Parts 1 & 2 - My log has a message for you & The stars turn and a time presents itself (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

adl345
RR Diner Member

Re: Parts 1 + 2 (Spoilers)

Post by adl345 »

When an actor asks for too much money, you just replace him with an electric talking tree. Common sense really.
MasterMastermind
RR Diner Member

Post by MasterMastermind »

adl345 wrote:When an actor asks for too much money, you just replace him with an electric talking tree. Common sense really.
Little known fact, Coppola threatened to do this when Al Pacino initially wanted foo much for Godfather 3.
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

MoondogJR wrote:A few thoughts:

- I’m wondering if the scene with Ben & Jerry is leading somewhere. I have a feeling that that was it for those two characters…

The secretary was Ashley Judd I believe so I doubt that she would only be used for those two seconds. My guess is we will see them again but with how fast these episodes will blow by due to pacing I'm not sure how much.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
KHAN Games

Post by KHAN Games »

I loved it. :) Every second.

Disappointed that some of you are disappointed, but you definitely won't bring me down!

Totally psyched to see more!!!
Cipher
RR Diner Member

Post by Cipher »

People thought that was a tree and not a neuron?
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

I loved how all these odd creature effects and stuff look straight out of Lynch's paintings and other artworks.
Bloodflood
Roadhouse Member

Post by Bloodflood »

I loved every second of it
indyit
RR Diner Member

Post by indyit »

So the deep TP mythology is straight out of Eraserhead. It's crazy but I really like it. I love Lynch's insistence on all of the effects to have a certain look to it.

Twin Peaks is back. It is unmistakably Twin Peaks, but also completely it's own thing.
speedbeatz
Roadhouse Member

Post by speedbeatz »

SpookyDollhouse wrote:I loved how all these odd creature effects and stuff look straight out of Lynch's paintings and other artworks.
Exactly this. He's making the same type of art that he's been making for the past 10 years, just on a different canvas. I can understand some people feeling like the CGI is "bad"/cheap, but I'm sure the vast majority of it is intentional.
Driftwood
RR Diner Member

Post by Driftwood »

Yeah it all had a consistent Lynch look to me
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

So was Ben's office supposed to be the same office that he had on the old show? Was it just remodeled? Or moved to another part of the Great Northern? Am I just over thinking it?
Qubism
Roadhouse Member
Location: Another Place - Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

Post by Qubism »

OMFG, I loved every minute of it! If you love all of Lynch's work and even his art/sculpture/furniture design, I imagine you would love it all. I only just crammed in nearly all of my re-watch in the last few days (broke my foot so can't do much else! grrrrr!) I actually didn't even mind the season 2 stuff believe it or not! I just watched the last season 2 ep just before the return 1 & 2 and my jaw was on the floor frankly. If it carried on exactly like S2 1991 era I would have been disappointed. I actually hoped that at this stage in his career with this budget and COMPLETE artistic freedom that he would really push the boat out. This man is a genuine surrealist artist working in the medium of film and TV.

I'm reminded of when Woody Allen wanted to progress and did some slightly more serious philosophical films, lots of people were annoyed at the lack of comedy altogether as though one director should only do one kind of film. I think in Stardust Memories he plays the character of a film director at a retrospective of his films and the audience characters were coming up to him and saying "we preferred your earlier funnier films......" but an artist never simply wants to repeat what they've already done.

I loved all the acting, the pacing, everything. As for the FX, Lynch only ever really used to do practical effects often just involving speeding up or slowing the film and it's obvious that's exactly what he wanted. I imagine if he wanted ILM to do all the CGI, he would have got that because Showtime seemed to have let him do whatever he wanted and when he needed a bigger budget, they gave it to him.

The evolution of the arm reminds me very much of some of Lynch's sculpture/constructions so it seemed fine for me.

I will just say, I cannot imagine what the casual viewer will think. I don't really care though and I don't think Frost or Lynch made this for them. I think it's pretty vital really to have seen everything that came before, S1 &2, FWWM, even the missing pieces. I was almost surprised (pleasantly) at even the early mention of quite specific/obscure things like Blue Rose and Philip Jeffries.

So personally, I am ecstatic.

Here in the UK I was ready to drop a nuclear bomb on Sky HQ (maybe still will later !) because at 4am many of us couldn't immediately find part 3 & 4 on demand. After about 30 mins of teeth gnashing and people moaning on Twitter they appeared on our sky boxes, but I still have yet to see them as they seem to be downloading sloooooooooowly despite me having a very fast fibre optic connection!

Also many Now TV users don't know if they can get 3 & 4 on demand/streaming at all......

I'm going to see if 3 has downloaded now.......
speedbeatz
Roadhouse Member

Post by speedbeatz »

Esselgee wrote:So was Ben's office supposed to be the same office that he had on the old show? Was it just remodeled? Or moved to another part of the Great Northern? Am I just over thinking it?
The police department looked significantly remodeled as well (no entrance forechamber anymore), so I feel like it's conceivable that Ben's office has moved or been restructured.
crazyscottishguy
RR Diner Member

Post by crazyscottishguy »

I loved Part1 more than Part2.

My only complaint is the Red Room scenes. You can clearly see the difference between digital and celluloid. And the arm tree, or whatever it is now and its doppelganger, looked unconvincing. A freaking doppelganger tree attacking Cooper...i didn't know how to react :lol:

Ans Sarah Palmer watching those lions devouring their prey was so awesomely disturbing!
soundchaser

Post by soundchaser »

crazyscottishguy wrote:My only complaint is the Red Room scenes. You can clearly see the difference between digital and celluloid.
I disagree - the scene where Coop walked sideways through what looked like a solid set of curtains had my jaw on the floor. That felt like a perfect use of CGI to me.