Parts 1 & 2 - My log has a message for you & The stars turn and a time presents itself (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Re: Parts 1 + 2 (Spoilers)

Post by Esselgee »

I think they put Shelly's line in for all you James haters. "James has always been cool."

Thinking back, did James and Shelly really have any scenes together on the original series?
Robot Butler
RR Diner Member

Post by Robot Butler »

Esselgee wrote:I think they put Shelly's line in for all you James haters. "James has always been cool."

Thinking back, did James and Shelly really have any scenes together on the original series?
I think Bobby used to talk about killing James right in front of her.

But that's just bringing up old shit. They've all grown since then.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Can't get my eyes to focus, lol! So surreal. But amazing it's back. Going to have to watch other episodes tomorrow. Looking forward to reading all your thoughts then. Was amazing to see Coop and Laura in the red room, despite the curtains! Can't wait to see more. More TP scenes please! So glad it's back. Hope you all enjoyed it! Goodnight!
Last edited by Jonah on Sun May 21, 2017 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Esselgee wrote:I think they put Shelly's line in for all you James haters. "James has always been cool."
Goddamn right.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
wowbobwow_100

Post by wowbobwow_100 »

wow, I'm totally flashed. What a return. For me it's something like a best of David Lynch. It's a mixture of Eraserhead and Lost Highway. Especially episode 3 is pretty Eraserhead. Love it.
FlyingSquirrel
RR Diner Member

Post by FlyingSquirrel »

This is a minor point, but did anyone else notice how they seemed to be going out of their way not to show too much modern technology? Lucy and Hawk still have old-style telephones, the woman taking the crime scene photos has a camera like Andy uses in the pilot, and there's a big bulky video camera in the interrogation room. DoppelCooper has a laptop, but otherwise it seems like they're trying to preserve a retro vibe. Even the one cell phone I noticed looked a little bigger than average.
The Grey Lodge

Post by The Grey Lodge »

I hate the new Black Lodge/Red Room. In the original show, it was a real set and was so creepy, but here, it was a CGI travesty. I legit couldn't believe my eyes when I saw what became of TMFAP. I'm talking Sci-Fi channel bad.

I liked all the scenes with Doopleganger Cooper, Log Lady and Hawk. I enjoyed the recreation of Coopers dream from S1 with the aged Laura.

I hate the new "evil" or whatever it is. It feels out of place and more like the Japanese film 'The Ring'. All the atmosphere, suggestiveness and mystery is gone. Everything is now shown to us in our face.

While I'm used to Lynch allowing scenes to play out, here some felt like they dragged on way too long. A few choice edits here and there would've helped make things feel more snappy.

It bears repeating - the CGI was embarrassingly bad for the lodge. I wish they had just used a simple set.

The Black Lodge doesn't feel evil anymore. It's like they want to help Cooper leave whereas in S1/2, they felt like malevolent spirits. I"m not sure what they hell they are now.

I don't care that it was the ending to the second episode, the "ending" of episode 2 was the dumbest thing I've seen. No cliffhanger or anything. A band is singing on stage and credits roll. WTF was that?

There were some things I liked about it, but other things were so bad I can't help but feel disappointed. I'll give episodes 3/4 a shot, but man, I"m not getting a good feeling at all here.
Last edited by The Grey Lodge on Sun May 21, 2017 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maddy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Maddy »

Lol, you thought the demon scene was scary? I found that rather bad special effects and quite amusing, it kinda reminded me of Eraserhead. I liked some of it but was also bored with some of part 1(the camera scenes did not interest me that much or New York. I didn't like the final scene either.
To concentrate on what was good, I enjoyed seeing the bad Coop as he'd turned out, fascinating start with the giant and Agent Cooper all the scenes in the black lodge interested me. It was good to see the Palmers etc, especially Sarah. I was surprised to see Jacques Renault popping up and tending bar when he is supposed to be dead? However will they explain that? I did feel sorry for the good Coop and the one armed man to some extent and hope that he can really get out of the lodge..but yes some of those special effects were laughable.
The Angels will return...
Henrys Hair
RR Diner Member

Post by Henrys Hair »

Couldn't have started any better than that scene with Cooper & The Giant (or ????) then seemed to tail off after the first half-hour, not helped by (deliberately?) shitty FX. And yet... I was gripped near the end and wanted to see the next episodes right away.

Can't imagine this being anywhere near the hit the first series was, although for Lynch I can't imagine that's the point...
Henrys Hair
RR Diner Member

Post by Henrys Hair »

The Grey Lodge wrote: I legit couldn't believe my eyes when I saw what became of TMFAP. I'm talking Sci-Fi channel bad.
MJA likely recreated the opening scene of FWWM with his TV set tonight...
Mairzy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mairzy »

Chester Desmond wrote:"You're nice and wet"

Puke. Cringe.
I wanted to see the return of Chester Desmond tonight. But not in this way.
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

I loved it.

My biggest criticism though would be I am a little underwhelmed by the red room scenes. A little too much of the same. I liked where the lodge stuff went better in FWWM.

The murder mystery in buckhorn has got me super intrigued. The performances by the principal and the detective were awesome.

And the top secret room NY.?. That shit was scary. My guess is there is an entrance to the lodges there. Coop passed through there. Like an East coast glastonbury Grove. And It's connected to the Wink ez guy and Vegas somehow.

I guess you could say I was liking the new characters and places more than the familiar ones.

With 16 parts left to go. This thing is going to go places.

I
Mace
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mace »

Henrys Hair wrote:
The Grey Lodge wrote: I legit couldn't believe my eyes when I saw what became of TMFAP. I'm talking Sci-Fi channel bad.
MJA likely recreated the opening scene of FWWM with his TV set tonight...
:lol:
Mark B

Post by Mark B »

I was just bored for nearly the first hour. The problem for me was that it made zero attempt to create any sense of mystery - it just threw stuff at the screen and expected the audience to make the mystery themselves. One of Lynch's been his ability to create and sustain a sense of tone, yet it felt like this didn't know what it was or what it wanted to be. It left me not caring about what happens next. Suspect this will be even more divisive than FWWM! Loved the meta comment 'James has always been cool' - almost brought a tear to my eye that they were sticking up for him!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Faringold

Post by Faringold »

this was incredible

I didn't even care that it didn't feel very 'twin peaksy' in the small-town way that the old shows were.

I was enthralled by the whole thing and I can't wait to see more.