Parts 3 & 4 - Call for help & ...brings back some memories (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

hopesfall
RR Diner Member

Re: Parts 3 + 4 (Spoilers)

Post by hopesfall »

I'm on the fence right now, but leaning over to the positive, and eager for more. The one drawback I'll say off the bat, is that some of the acting makes me fear that some of the actors may succumb to Dutch Elm disease at any moment. Yes, I know it's a Lynch thing to have the actors appear quite stiff and all, but this really breaks the fourth wall. Especially some of the old cast, which is a shame. There are lots of people defending it, which is absolutely great, I love it in most other works, but when it completely snaps you out of the world that Lynch wants you to dive into, it's a bit frustrating. Kyle and Forster are incredible though, many others too.

But anyway, I think episode 4 is the one I've actually enjoyed the most so far. Some of the comic relief has been most welcome; Albert's "CAR SICK!", Cera's part about the "shadow" (the rest was a bit cringe), Cole's hearing aid gaff, and even the California Man style breakfast scene. As slow as everything moves, the story is starting to kick into speed.

I actually love the FX. They're so unique. The part where Dougie disappeared on the chair, and the floating murals above the slot machines reminded me of the flaming ball in the Rabbits episodes.

So yeah, it's on an incline for me, but I'm not feeling Peaksy whatsoever, which to be honest I half expected. The nearest to it so far for me, is James at the Roadhouse, and Bobby first turning around in the hallway. The latter making me actually lean back and go "YES!". :D
Judge Giant
Roadhouse Member

Post by Judge Giant »

Am I the only one who loves Chrysta Bell as TP? And no, it's not just because I have a humongous crush on her...
This was a vision, fresh and clear as a mountain stream. The mind revealing itself to itself.

Visit my Lynch blog at https://lynchiantimes.wordpress.com, or follow on twitter https://twitter.com/LynchianTimes
TheAlien
RR Diner Member

Post by TheAlien »

Picking up Ronnie Rocket nods or continuity in episode three, and it is sooo much like Eraserhead in space!
For I am I: ergo, the truth of myself; my own sphinx, conflict, chaos, vortex—asymmetric to all rhythms, oblique to all paths. I am the prism between black and white: mine own unison in duality.
― Austin Osman Spare
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Still waiting for these episodes to be released here so can't read this thread.

I have one question.
Spoiler:
Does Laura feature in either of these episodes - OUTSIDE of the lodge?
Answer by PM is fine. That's the only thing I want to know!

Thanks.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Driftwood
RR Diner Member

Post by Driftwood »

No, except as a brief flashback to her appearance in part 2
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Ok, folks, so for those of us who have been posting and/or lurking since filming began in 2015, we KNEW this was going to happen. We knew not everyone was going to like it, that Lynch was going to challenge, offend, etc. and that some of us were not going to like it. We just most of us knew that going in.

But it's a lot different writing about it then actually experiencing it. Because you can't really prepare yourself to enter a strange new world you've never entered before.

I think a lot of you on the fence are eventually going to be drawn in, but in a way being a rabid Twin Peaks (as opposed to an overall Lynch fan) was actually a hindrance to enjoying this new season rather than an asset.

The good news is the initial reviews seem to be fairly positive.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/21/arts ... .html?_r=0
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Driftwood wrote:No, except as a brief flashback to her appearance in part 2
Drat. That's what I'm looking forward to most.
Thanks for answering!
One more question - are there many more TP scenes (old characters and location) - or about on par with 1 & 2? Less? More? Same?
Hope NOW TV uploads these episodes soon. :?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Judge Giant wrote:Am I the only one who loves Chrysta Bell as TP? And no, it's not just because I have a humongous crush on her...
So far, she's pretty much just been a pretty face and body- and in that she has succeeded quite well :-).
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Jonah wrote:
Drat. That's what I'm looking forward to most.
Thanks for answering!
One more question - are there many more TP scenes (old characters and location) - or about on par with 1 & 2? Less? More? Same?
Hope NOW TV uploads these episodes soon. :?
TP shows up in every episode so far, and I believe it will likely be like that for the duration. We'll get the other locations, then move back to Twin Peaks, then back to the other locations.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Driftwood
RR Diner Member

Post by Driftwood »

N. Needleman wrote:HELLOOOOO
lmao
Driftwood
RR Diner Member

Post by Driftwood »

Jonah wrote:
Just some sheriff station stuff so far I think, but some pretty significant stuff in part 4

And every episode ends in the roadhouse, which is always a nice reminder where this is all eventually headed
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Thanks! They've just been uploaded here. Going to rewatch the TP bits from 1 & 2, then the new ones.
crazyscottishguy
RR Diner Member

Post by crazyscottishguy »

After watching Part 1 and Part 2, i was somewhat baffled by the direction the feature was taking; but after watching Part 3 and 4 i'm ecstatic! LOVE the last 2 installments.

The vomit scene was pretty graphic and nasty.

I loved the car-sick/ Kazakhs bit a lot.

I loved dougie hitting the jackpot and helping out that old lady.

I loved wally "mental" impairment or whatever side effects the lodge bore on him.

Chrysta Bell's walk is just so forced, is it intentional?

Bobby bursting into tears over Laura's photo

Loved Naomi Watts and loved the way Dougie interacted with his kid over breakfast with his tie over his head and him spitting his coffee :lol: :lol: :lol:

I loved how evil Cooper tried hard to give his best "impersonation" of old Cooper. It almost verges on sinister.

Loved Denise Bryson cameo, which is a comment on the zeitgeist of the Caytlin Jenner hoopla, imho.
Last edited by crazyscottishguy on Mon May 22, 2017 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
douglasb
RR Diner Member

Post by douglasb »

I'm surprised how quickly 'bad Coop' has been brought in. It would have been nice to see him in the wild a bit more. What has he been doing all this time? Where has he been? Who has he been associating with?

My instincts are that Frost and Lynch may have collaborated on the script but, for example, the opening sequences of EP 3 were not part of that script. Could well turn out that Lynch is only using the script as a map - leaving Frost again somewhat removed (and aggrieved?).

I do hope things play out slightly smaller from now on. That we get to spend more time with the characters rather than Lynch playing around in the sandpit of his dreams.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

crazyscottishguy wrote: wally
I think you mean Dougie here. But I think that Dougie is now pretty much gone and Good 'Ol Coop is in his place.

Wally is the new fan unfavorite, Andy and Lucy's son played by Cera.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."