Parts 3 & 4 - Call for help & ...brings back some memories (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Re: Parts 3 + 4 (SPOILERS)

Post by krishnanspace »

Here Comes That Bob wrote:Coop's ID says he was born in 1973. Was that a mistake or...?
Its actually the same as Bill Hastings
Gordon
Roadhouse Member

Post by Gordon »

I have the impression most of the old cast will only make guest appearances, like in FWWM + MISSING PIECES... I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see Ben and Jerry anymore, their scene was great but as some of you say besides from that fleeting New York reference it's completely disconnected from the main plot (if there's such a thing here, I mean good Coop, bad Coop, Lodges, etc.); at least Jacoby's shovel painting business is intriguing and looks like it's going somewhere, in a very Lynchian way of course... :D

But on the other hand we've only seen 4 out of 18 episodes, not even a quarter of the whole thing... Let's see what is ahead of us, I'd be delighted if I'm wrong with my impression... :mrgreen:
bastia
Roadhouse Member

Post by bastia »

Do you think that Laura lives somewhere in earth too? Maybe she had a doppelganger too. In fact they showed her doppelganger if you remember in episode "beyond life and death", maybe one of the two got out.

Anyway. You all know that fear and love trig the lodges to open.. Do you remember the 2 guys having sex in ep 1? I guess they triggered the portal to the lodge.
And don't you think that the one who killed them maybe was Laura? It's strange, but the way she screamed and jumped away was just so much similar to the grey figure who killed the guys. And we can see that the grey is a somekind of woman figure.
Dom834
Roadhouse Member

Post by Dom834 »

Gordon wrote:I have the impression most of the old cast will only make guest appearances, like in FWWM + MISSING PIECES... I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see Ben and Jerry anymore, their scene was great but as some of you say besides from that fleeting New York reference it's completely disconnected from the main plot (if there's such a thing here, I mean good Coop, bad Coop, Lodges, etc.); at least Jacoby's shovel painting business is intriguing and looks like it's going somewhere, in a very Lynchian way of course... :D

But on the other hand we've only seen 4 out of 18 episodes, not even a quarter of the whole thing... Let's see what is ahead of us, I'd be delighted if I'm wrong with my impression... :mrgreen:
They are planting small seeds at the moment. The only real story line in Twin Peaks is the quest the Log has set Hawk, because it's what is in motion for now. That will change. Jacoby is a seed. The Hornes are a seed. Shelly's life was a seed, so were the hints about James. Bobby. Wally. Sarah. It's not cameos, it's set up.

Don't forget what Nevins said.. there are many story arcs taking place over the USA, eventually this converges on Twin Peaks. The heart of the whole mystery is in those woods between the twin peaks. When the story stars returning "home", the arcs in Twin Peaks will start to grow. and we'll start seeing the old characters, and the new/younger residents of Twin Peaks more and more.

Of course we haven't seen nor heard the last about the Hornes. Don't forget Silvia Horne too is cast.
Driftwood
RR Diner Member

Post by Driftwood »

Agent Earle wrote:
WhiteLodge90 wrote:
Also I really hope we get more of the Hornes. I feel kind of duped with them.
"Duped" would be an understatement in my case. That Horne brothers scene has to be a contender for the most awful scene in the whole of Twin Peaks. It felt like you're witnessing two gimps in a stage play. And people (including me) thought some late S 2 stuff was bad...
the scene was literally like every other scene they've ever had, just a new one. unless it's really that shocking they ... Aged! in there intervening years
wxray
RR Diner Member

Re: Parts 3 + 4 (Spoilers)

Post by wxray »

yaxomoxay wrote:
rocketsan22 wrote:
WhiteLodge90 wrote:A theory my cousin told me about which I found funny but I guess plausible is that Lucy had a traumatic experience and doesn't believe technology has advanced that's why she's startled by the cell phone and why the technological room is kept separate from her. Maybe ala Nadine in high school the town agreed to go along with Lucy thinking there were no cell phones etc.
Yet she has two visible computer monitors running Windows on her desk...?
Most likely she simply doesn't accept that the world has changed and parts of her former job are now superfluous.
I cannot help but think that Frost/Lynch are also yanking our chain here. WE are Lucy. People were going to shocked, shocked! I tell ya, over the fact that Twin Peaks has moved on and there is no more Earl, or Dick. Heck, even the Police department has a competent Sheriff and support staff with a real 911 center. (And a digital thermostat in the back room, unlike the analog one up front that Lucy can't operate.)

We are Lucy. We are having a hard time adjusting to this new TP world. Or I should say maybe not us, but the people on the other thread. :)
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

I finally realized why I cried with Bobby. The music! That scene flowed with it.

I think the music will be back. Angelo's music belongs in Twin Peaks and it will stay there and come out as we get more TP scenes.

Bad Coop doesn't deserve music.

Las Vegas gets Take Five, and that's just damn perfect!
EwanM
Roadhouse Member

Post by EwanM »

Jasper wrote:
I've been meaning to get to this, but haven't had time. I was interested that you mentioned Bacon in connection with the lodge scenes. I'd say that, yes, there's some in there, not least of all with the fleshy head of The Arm, but also in some of the composition. There's also arguably some Bacon in the finding of the clump of flesh in the back of the car.

During most of the lodge scenes I was just thinking how it was like contemporary Lynch paintings come to life. I too had Bacon in mind, but this was in relation to the glass box in NYC. Here are a few examples of Francis Bacon's work which might bring to mind the glass box, and also the thing that appeared there:
Nice finds. So much of Lynch's imagery here can be traced back to Bacon. The scene with Dougie in the chair in the Black Lodge, where his left hand shrank, and his head was replaced by a puff of black smoke, particularly reminded me of Bacon's Study after Velázquez's Portrait of Pope Innocent XI.

I find echoes of many artists in Lynch's work: Hopper of course, there is some Andrew Wyeth in there too, along with Odilon Redon, Balthus certainly, and the austere dreamlike quality of Giorgio de Chirico's work, along with Paul Delvaux. But Lynch fuses his influences together and imbues the product with his own magic to create something truly unique.

The first fifteen minutes of Episode 3 has its artistic antecedents, from surrealist, symbolist and metaphysical artists, but only Lynch could have forged that particular nightmare / dreamscape.

His use of sound is incredible. I can't think of any other artist who uses sound in quite this way - to not only complement, but to undercut and recontextualise the visual image - he can make the most banal scene seem incredibly sinister. Equally, he juxtaposes imagery and sound to invest even the blandest of utterances with hidden depth and infinite layers of potential meaning / mystery. 'You'd better hurry, my mother is coming' has never seemed like such a frightening exhortation.

Doppelgänger Cooper, in the interview scene with Gordon and Albert in episode 4, was terrifying, with his jet black, lifeless eyes and that deep, resonant, slowed-down voice, accompanied by an ominous low rumble on the soundtrack. The simple repetition of the phrase 'I was a little bit behind schedule, when my car veered off the road..' was inexplicably scary. It echoed the scene in FWWM in Hap's Diner with the old guy asking 'Are you talking about that little girl that got murdered?', hinting not just at motor malfunction / mild senility / but suggesting something deeper is wrong, as if there has been a disturbance in the fabric of space/time - like the glitching effect where time seems to run both forwards and backwards in that mysterious room at the start of Episode 3, and the loop back to Manhattan when Coop appears in the box, with Sam 'rechecking' the rest room for the missing security guard.

Doppelgänger Coop's appropriation of Good Coop's mannerisms, the thumbs up signal and the goofy grin, was deeply disturbing - wrenching those signifiers from their usual comforting context, repositioning them as a clown's mask adopted by a serial killer. When DoppelCoop said to Gordon, 'I've never really left home, Gordon', it reminded me of that chilling scene from Lost Highway when Fred Madison first meets the Mystery Man, ("as a matter of fact, I'm there - at your house - right now. Call me"), another evil entity that exists beyond the constraints of space and time, and it also harked back to the Giant's, 'It is in our house now', comment to Cooper at the start of Episode 1. The terror isn't 'out there', it's right in here with us, and inside us.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Driftwood wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:
WhiteLodge90 wrote:
Also I really hope we get more of the Hornes. I feel kind of duped with them.
"Duped" would be an understatement in my case. That Horne brothers scene has to be a contender for the most awful scene in the whole of Twin Peaks. It felt like you're witnessing two gimps in a stage play. And people (including me) thought some late S 2 stuff was bad...
the scene was literally like every other scene they've ever had, just a new one. unless it's really that shocking they ... Aged! in there intervening years
Yeah, right.
It was like watching Vladimir and Estragon in Beckett's Waiting for Godot. Excruciating.
Odnetnin
Roadhouse Member

Post by Odnetnin »

Agent Earle wrote:
Driftwood wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:
Yeah, right.
It was like watching Vladimir and Estragon in Beckett's Waiting for Godot. Excruciating.
Literally my favorite scene set in the town thus far. R-E-S-P-E-C-T
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Odnetnin wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:
Driftwood wrote: the scene was literally like every other scene they've ever had, just a new one. unless it's really that shocking they ... Aged! in there intervening years
Yeah, right.
Literally my favorite scene set in the town thus far. R-E-S-P-E-C-T
Okay...
firefly2193
Roadhouse Member

Post by firefly2193 »

Hi guys, I just read this (great) article on the new Twin Peaks, and at the end it has this bit on how Audrey turns up at the end of episode 4? Did I somehow completely miss this? Don't have time to rewatch whole episode but I swear she wasn't in it at all and not seen any discussion about her. Is this just a weird mistake (given that the rest of the article clearly written by someone who pays attention) or did I somehow miss this.

http://fb.me/21rb2VyqU

Thanks
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

firefly2193 wrote:Hi guys, I just read this (great) article on the new Twin Peaks, and at the end it has this bit on how Audrey turns up at the end of episode 4? Did I somehow completely miss this? Don't have time to rewatch whole episode but I swear she wasn't in it at all and not seen any discussion about her. Is this just a weird mistake (given that the rest of the article clearly written by someone who pays attention) or did I somehow miss this.

http://fb.me/21rb2VyqU

Thanks
Audrey doesn't appear on screen. Probably a reference to the woman Gordon and Albert talk about at the very end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dom834
Roadhouse Member

Post by Dom834 »

firefly2193 wrote:Hi guys, I just read this (great) article on the new Twin Peaks, and at the end it has this bit on how Audrey turns up at the end of episode 4?
He wrote that episode 4 concluded without Audrey making an appearance.
Leebob
Roadhouse Member

Post by Leebob »

This is the best image I could manage, but trust me, the license tab reads 03 - 2003 - our good friend Agent Cooper is in an earlier time period than the remainder of the story. The eyeless woman did not want him going to 2015 for reasons I cannot begin to guess, she threw a switch that set the destination to 2003. Agents Coopers journey back to Twin Peaks may be much different than we are expecting.
2003-DUGE LV License Tab.jpg
2003-DUGE LV License Tab.jpg (272.77 KiB) Viewed 10446 times
Is it future...or is it past.