Parts 1 & 2 - My log has a message for you & The stars turn and a time presents itself (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

Mr. Strawberry

Re: Parts 1 & 2 - My log has a message for you & The stars turn and a time presents itself (SPOILERS)

Postby Mr. Strawberry » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:43 am

Supposed to be waiting to rewatch until a couple of friends can make the time -- they haven't seen it yet and are very excited.

But I've been waiting for months, lost my willpower and watched the first two parts last night.

I have to say, this is so different than what I remembered. It really reminds me of rewatching the original series and being amazed by little forgotten details, surprised by things I'd never noticed before, and overwhelmed by the new thoughts and perspectives that each viewing offers.

The whole thing is really tripping me out. I can't make sense of any of it! For example, Cooper sees MIKE who asks, "Is it future or is it past?" After this, Laura tells Cooper than he can go out now. But moments later MIKE appears again, and asks the same question. What's that all about? This time, Cooper is ushered into another room where he is told that he cannot go out until his doppelganger comes back in. That seems to contradict what Laura told him.

When Cooper slips through the curtains, is he moving to a place that MIKE and The Arm did not expect him to go? It appears that he wants to open the curtains but doesn't know how, as though he has knowledge of a future ability, or something.

When Cooper looks out through the curtains, he sees his doppelganger driving down a desert highway. Is he seeing the moment that Mr. C crashes at 2:53? And when Cooper falls into the Glass Box, it is while Sam and Tracey are looking for the missing guard. In other words, these two scenes do not appear in chronological order, since we had already seen Sam and Tracey look for the guard, and we will not see Mr. C speeding down the highway until later.

It's the chronological disorder that's making me question what these scenes mean. Things are presented this way for a very specific reason but damn, again, I can't make sense of it. In any case, this is a great experience and I'll have much more to say on it later (still drinking some strong coffee).
Not taking any calls.
Mordeen

Re: Parts 1 & 2 - My log has a message for you & The stars turn and a time presents itself (SPOILERS)

Postby Mordeen » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:42 pm

Mr. Strawberry wrote:
When Cooper slips through the curtains, is he moving to a place that MIKE and The Arm did not expect him to go? It appears that he wants to open the curtains but doesn't know how, as though he has knowledge of a future ability, or something.

Yes, he slips Between Two Worlds, and nearly finds his way out before the Evolution's Doppelganger attacks him. He's still between the Two Worlds, Black and White (Lodge) and literally falls between them (the opening in the floor) and into a new place. He's still dreaming, after all, so when he lands in what many have adopted as the "Mauve Space," look carefully as he looks out over the vast ocean, and focus on the horizon. It's barely noticeable, but if you adjust brightness and contrast you can see that the horizon is an eye. The place Between Two Worlds is inside Cooper's mind.

- Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
mtwentz

Postby mtwentz » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:53 pm

Mordeen wrote:
Mr. Strawberry wrote:

Yes, he slips Between Two Worlds, and nearly finds his way out before the Evolution's Doppelganger attacks him. He's still between the Two Worlds, Black and White (Lodge) and literally falls between them (the opening in the floor) and into a new place. He's still dreaming, after all, so when he lands in what many have adopted as the "Mauve Space," look carefully as he looks out over the vast ocean, and focus on the horizon. It's barely noticeable, but if you adjust brightness and contrast you can see that the horizon is an eye. The place Between Two Worlds is inside Cooper's mind.

- Mordeen

I love it! That's what makes The Return so enriching, while admittedly at the same, not as accessible to the masses as the original series. It really is, as Major Briggs once said, the 'mind revealing itself to itself'.
"Dougie is COOPER? How the Hell is this!?"
Hester Prynne

Postby Hester Prynne » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:48 pm

Mordeen wrote:
It's barely noticeable, but if you adjust brightness and contrast you can see that the horizon is an eye. The place Between Two Worlds is inside Cooper's mind.

- Mordeen

This made my day. Although after going back and watching this, it makes me wonder how many other things I missed.

As Cooper falls through non-existence, the shot even starts to zoom in on Cooper's face, then his eyes, and then the "mauve space" - like we are traveling straight into his mind.
baxter

Postby baxter » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:26 am

I don't see an eye! It is sort of suggestive, but could also just be a cloud pattern.
Hester Prynne

Postby Hester Prynne » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:24 am

I think it's supposed to be suggestive, but if you adjust the settings on your tv picture to give it more contrast and look at it from a distance, it resembles an eye, an eyelid, and a brow line.

Or maybe it is just in the eye of the beholder :wink: .
Mordeen

Postby Mordeen » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:37 am

I lifted this one off the internet because I don't have photoshop at my disposal atm, but I spotted it on the first viewing and it's even more stark with better adjustments.

the minds eye.jpg
the minds eye.jpg (34.01 KiB) Viewed 1009 times

- Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
baxter

Postby baxter » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:07 pm

Great- thanks Mordeen!

I retain some scepticism about this, but I can see where you are coming from. It did at least make me rewatch that episode last night, and I had forgotten how brilliant and mindblowing the whole thing is.

Return to “Parts Discussion”