after seeing the first four episodes, no, no way, not if you paid me. Weekly is good.
BEARisonFord
RR Diner Member

Post by BEARisonFord »

Audrey Horne wrote:I was fairly put off by the Tammy character... Because if you're going to have a stylized character who is also being objectified by men, the actor should be nuanced... And Bell didn't seem to have the confidence. It reads a little of Denise Richard's rocket scientist in that James Bond film. Especially when originally watching the show, I loved Audrey yearning to join the FBI.
Concur. I'll be open-minded and hope her performance lines up in the end but she's more or less the only big misfire for me.
TweetPeak
Roadhouse Member

Post by TweetPeak »

let´s give her a try - but i was rather shocked seeing the ball dropped on Tamara Preston.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I wouldn't have necessarily watched them all in one sitting. I'm drained from the first 4. But I think having them uploaded all together so we could have dipped in and out at our leisure would have been a good idea. Like a massive movie you watch in increments. I just don't think the week by week thing will work for it, apart from forcing us not to consume too much all at once.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I think we're definitely going back into town more and more each episode/part. I love it.

More Wally!
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
BEARisonFord
RR Diner Member

Post by BEARisonFord »

N. Needleman wrote:I think we're definitely going back into town more and more each episode/part. I love it.

More Wally!
I really, really hope we see more Wally.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

BEARisonFord wrote:I really, really hope we see more Wally.
I doubt it, but a man can dream.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
v2david

Post by v2david »

Qubism wrote:I am sure that Lynch agreed to the first 4 parts all being available today/last night to ease some of the WTF reactions.
I think it partly has to due with next Sunday being Memorial Day weekend. Live ratings were not going to be great due to the holiday. Showtime probably figured it was better to release the episodes early, instead of risking people missing them live and potentially bailing on the series. (I'm not talking about the hard-core fans, but the casual viewers.)
anthoto1
Roadhouse Member

Post by anthoto1 »

Wally's monologues sounded very reminiscent of Major Briggs, especially after listening to The secret history of Twin Peaks as an audiobook. Any possible connection whatsoever ?
Taperecorder
Roadhouse Member

Post by Taperecorder »

Audrey Horne wrote:I was fairly put off by the Tammy character... Because if you're going to have a stylized character who is also being objectified by men, the actor should be nuanced... And Bell didn't seem to have the confidence. It reads a little of Denise Richard's rocket scientist in that James Bond film. Especially when originally watching the show, I loved Audrey yearning to join the FBI.
My partner said the very same thing about Denise Richards/rocket scientist/Bond film!
Last edited by Taperecorder on Mon May 22, 2017 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
-
As above, so below.
-
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

I guess my reaction is much more mixed than most here. in fact, after not really getting any sleep, I'm still trying to decide how I feel. I'm certainly not loving it- which hurts. Its weird, I love every episode of the series, and loved FWWM from day one. But the new series... I'm not convinced yet. Some of it (Dougie) is just way too goofy. Even Watts' performance! And the lack of anything from Badalamenti is sad. The CGI Red Room and all the effects look awful. Hoping upon hopes that I start to warm to it...
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
crazyscottishguy
RR Diner Member

Post by crazyscottishguy »

It just hit me that Bobby Briggs might be running a drug joint on the side and trafficking them across the border. Some things might have never changed