Parts 1 & 2 - My log has a message for you & The stars turn and a time presents itself (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

thefifthlizard
Roadhouse Member

Re: Parts 1 + 2 (Spoilers)

Post by thefifthlizard »

Some of the lodge scenes were slightly underwhelming but I love the arms new form.
JohnnyW

Post by JohnnyW »

Gabriel wrote:If the original show was 'Blue Velvet: the Series,' then this is 'Eraserhead meets Inland Empire, via Lost Highway: the series.'

For me, the excessive digital look, the weird FX and the lack of a proper score make it feel cheap. It makes it feel like a bunch of actors popped in on a day off to record a couple of scenes the way actors do if they're making a short for a charity telethon.

Don't get me wrong, this a whacked out, fun fantasy show, but this isn't the filmic, emotional, grounded-yet-surreal drama series by an enfant-terrible filmmaker from the 1990s that led to a beautiful movie. This is an elderly David Lynch let loose with a load of money to make a thematic sequel to Inland Empire. I liked the final scene and the song, but I'm not engaging with the characters right now; rather I'm seeing actors playing roles.

I'll wait and see; I like the show, but I don't particularly feel like I'm watching Twin Peaks. Very torn.
You've summed up exactly how I feel. Torn. It's just not Twin Peaks, but that doesn't mean I'm not enjoying it. It definitely owes more to Eraserhead and Inland Empire than anything else.

In a way it's a shame. I thought there might be more Frost. It seems now as though the show is Lynch and the books are Frost. I miss the original show and I was honestly expecting something more like that. Or even Fire Walk With Me.

DL is capable of incredibly strong storytelling, but his heart is clearly somewhere else these days. Twin Peaks was once a balance of art and entertainment. Now it's pure art. I respect it for that, but my heart is still missing the magic that made me love Twin Peaks to begin with.

As someone I know put it: The original show was about revealing the crazy underbelly of a seemingly normal town. In the new show the world is crazy to the point where a shred of normalcy would stand out.
Kilmoore
RR Diner Member

Post by Kilmoore »

JohnnyW wrote:As someone I know put it: The original show was about revealing the crazy underbelly of a seemingly normal town. In the new show the world is crazy to the point where a shred of normalcy would stand out.
True. But the world is a very different place and the stories we tell are different. We already know that even in the seemingly most idyllic town there is a dark side, retelling that wouldn't be a story worth telling now.
mfleite
Roadhouse Member

Post by mfleite »

Did you notice when James & Eddie enter the bar, Eddie is wearing a green glove on his right hand?
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

*Freddie.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
djsunyc
RR Diner Member

Post by djsunyc »

im not sure about love opening the portal. wouldnt explain coop's appearance when nobody was there. i also thought the spirit that came after coop left was the tree from another place's doppleganger that was chasing cooper after he said "non-existent" or something it sent to go get coop.
somevelvetmorning

Post by somevelvetmorning »

I can't stop looking at that gif of Mrs Hastings getting shot. It really does look like a grey haired person, clad in denim, for a brief moment.
Also, what exactly does evil Cooper say just before he shoots her? Wasn't it something like "You do human interaction so well"? Possibly hinting that she (or what is controlling her) isn't human.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I can't tell what I'm looking at there. It could be her hair in motion, it could be something else. We need a clearer shot.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
BMS242
Roadhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: Parts 1 + 2 (Spoilers)

Post by BMS242 »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:(although, given the odd script-page-to-screentime ratio, I wonder whether that "pilot" script might have covered well more than the first two Parts).
While watching the first two Parts, this thought crossed my mind, and after watching Part 3, I feel that much more strongly that this may be the case. (I haven't had a chance to watch Part 4, so it's driving me nuts that I can't visit the Parts 3 and 4 thread.) Definitely thought of the Eraserhead script in terms of how Lynch can turn a brief scene in a script in terms of dialogue to a very lengthy scene.

In fact, with the unorthodox way that Parts 3 and 4 were released, I wonder if those first two hours of what was thought to be a nine hour script is captured in Parts 1 through 4.

Also, greetings everyone! Long time lurker. Have very much enjoyed everyone's views and analysis of the show over the years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
TwinsPeak
RR Diner Member

Post by TwinsPeak »

people that talk about episodes 3 & 4 in this thread should be booted from this website for life IMO....some people are waiting till next week to watch them dont spoil the mystery..

I really liked the the first 2 episodes. But I'll start with the things I didnt like.

1. The evolution of the arm. I think Lynch let his disagreement with MJA get in the way of the story. Those scenes would have been so much better with MJA than a electric tree with a whispering brain, and the arms doppleganger even harder to wrap my head around. I hope Lynch finds a way to justify the evolution of the arm so that I dont mind it as much.
2. I wish there was more music by Angelo, I'm sure there will be more of it later on.
3. Character development, hoping the plot stops jumping around so much.

and now the things I like.

1. Kyle Maclachan, evil Coop is amazing.
2. I wanted more Red room stuff, and man they gave us a lot right away....maybe too much to start...but had they not given any i would have been dissapointed.
3. I thought the brothers Horne were funny. Jerry being a pothead is amazing.
4. Any new Twin Peaks is an amazing gift, so happy to have new Twin Peaks/Lynch stuff to watch over the summer. I have re watched the 2 episodes 3 times now. They get better and better each time :)

Questions I have.
When cooper saw the driving car from the red room with evil cooper in the car. Was that the time to make the switch?

Did a spirit fly out of Mrs. Hastings?

What is up with the white eyed guy with oil all over him?

And who really pulled the trigger on JFK?
Last edited by TwinsPeak on Tue May 23, 2017 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Wanting something to be different will not make it so." "Explaining a different rule is not complaining for months. A lie will never be true." - Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Nothing really, it's just multiple frames of the same motion superimposed. There is nothing more to see than variants of this:
motion.png
motion.png (372.36 KiB) Viewed 8557 times
It's okay, I have a case of hypochondriac thinking when it comes to blue denim possession as well.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

somevelvetmorning wrote:I can't stop looking at that gif of Mrs Hastings getting shot. It really does look like a grey haired person, clad in denim, for a brief moment.
Also, what exactly does evil Cooper say just before he shoots her? Wasn't it something like "You do human interaction so well"? Possibly hinting that she (or what is controlling her) isn't human.
I think that was just BadCoop's jab at the general human condition.

And no, I don't think there was any gray hair or denim seen in that scene. I shot that with my camera, at night, straight at the tv, so the quality is not good. I already deleted the original video and screenshots so I don't have any better quality or bigger quality version to examine.

But when I was doing the gif and taking the screenshots I don't think I ever even entertained an idea of something else getting out of Mrs. Hastings.
To me there seems to be blood splashing out of her and then there are the obvious image warpings and doublings.
I would say there is only Mrs. Hastings but at some point it looks like the image consists of three takes put together, or just the same take but an image from two or three different times of that take.

Now, this could be interpreted as maybe two sides of Mrs. Hastings leaving at the moment of death. Like, she and her doppelganger leaving the body. The soul leaves the body, but as it's Twin Peaks and its mythology, there are always two versions of a person in one body.

Anyway I can't see Bob or any kind of a Lodge person in that gif at all. Unless of course you count the possible doppelganger as a Lodge person. Every person there is in that gif is Mrs. Hastings.
Driftwood
RR Diner Member

Post by Driftwood »

TwinsPeak wrote:I think Lynch let his disagreement with MJA get in the way of the story.
people are aware michael anderson is literally off his rocker at this point yeah?
TwinsPeak
RR Diner Member

Post by TwinsPeak »

Driftwood wrote:
TwinsPeak wrote:I think Lynch let his disagreement with MJA get in the way of the story.
people are aware michael anderson is literally off his rocker at this point yeah?

I am very much aware....Lynch could have used another little person other than MJA, and yes he could have still used MJA. Like I said I hope Lynch helps me adjust to the evolution of the Arm.
"Wanting something to be different will not make it so." "Explaining a different rule is not complaining for months. A lie will never be true." - Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Another little person? I think it's obvious that at this point Lynch doesn't like the idea of recasting. It would not fit the non-nostalgia trip we're on now. MJA not working? Okay, add ''when you see me again it won't be me.'' to that equation, then a little Lynchian randomness and you have your talking tree. Btw, is that a sycamore?
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."