Parts 1 & 2 - My log has a message for you & The stars turn and a time presents itself (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

baxter
Great Northern Member

Re: Parts 1 + 2 (Spoilers)

Post by baxter »

The bad coop is much better than the finale of S2 to my eyes, i.e. matter of fact brutal, not hammy or cheesy.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Ok. Crazy man that I am, I've just rewatched parts one and two. I initially watched the first two parts at 2am BST, the next two parts with breakfast this morning (ok, brunch; I slept in late.) I rewatched one and two this afternoon.

I've changed my mind as a result: I love it. I can't recommend giving the opening parts a rewatch, after seeing 1-4 through once, more strongly. Seeing it without the initial shock of the new, this feels absolutely part of the Twin Peaks universe. If FWWM moved the Twin Peaks story out into a bigger world, then this moves things into a bigger universe. Watching it again, it feels massive and epic. I can't wait to rewatch episodes three and four.

Can't get that song, Shadow, out of my head either.

Twin Peaks back; I'm so happy!! I get it now!
Judge Giant
Roadhouse Member

Post by Judge Giant »

That *thing* in the jail cell....creepy as hell. I'll have nightmares about that for sure.

In an attempt to try and diminish his haunting impact, I've affectionately called him 'The Charred Pirate'...
This was a vision, fresh and clear as a mountain stream. The mind revealing itself to itself.

Visit my Lynch blog at https://lynchiantimes.wordpress.com, or follow on twitter https://twitter.com/LynchianTimes
Rain

Post by Rain »

i like one of the dialogues "I don't NEED anything, I WANT things"
asquideatingdough
Roadhouse Member

Post by asquideatingdough »

StealThisCorn wrote: Any theories on the significance of the Ace of Spades with the black insect-like head?
I'm probably just wanting it to look like an owl, but I really can't not see it as an owl.
BEARisonFord
RR Diner Member

Post by BEARisonFord »

Current Mood
Attachments
jack-kyle.gif
jack-kyle.gif (870.21 KiB) Viewed 9845 times
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Gabriel wrote:Twin Peaks back; I'm so happy!! I get it now!
One of us
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Rain wrote:i like one of the dialogues "I don't NEED anything, I WANT things"
That was terrifying. There was so much quotable dialogue.

I didn't even notice the Bad Dale was eating creamed corn.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

N. Needleman wrote:
GrapesOnTheEdge wrote:- I think Red Room Laura was sucked away screaming because she overstepped her authority there.
I think something attacked her. And I think she's somewhere Coop has to find her. I would not be shocked if she's alive. I cannot tell you how that makes me feel, as Laura is my favorite.
Yep, I think what we saw here was Laura being punished (by Bob?) for whispering something in Cooper's ear. This may have been the moment when she told him her father killed her.

Later Leland tells Cooper to find Laura. So I do agree that Laura is going to come back to the world!

What an amazing ending that would be!
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

Gabriel wrote: I've changed my mind as a result: I love it.
Hurray! I hope that this happens to lots of people. It genuinely saddened me to see so many avid fans disappointed. I felt like I was given a gift that others weren't.
Gabriel wrote:Watching it again, it feels massive and epic.
This is precisely the feeling I got from the opening credits. Same title theme and font, but the tight shot of the waterfall now replaced with the slow overhead, and the shots of timber now replaced by the whole misty forest...
Ubermensch33
Roadhouse Member

Post by Ubermensch33 »

I loved it, although I felt like at times it was a brand new Lynch film that was strangely trying to incorporate Twin Peaks' characters into it. Even Andy and Lucy's bit together seemed forced - I almost found myself clamoring for new Lynch as opposed to old Peaks. But, I think it's way too early to analyze much of anything other than how it made me feel, overall.

I do think, though, it wouldn't have worked if the whole thing was set in Twin Peaks, and the only thing that had changed was the ages of the characters. It had to be something way, way different.

I see a lot of complaints about the CGI. I'm not trying to overcredit Lynch, here, but you have to think that stuff is all intentional, or at worst, he just doesn't care all that much. Neither do I.

I seem to be alone in absolutely loving the ending at the Bang Bang Bar, and that it just ended without a cliffhanger like so many shows do. To me it's more enticing that way. It builds suspense. A long, drawn out scene that seems to be meaningless (but we do see a few new characters).

You have to give Lynch the benefit of the doubt that the seemingly meaningless/forced parts will become clear with time.

One thing I will say is that I normally struggle to make it through a 2 hour movie in one sitting. I had no problem with 2.5 hours of Lynch last night. And we can talk about specific analysis all we want, at the end of the day, I was glued to the TV, and that's the gift of Lynch IMO.
Judge Giant
Roadhouse Member

Post by Judge Giant »

asquideatingdough wrote:
StealThisCorn wrote: Any theories on the significance of the Ace of Spades with the black insect-like head?
I'm probably just wanting it to look like an owl, but I really can't not see it as an owl.
I'm pretty sure it is the owl symbol, just a bloated/distorted version of it.
This was a vision, fresh and clear as a mountain stream. The mind revealing itself to itself.

Visit my Lynch blog at https://lynchiantimes.wordpress.com, or follow on twitter https://twitter.com/LynchianTimes
GrapesOnTheEdge

Post by GrapesOnTheEdge »

Is the charred/black figure in the cell next to Hastings the same being that was seen in the woods just before Major Briggs was abducted in Ep 17?
Attachments
tpep17_213.jpg
tpep17_213.jpg (21.23 KiB) Viewed 9798 times
Chester Desmond
Roadhouse Member

Post by Chester Desmond »

GrapesOnTheEdge wrote:Is the charred/black figure in the cell next to Hastings the same being that was seen in the woods just before Major Briggs was abducted in Ep 17?
No, it's not.
Hang loose, Houlies
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I loved the ending at the Roadhouse. Adored it.