Parts 1 & 2 - My log has a message for you & The stars turn and a time presents itself (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

garethw
RR Diner Member

Re: Parts 1 + 2 (Spoilers)

Post by garethw »

twin-b wrote:
iar wrote:Finally, I want to interject on the FX situation. I dunno.. but I just don't understand the complaints. The FX back in 1990 sucked. The FX in all of Lynch's films have sucked. I've always thought it to be completely intentional, an attempt at reaching a certain aesthetic. It's also now 2017 and technologically-speaking, budget allowing, he could do almost anything he wanted to do and have it look fairly real. But why would Lynch ever do that? FX today are overused and as a consequence create predictable scenes. His hokey, hand made, ridiculous effects - when they land - wow... let me just say, that charcoal man in the jail cell. I will see that in my nightmares.
Setting aside Eraserhead and Inland Empire I'm sincerely curious to be reminded of a few examples of bad FX in his films?

Also, I'm curious if people thought the decapitated corpse looked real. I can appreciate the argument around how do you make an electric tree with an amorphous head look real. But if you balance that with really good, believable FX in more realistic situations, I think the more artistic stuff would feel more purposeful.
Quite a few, I think:
  • * Superposition of Laura's face on Sarah in TP.
    * Superposition of Mystery Man's face on Renee in LH.
    * Crazy Laura Dern face in IE.
    * And the classic: Mechanical robin in BV
The decapitated head reminds me of the Black Dahlia, FWIW. Didn't Lynch have an option to film that at some point?
Nighthawk
RR Diner Member

Post by Nighthawk »

I thought there were some good parts and some bad parts. Overall, I feel that various scenes drag on too long for no reason whatsoever. They tend to lose rather than build emotional tension. Not all of them, but quite a few.

I also think that the series should narrow down its focus on Twin Peaks and not the whole wide world. The worst parts of the original series had to do with things like Josie's connections to Mafia in Hong-Kong or even Seattle. It's the mixture of intimacy and terror that made Twin Peaks so effective back in the 90's.
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

Gabriel wrote:I can't recommend giving the opening parts a rewatch, after seeing 1-4 through once, more strongly. Seeing it without the initial shock of the new, this feels absolutely part of the Twin Peaks universe. If FWWM moved the Twin Peaks story out into a bigger world, then this moves things into a bigger universe. Watching it again, it feels massive and epic.
After rewatching parts 1 & 2 I agree 100%. I love it more and more.
MasterMastermind
RR Diner Member

Post by MasterMastermind »

SpookyDollhouse wrote:There's all this praise for Frost on the board and then turning around and saying "well it's weird where's Frost??" makes him seem like a one trick pony. And that's not the only time I've seen him and Lynch referred to as such. Who says he can't write like that?

Sing his praises, call it a group effort, but then you don't see a mark of "normality" and then go "wut that not he it only Lynch!!"

He deserves more credit right? Well right now I think he definitely does. :D
Agreed. I definitely see Mark in this, and it's brilliant. The New York section, the dialogue, and the sprawling novelistic structure especially. The idea Mark is some normie looking to reign David in is a myth, as LostInTheMovies' Journey Through Twin Peaks and TSHOTP indicates.
Cipher
RR Diner Member

Post by Cipher »

Anyone else like that all the people who have been interacting with Bad Cooper during the last two decades have no idea that the unstoppable malicious force they've been dealing with is -- in fact -- actually a literal manifestation of evil? Makes you think back to Dennis Hopper's character in Blue Velvet and any of the other real-world villains in Lynch's films. A real statement on cruelty and the ability of the world to transition suddenly into Hell. It only takes the wrong person walking into your life. Those themes of inescapability and cruelty run all through Lynch's works. What's the difference between an uncaring human and a supernatural demon? What do we really fear? Etc.

Also, I've found that I'm pretty simpatico with the A.V. Club review. There's some great writing on the camera imagery (another Lynch favorite) at play with the glass box: http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/its-nightm ... -ly-255515
Last edited by Cipher on Mon May 22, 2017 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Trudy Chelgren
RR Diner Member

Post by Trudy Chelgren »

I thought the first two parts were stunning. The effects, however objectively unconvincing they may be in terms of realism, had me completely under their spell. I don't try and relate them to 'the real world', whatever that even means. I think that's counter-intuitive.

Favourite things;

Matthew Lillard (a revelation), MacLachlan's eyes as Cooper's doppelganger, "Am I free to go officers?", the evolution of The Arm, manifestations in the glass box, The Log Lady, the Black Lodge expansion, and the poignant ending in The Roadhouse
Cipher
RR Diner Member

Post by Cipher »

Trudy Chelgren wrote:I thought the first two parts were stunning. The effects, however objectively unconvincing they may be in terms of realism, had me completely under their spell. I don't try and relate them to 'the real world', whatever that even means. I think that's counter-intuitive.
Realism is just an aesthetic and it's never been Lynch's.
I'm still at a loss as to why the effects are suddenly the subject of complaints.
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

Oh, and i loved the original pilot reference with the flashlight.
kupe

Post by kupe »

Jerry Horne wrote:
kupe wrote:Do we know who the actor playing the burnt wide eyed figure in the jail cell is?
My first thought was David Patrick Kelly. Probably not though.
Wow, there's definitely a resemblance there. That would be...interesting. I don't remember seeing if that character was in the credits
Fashion Suicide
Roadhouse Member

Post by Fashion Suicide »

Gabriel wrote:Ok. Crazy man that I am, I've just rewatched parts one and two. I initially watched the first two parts at 2am BST, the next two parts with breakfast this morning (ok, brunch; I slept in late.) I rewatched one and two this afternoon.

I've changed my mind as a result: I love it. I can't recommend giving the opening parts a rewatch, after seeing 1-4 through once, more strongly. Seeing it without the initial shock of the new, this feels absolutely part of the Twin Peaks universe. If FWWM moved the Twin Peaks story out into a bigger world, then this moves things into a bigger universe. Watching it again, it feels massive and epic. I can't wait to rewatch episodes three and four.

Can't get that song, Shadow, out of my head either.

Twin Peaks back; I'm so happy!! I get it now!
Yep! On second viewing, it feels more right. Much more. I LOVE IT! And now, as the sun has gone down, i'm gonna watch part 3 & 4... I'm excited as hell.
Moz

Post by Moz »

Esselgee wrote:I think they put Shelly's line in for all you James haters. "James has always been cool."

Thinking back, did James and Shelly really have any scenes together on the original series?
As someone who has always loved James, I thought Shelly's line was fantastic!!
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Watched Part 1 solo on the Showtime Anytime App and the credits role over the B&W gramophone.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
vanderohe

Post by vanderohe »

IT IS JUST SO GREAT, BUT
it could be more angelo
>>>>two and two do not always equal four >>>>
gladhand

Post by gladhand »

Long term lurker but don't post often...but as someone who always rated the film over the series, the first two episodes for me, were absolutely mind-blowing.

I had zero expectations though; I honestly thought it was going to be a horrible re-hash of wall-to-wall doughnuts and cherry pie. I couldn't have been more wrong. If there had a been a fish in a percolator, I would have switched off and left it there.

Going to pace myself and not watch the next two just yet, but so far, I'm very impressed. This is a very different beast. It's not really Twin Peaks at all, and I'm totally okay with that.
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

Jerry Horne wrote:Watched Part 1 solo on the Showtime Anytime App and the credits role over the B&W gramophone.
Jep, here in Belgium it was only like this. Two separate episodes of one hour.
"Your log and I are on the same page."