Parts 1 & 2 - My log has a message for you & The stars turn and a time presents itself (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Re: Parts 1 + 2 (Spoilers)

Post by Soolsma »

evil.png
evil.png (170.4 KiB) Viewed 10055 times
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Mallard
RR Diner Member

Post by Mallard »

Soolsma wrote:evil.png
That startled me more than actually seeing it on the show.
Welcome...to the third...place.
hopesfall
RR Diner Member

Post by hopesfall »

Seeing a few complaints about this online. I think it looks incredibly sinister, and way more unsettling than an explicit CGI monster in a glass box.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

ghost.png
ghost.png (190.63 KiB) Viewed 10035 times
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

I'm still processing. I've seen the first 3 and looking forward to pt 4 tonight.

I like that it has me out of my comfort zone. It feels like Lynch but I don't really think we can point to any one thing he's done before for a comparison - it's definitely something new.

There are a few things I don't really like about it that I expect will grow on me.
The red room material, unfortunately, might not - it's especially jarring when the footage from the original is used as a flashback.

My favourite scene so far is Sarah Palmer at home watching the nature documentary. The camera movement is amazing and I love that it's just endless footage of a lion attack. I was expecting to see her watch Football or something boring based on what she said in Between Two Worlds, this is much more interesting!

OH and the weird statue in the prison cell! Thanks for reminding me Soolsma. That was damn fine and strange! I am excited to rewatch. A second viewing of Lynch is often the best kind!

Part 3 is definitely my favourite so far.
v2david

Post by v2david »

arfredo wrote: I don't feel the Inland Empire vibe that some people are feeling in these two episodes. And I'm happy for it, because IE is probably the only Lynch film that I can't stand. The feel has much more to do with Eraserhead, Lost Highway and Mulholland Dr (and obviously Twin Peaks) that IE.
Feel the exact same way. I love Lynch, but I can't stand Inland Empire. I'd agree though that this feels like a mix of Eraserhead, Lost Highway & Mulholland Dr thrown in with the "Missing Pieces". It left me with a WTF feeling, which is one of the things I love about David Lynch.

The problem here though is our expectations. Many of us went into this expecting to see Twin Peaks Season 3, as if nothing had changed in the past 25 years except the age of the actors. This is clearly not Twin Peaks Season 3. This is a complete re-imagining of Twin Peaks by David Lynch. It is not what most of us were expecting. But TPTB are partially responsible for these expectations with their complete secrecy except rebroadcasting the original series & FWWM. We die-hard fans have Twin Peaks so fresh now in our minds, it feels as if the original series came out yesterday. The irony of course of all of this is a recent interview in which they asked David Lynch if he had gone back to rewatch the series while working on the new one, and he said he had not. That's a major hint right there. If David Lynch didn't need to go back reference the original series much, there was no need for us to either. Sure having a memory of the series helps, but revisiting it right before the premiere of the return, actually did more harm then good. It makes us unfairly compare this new work to something quite different and over 25 years old.

All that being said, if you go into watching this as a new experience (without expecting it to be Twin Peaks Season 3) I think you will be more open to having a much better experience.
Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Post by Troubbble »

Still unpacking everything from these first two episodes, but regarding the Frost/Lynch collaboration... I found it interesting to imagine Mark directing these same episodes in David's place. After all, that WAS the supposed plan for a time, when Lynch appeared to be leaving the project at the last second a couple of years ago.

Although the tone and content so far obviously feels like PURE David Lynch, I have to assume Mark was involved and approving every step of the way.

I am also half-expecting (and maybe more than half HOPING) that Dale's return "home" to Twin Peaks may coincide with the reemergence of a more familiar mood and tone, akin to their past collaborations. For now, though, we have mostly been exploring the world of the black lodge denizens and the inherently-related world of American criminality and violence...and that's all kind of David's neck of the woods.
Fashion Suicide
Roadhouse Member

Post by Fashion Suicide »

WOW! I just realized this now, but, i was at a David Lynch art exhibition once in copenhagen, and he had a whole room with paintings of faceless white creatures with tits and some of them had both tits and male genitals. This looks A LOT like those paintings.. I wonder what they are.
teddyleevin
Roadhouse Member

Post by teddyleevin »

StealThisCorn wrote:A little disappointed Sheryl Lee didn’t deliver that line, “but sometimes my arms bend back” with the same disturbing pained expression she did in Cooper’s dream from Episode 2. Lost some of its gravitas this way.
Well her arms only bend back sometimes.
Fashion Suicide
Roadhouse Member

Post by Fashion Suicide »

Snailhead wrote:The red room material, unfortunately, might not - it's especially jarring when the footage from the original is used as a flashback.
This. I was cringing my toes over the flashback. "Do you remember your doppelganger?" .. "Uhm, no. Please remind me with a flashback that's shot in film, and don't fit in here at all."
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I think all that very baldfaced dialogue was in keeping with a lot of the Red Room stuff in Ep 29, FWWM and TMP. As well as stuff in MD, LH, etc. Sort of a purity.

I also made a big mistake - the girl James was eyeing, Shelly's friend, is Renee, played by Jessica Szohr.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

Wonderful & Strange wrote: For example, Cooper's glitchy disappearance from his conversation with the Giant is meant to look "unreal.".
This was one of my favourite parts. Beautifully done!
"Your log and I are on the same page."
speedbeatz
Roadhouse Member

Post by speedbeatz »

Is the song that plays during the drive through the woods just before we see Bad Coop new music from the show/available to listen to anywhere?
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

speedbeatz wrote:Is the song that plays during the drive through the woods just before we see Bad Coop new music from the show/available to listen to anywhere?
I don't think so. I think it's Lynch's own remix of Muddy Magnolias' "American Woman". I hope it's released soon.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
ciro161

Post by ciro161 »

This is total conjecture, but when Laura told Cooper "I am dead, yet I live," and shortly thereafter is seemingly sucked out of the Lodge, could the good Laura have also been trapped and is now free? Perhaps it was her doppelganger who was murdered all those years ago...

Admittedly my theory is based on my love for the character and wanting her to have some justice. Maybe over the course of this series, we'll see her go home to her mother.